Seismic / 3dm Skateboard Wheels

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Seth Levy

avila vs. avilon vs. cambria

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:57 am

which is best for ts?

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:56 pm

Similarly I would like to see someone's best guess on the actual differences. Pick a road surface like, say, the streets of downtown morro bay since many of us have experienced that or at least seen it, and describe what difference one would experience stepping up or down in size or down in duro.

I ask because no one seems to talk much about the Cambria but I just like the look/feel of them, probably because they are closer in size to the wheels I'm used to running on my vert boards. How much slower would cambrias be? And might not this be a good thing anyway for a slalom novice like myself? ha!

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:15 pm

Here's something I recently posted:

"When you have 3 different sizes and 15 different durometers to choose from, it's a challenge to guess what will work best. In general, the largest wheel that you can control through a course is likely to be the fastest. The Cambrias (62mm) have the best traction of the 3dm wheels, and they're also the most nimble, but Cambrias don't carry as much speed as the larger Avalons or Avilas. On a steeper course where you don't need to generate or carry speed, the smaller wheels will generally give you an advantage, but on flatter or more gradual courses, the opposite is true.

If you can pick only one size and durometer, the Avalon 78a (turquoise) or Avalon 80a (white) will probably give you the most all-around flexibility."

I'll add the following comment - the size of the rider is a factor as well in selection of wheels - a larger rider will generate a larger traction patch than a smaller rider on the same wheel. So for a small rider like Dylan, an Avalon will have the same feel for him relative to a Cambria as an Avila will feel for me relative to an Avalon.

For control, precision and traction, the Cambria's are outstanding, and while you don't hear a lot about them, they are actually very popular wheels.

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:03 pm

Thank you Howard. I think I just might go with some soft Cambrias to start, since I need to concentrate on form, control, and not killing myself, so traction is more important than speed for now. Right now I have a new turner gs/hybrid board and new trackers and hand-me-down wheels (but still in good shape: 63.5mm/94a la costas in the front and 62mm/78a fiberflex in the back). I'm not sure this is the board for me though in the long run since it seems more right for a more parallel stance and I'm coming from a more surfstance background in skateboarding/surfing. But it's fun for now! Thanks for the education!

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:44 pm

You might consider running 82a Cambrias around, or perhaps 82's in front and 78's in rear. You will get super traction, but still plenty of speed.