Independent Offset question(s)

Independent Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Barret Deck

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:38 pm

I've owned a couple of sets of Independent 101mm Offset trucks. I tried them on the rear of a Santa Cruz "Graphite Loaded" and a Comet "Gary Cross" and didn't like them, it just didn't feel good to me. I have always prefered a Tracker or a Seismic wedged, this is a personal preference.

This is not to say that they don't work, current Champion Gary Cross uses one, Henry Hester uses them, John Ravitch who purchased my last set and placed in a couple of FCR races with it along with many other podium placing racers use them. They do work and work well indeed!

*phew*

My question is about a "suspended" Independent Offset that I have read about somewhere. Can't remember the details. Something about a hex key as a torsion bar.

I am not sure if there are any others out there who are possibly in the know, but if you are, could you post some information on this version or any version of the Independent or any other make offset truck? Pictures would be cool to illustrate. I would bet that Henry Hester or John Gilmour knows a lot more about this...

Thanks in advance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adam trahan on 2002-10-03 13:44 ]</font>

Gary Hornby
O.C.
O.C.

Post by Gary Hornby » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:13 pm

The only REAL Indy suspension trucks were made in the 70's during the end of the ARA season. Hutson and a select few had them. I think (just a guess here) that only 5-10 sets if that were made. The suspension trucks had springs (maybe?? Please correct me if I'm wrong) inside the hanger attaching each axle. The more recent Indy's are "offsets" only. No real suspension components involved. The axle being moved over the kingpin seems to be a popular thing.