describe the ride of TTC compared to a typical modified offs

3TC, XTC, TTC Skateboard Trucks, custom axles, hangers and baseplates

Moderator: Eric Wallgren

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:51 am

How would the "ride" of a 100mm TTC compare to that of an RTX, RTS, or Indy modified offset truck?

Just looking for opinions on the ride between offset trucks and the TTC. Does the TTC ride more like an Indy, RTX or RTS or completely different?

Would the TTC ride any different in an Indy vs. RTX baseplate?

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:52 pm

Glenn,
I have two of the TTC's, but got a Chicken Indy a while back, due to wearing out pivot cups. My Indy was recalled so I put the TTC on the Indy base, and it was a MUCH better fit. I do not notice any major difference in "feel" when going from one to the other.
I haven't ridden a Tracker offset

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dan Mitchell on 2003-07-10 15:53 ]</font>

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:36 am

That was just what I was wondering if it was like an Indy.

I thought I'd heard that the TTC was designed originally for the Indy baseplate, and was released to the public a few months before Tracker even started making the RTX/S series.

The 100mm TTC that I have I got used from Bobo. The axles are either bent or something. Nothing against Bobo, I sure he probably didn't even think to check. I had heard of some TTC hangers that were not drilled in alignment, I hope that is not the case. Also the threads are of very bad quality. I plan to send the one I have in to Geezer to replace the axles to 8mm also and hopefully that will also get them in alignment. But since the axles were so out of alignment I've not even bothered to try it yet.

Hey Howard if your listening. Any insight about changing the axles out and getting them straight?
====================
<b>Update:</b>
I had <a href=http://www.monkeywrenchmachineworks.com> Geezer-X</a> redo the axles to 8mm and they came back perfectly straight. Excellent job by Geezer-X, highly recomended for anyone that has a TTC that needs sprucing up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glenn on 2003-08-25 14:25 ]</font>

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:28 am

Yes - the TTC was originally designed for the Indy baseplate, the RT/X baseplate was nearly identical, and we were able to buy them without hangers (not the case with Indy).

I've seen two trucks that were drilled straight but slightly off-axis. It's possible that there were others, but I haven't heard about them. One went to Adam Trahan and the other to Steve Michael. Both were exchanged some time ago, and we use them on our boards where they work fine.

Joachim Leonhardt
LeonhardtART
LeonhardtART

Post by Joachim Leonhardt » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:01 pm

Is there (a)need to change the baseplate in order to have a 'better' truck ?

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:27 am

Joachim,
I didn't really notice a difference in performance, but there was a better fit, i.e. the kingpin was more centered in and perpendicular to the hole in the hanger.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Joachim Leonhardt
LeonhardtART
LeonhardtART

Post by Joachim Leonhardt » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:17 am

Thank you!
I give it a try.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:53 pm

It was not necessary to mention my name although it does not bother me at all in reference to the TTC hanger axle alighnment in question...

I took this straight to Howard and he quickly agreed and sent a replacement that is straight dead on. In case you were wondering Howard, I told not one person of this mis-alignment. One of my TTC's is slightly out of alighnment and I could not tell if you switched it out with one that was. I have seen several versions of the Indy offset that were way out of line but again, it does not seem to matter to the racer, they rocket.

I totally dig my TTC(s) which I have three. I use them with my milled Seismics that I got from Dan G back in the 90's. The Seismic/TTC is an excellent combination that I was offered as a suggestion from TK. That combo has served me quite well and I see no need to improve on it. I think it is the most reasonable race set up there is and I have owned a couple of Indy offsets that I got from HG and TK. One of those offset's went to John Raivitch who is using it to absolutely kick ass on.

It's important to remember, if you have a problem with a product, go straight to the source and give them a chance to fix the problem. I'm picky and have rejected boards and trucks until I was happy. I'm not a big racer so to speak but am definately in the know of what I want. The people who make these fine products for our little group understands this peculiar behavior and will almost always stand behind what they sell.

It kills me to seep people take there woes online before a manufacture has a chance to address a problem.

Anyway, no harm done, the TTC is a great choice and is a great platform to experiment with. I will use mine until I am too old to race...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adam trahan on 2003-07-14 15:59 ]</font>

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:08 am

I'm sorry, Howard, and Adam. I did not intend to put down the TTC.

When I rode John Gilmour's prototype it was light years ahead of anything else available.

I still have both of the ones I purchased, and they are a very good product.

My opinion is just that, and I am far from a top pro contender. I only responded to the questions asked.

I do think, though, that for 85 bucks, Chickens offset is a very good product.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:16 am

Sorry, all, I thought that Adam's post was directed at me.
After re-reading the entire topic, I do not beleive that was the case.

My apologies.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:27 am

I hope I did not offend Howard and 3DM with my posting about the axles. I really just think that axles can get bent over time especially if you ride over big bumps and stuff, or even from hard pumping use, and that is what I speculate is why the used trucks that I bought are off in alignment.

As far as Offsets go I think that this TTC design has got to be much more durable and safer than an after the fact welded offset mod. I hope that 3DM might consider to keep these in the loop.

I am looking forward to trying it out when I get it reworked. Geezer will be able to tell me when I'm able to get it in the mail to him what is up.

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:32 pm

No offense taken. In spite of some shortcomings, the TTC did its job well, and I wish I had more, because I get multiple requests every week. It's very frustrating that I can't get the machinist who built them for me to allocate some time to some modifications and new production, but I really don't want to start over with another shop (this one is the 4th I've used). Eventually this guy will come through - I just need to make a note to call once a week with a friendly reminder.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:33 pm

Howard,

Here's a silly question: have you talked to Geezer? (Eric Walgren.) Sure, he's on the East Coast, but he does seem to know what he's doing around a milling machine.

I know logistically it might be impractical, but if Monkeywrenchmachine Works could do the job, then at least you'd be dealing with a skater who wouldn't have to have everything explained twice to get the idea.

Again, just a notion.

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:54 pm

Wes - It's a good thought. I'll talk with him.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:15 am

Howard- Geezer does do excellent work
definitely give him a call.

... and so far as bent axles go... just about all axles seem to bend eventually for me- they get consumed....much like bearings and wheels. So far the Ground Effects truck axles have survived, and for the most part my Hollow Axle Seismics (now surviving for almost 8 years without bending enough to be noticeable- truly a record) still are going strong.

So far as the indy offest vs TTC comparison, I think the TTC seems to be a bit more responsive in TS gates- though the Indy Offset I have made by TK's machinist feels like there might be just a tiny amount more traction. I prefer the faster response of the TTC as I ussually have enough traction with the TTC. The Indy and the TTC are the only offset trucks I have had mounted on a true TS deck. I haven't compared it the with Radikal truck yet- nor have I tried the PVD's on TS other than the r1's as a rear truck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-07-16 20:18 ]</font>

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:31 pm

Got my 100mm TTC back from Geezer-X the other day and they now have perfectly straight 8mm axles. Excellent work. Thanks Geezer!

So they were not bad machine work after all :-) They must have gotten bent from useage which is to be expected.