Home brewed starting device

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Home brewed starting device

Post by Michael Stride » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 pm

I've just made this little starting device for Dual lane 'random' starts. I made a bigger version with switchs to determine the second timing, using speakers and a 'beep' tone generator, but felt a simpler,less power hungry and compact version would be nice.

By pressing Red square button on the right gives a one second burst of sound through two Piezo buzzers from a reversing warning system. Cheap ,compact and make a nice/awful beep. The pos and neg outputs are at the top of the device.

The starter then presses the R/H red button and that starts both clocks going and also another 1 second beep , determined by a 555 chip circuit giving a 1 second 'monoshot'. The wires to the timer on/off are poking out the sides.

The device also incorporates a relay, that when triggered by a tapeswitch prevents the l/H buzzer switch operating, and throuws up a flashing red LED indicator to the botton r/h and L/h sides of the box indicating which lane false started first. The central round red button re-sets everything.

The batterys (two 9v) are kept out side the case for easy/fast replacement.

To go with the box I have built tow extra toys....a VERY LOUD klaxon alarm to be sounded if a false start occurs. I alsobuilt a simple electronic die, to randomly generate the time spacing. All the starter needs do is count in their head the time between buzzer 1, and the start.

This is to work with the 'random' start system, where racers only go on the final beep, not before.

it measures 5' x3" approx

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:04 pm

here is a shot of the klaxon device....it is VERY VERY loud and will stop racers if they false start ro we need to put out an alarm during the race.

The die device is just a bit of fun, as we found that you need to be 'told' what a random tme is, its acually quite difficult to do... alternatives would be a simple die, or one of those dome die devices you get in kids games.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Michael, I think you need to work a little bit on the focus in the first pic ;)

Would it be hard to get the die into the box, so that you just push the button and the alarm would go of after the given number of seconds (without the 'counting in your head')?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:21 pm

It is possible, I made a starter with 6 switches, and a countdown system. It would 'buzz' on 1,2 and then the defined second after that. All you need do is click the second you required and it would countdown accurately.

It got a little complicated on wiring and required more power. Also th ecost of switches and parts and complicated wiring gets to the point where I'd consider buying the 'Alge' start beep, an off the shelf system.
http://www.splitsecond.com.au/startbeep.htm

It had 1 circuit for the timing, 1 for the amp, 1 for the tone generator, and the false start etc .....

Ive put it to one side for the moment, as I want a bullet proof system for Cadwell.

As we are using a 'random' start at Cadwell , 1 'elephant' 2 'elephant' etc will be fine.