Deck in Four Wheels Down video...

Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:03 am

First off, it's a great video. I like that you don't see your trucks just as a specialty slalom truck. But I have a few questions...

I don't know if it's the camera work, but it looks like you are <i>really</i> hauling ass in the hockey court. But can you describe the board you're riding? It looks like a flat plank with no concave or camber, but it's hard to tell. What are the dimensions and what is the construction of it? Also, what size trucks are you riding and with what springs? I take it that you made that board yourself? While I'm being so nosy, you might as well tell me what kind of wheels & bearings you're riding, I already can tell you were wearing Etnies :wink:

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:31 pm

In "Four Wheels Down," I rode the same freestyle setup I've been using for several years. The deck is a rocker blank from the 1970s (!) that I shaped by hand, about 27.5" long and 7.25" wide. The trucks are original composite Seismics, machined down to 120mm wide, with Extra-Light springs in front and Light springs in back. Both trucks are de-wedged about 5-degrees, using nothing but bearing spacers under the outermost truck holes to keep the board low to the ground. Wheels are Hyper Reevos, a 54mm, 100A wheel made for indoor racing on quad roller-skates. All this makes for a very quick, highly-responsive little setup on near-perfect surfaces like cement. (It sucks on asphalt!)

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:54 pm

Oh yeah, the bearings are Ninja-brand ABEC somethings, and the deck is a simple 7-ply maple laminate from the 1970s. It has a rocker contour (think of an upside-down slalom deck), with no concave whatsoever.

Thanks for your kudos. Yes, I was hauling ass in parts of that video.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:07 am

Dan, 2 things....is there a higher res version somewhere on the web than the 5mb version that was linked to from ncdsa?

Second....What about the one truck/two wheel "balance" board you are riding. Was that something you made for training or was it something you worked into your routine(s)....what are the specs on that?

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:32 am

Thanks for the reply, very informative. You are doing some amazing things on what most would consider a primitive board. You must really have that set-up dialed, it would be a really quick turning board with a deck & wheelbase that small, and the responsiveness of Seismics. I'm surprised you even bothered de-wedgeing them at that point!

So is that a clip a promo for <b>Four Wheels Down</b>, or is that the whole thing?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: W. Kilner on 2003-06-16 01:35 ]</font>

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:19 pm

As far as I know it is the whole thing. I think Dan wanted to keep it compact. Made me want to see more. I guess that's the clever way to make a video.