Ick is one of the best

Ick Slalom Boards

Moderator: Rick Howell

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:29 pm

I had an Ick for a while. I liked it but I found the flat topped deck disconcerting. After getting used to a Turner it felt weird under my feet. I had a Steve Evans fat tail with an outrageuosly short wheelbase and it did rock. It wasn't the wheelbase that threw me but that flat top. You guys that ride Comet's should find these decks to your liking. Coming to a flat top from one would seem to be a smaller transition than a Turner with rolled edges.

I sold my Ick to Geezer-X and he raves about it. He's currently riding a Roe so there is no transition as far as a rolled deck is concerned. Roe's are flat topped.

I'd like some views on the Carrera. I've only ridden Kenny Mollica's for a brief run but found it stable and a bit different to my feet.
My amp is warmed up and I'm ready to shred!!!

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:11 pm

I'm a pool skater as well Bob and I like a hard edged board, much like my personal Blackbird and Graphite Loaded that you have purchased from me. I like to feel the edge of the board, it is a function that serves me well. Don't get me wrong, I dig my rolled edge board too, it serves a different purpose, but I don't think it is fair to compare a Comet to a Ick. As far as "hard edged" is concerned yes, but they are both unique in their demographic and construction. I am sure you agree Bob, this is no challenge, just personal comments.

:grin:

Anyway.

I am also VERY interested in the Carrera boards that Ick offers. I've asked Ick Sticks a few questions about the Carrera which they were quick to respond to. They have a 36" model with camber and a kick tail, hmmm.

Can you guys (and girls) who have an Ick, please post some pictures for us? Maybe we can get Rick to tell us a little bit about the Carrera GS.

Thanks in advance.
On 2002-08-31 16:29, Bob Frias wrote:
I had an Ick for a while. I liked it but I found the flat topped deck disconcerting. After getting used to a Turner it felt weird under my feet. I had a Steve Evans fat tail with an outrageuosly short wheelbase and it did rock. It wasn't the wheelbase that threw me but that flat top. You guys that ride Comet's should find these decks to your liking. Coming to a flat top from one would seem to be a smaller transition than a Turner with rolled edges.

I sold my Ick to Geezer-X and he raves about it. He's currently riding a Roe so there is no transition as far as a rolled deck is concerned. Roe's are flat topped.

I'd like some views on the Carrera. I've only ridden Kenny Mollica's for a brief run but found it stable and a bit different to my feet.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:02 pm

Hello all.

I am a proud new owner of an Ick Mini Carerra. I just got it 3 days ago. Anyways it's phenominal. Let me tell you why.

1) The Howells. Rick and Carin are great people to work with, and they're great people in general too.

2) Shape- The shape of an ICK is much different than most other decks. The most noticable and effectife difference is the upturned edges on the deck. The upturned edges act firstly as a natural wheel well, asthetically pleasing and very effective. Second, the edges create a concave that really locks your foot into the deck. I've never felt this secure on a Roe or a Turner. You have to try it to really feel what I'm talking about.

For me the concave helps because I have to have the correct stance when I ride the board. If my feet are to square I can tell instantly and adjust accordingly. But when my feet find find home in the concave it's as snug as a bug in a rug.

Flexwise the ICK is great. This is a solid board and is really well built, so the flex is smooth and buttery. As I gain muscle (Joe insert a sarcastic comment here) I will be able to unlock the secret powers my ICK has even more.

And for the musically inclined, my board resonates at a solid C sharp when I'm riding it hard.

I think ICKs are right up there with Roe, Pocket Pistols and Turner. In fact I'll go as far as to say that they're better.

I hope this helps!

Henry J

<a href="http://www.vasocreta.com/henryj/" target=_new>ICK</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Henry Julier on 2002-10-05 10:51 ]</font>

Sarah Howell

Post by Sarah Howell » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:57 am

Hello
I love being a part of the slalom world. To me it is really excitin.:grin: We get to travel and make new friends. ICK has made it possible. My dad makes his boards with TLC you know. Each one is different in its way. They are custom and first of their kind. They are great for kid slalomers cuz they ahve a nice flex and upstands all weight catagoes. ICK is a great board and i have one thig to say......BUY A ICK STICK!!!!!!!!!!
Sarah Howell

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:55 pm

The ICK website (www.icksticks.com) is currently being redesigned. We hope to have the new site up and running by mid April, if not sooner. Get ready for more board pics and team info, as well as a superior layout to make your surfing more pleasurable.

Henry J

"Ickboy"

Mike Ohm

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:13 pm

Just got my '03 Mini Carrerra. Stoked! Thanks Rick!

Miko Biffle
Miko
Miko

Post by Miko Biffle » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:09 am

Hi Henry, Sarah and Mike! Nice to see your glowing posts. Sarah... you rock! Hope to see you and the family at some upcoming races.

I just wanted to make a few comments about the specs on my Carrera and Mini-Carrera.

*** Carrera w/b axle to axle with Tracker RTX's is 23.5" (overall deck length is ~32.13")

This setup has been to every FCR race since Northstar (where it totally rocked). It's been an awesome setup for the biggest courses like La Costa, but I've found that it's a very capable hybrid ride, and I'm able to get it through 6 foot cones when pressed, although I'm learning to love the Mini-Carrera more as I get more time in on it.

My flex pattern was for 180 or 175 pounds I believe, and I'm right at that weight and it feels like it's perfect for the vast majority of courses.

My deck was one of the Catalina Blue batch, and you wouldn't believe the stoke and wonder I felt having it hand delivered by Rick.

*** Mini-Carrera w/b with Tracker RTX/RTS combo is 21.88" (overall deck length is 30.00")

This deck was borrowed from Nature Boy Mollica at the Hood River race, and took me to 2nd place behind Paul Price in the tight race. It took me about 2 runs to feel good on it... and I'm usually quite reluctant to part with my usual setup. This deck rides quite a bit smaller than my Carrera, and I've mostly been a longer w/b kind of rider. I've recently spent more focused time on it, and believe I'm starting to learn how to ride the shorter decks. I sometimes jump on Turners and my old Comet O'Shei, and can't even imagine going back to a flat or curved rail deck. Not a chance...

I agree with Henry on all counts about Rick's attention to detail and extreme level of service. It's been great meeting Carin and the kids as well as the extended family, and feeling their support through the season last year. I'm not going to be able to get to as many races this year, but really look forward to riding my ICK sticks at ALL of the ones I do attend!

My new mantra is Retro Flattie! Retro Flattie! Retro Flattie!

Miko Biffle
Miko
Miko

Post by Miko Biffle » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:21 am

One addition to my previous post...

The w/b on both boards is far from maxed out. I could get at least another 1" to 2" on both... meaning the GS Carrera *could* have more than a 25" w/b! It would also mean ordering your flex pattern to accomodate the longer span between axles, but I think you get my point.

I've been very tempted to get a second Carrera and go about an inch longer (24.5") and about 10-15 pounds stiffer. (But maybe I just want a FLATTIE!)

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:22 am

I recieved my GS Carrera today. The board is awesome. I was totally stoked that Rick took the time to call me and keep me up to date on the progress of the board as it was being built.I think there is room in my collection of slalom quivers for another ICK STICK. Eddy Texas Outlaw Martinez

David Riordon

Post by David Riordon » Thu May 08, 2003 4:41 am

I've got Ohm's Mini Carrerra held hostage. Wonder how I can get one of these or should I just keep Ohm's Ick.
lbk

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu May 08, 2003 6:09 am

Try it out! Put it through the paces. I might be riding BullRun tomorrow evening. You can see how you like it there.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Mon May 12, 2003 8:30 pm

Dave, you wanna get one?

Call Rick Ick in the evenings (pst) @ 909.949.8144.

Tell him Henry sent you.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:07 am

I said last year that there would be room in my collection for another Ick Stick. I spoke to Rick about a week and half ago and my mini Carrera is being built. I know it will perform just as good as my GS Carrera. The quality and the craftmanship that goes into Ricks boards is outstanding. Eddy Texas Outlaw.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:55 pm

...oh yeah, ICK IS ONE OF THE BEST.

I absolutely love mine.

So cool.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:20 am

I recieved my ICK STICK Mini GS Carrera the board is beautiful. It is yellow/light orange towards the upper half. I quickly put my Radikal trucks on it and my Avalons and headed outside arround midnight. Wouldnt you know it the rain started coming down. From what I can tell is that the flex is just right for my 210 lbs frame. I will keep you guys updated on how the board performs as soon as the weather clears up. Rick awesome service. Awesome craftmanship. Eddy Texas Outlaw.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon May 03, 2004 1:52 pm

Rick you would have been proud of the way the Mini Carrera worked this weekend at the Gathering, it blew my mind so stable and so responsive. I am so use to riding the G S Carrera the Mini performance was outstanding. Ick Sticks ROCK!!!!! Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Ditto!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue May 04, 2004 3:07 am

Congrats Rick. It's a super machine. I pretty much pumped Eddy's all the way up the hill after the uphill climb at the G4.

Eddy, thanks for the ride.
Many Happy Pumps!

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Ick

Post by Rick Stanziale » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:21 pm

Red Carrera

Blue Mini Carrera

Ohm's (now mine) '03 Mini Carrera

Cameron Conn

Post by Cameron Conn » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:07 pm

Ive herd that ick foam cores are hevier than roe wood cores. Is this true?
Its like a gift. I can't control it.