Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Seismics and angeled risers?

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:23 pm

Ok,

After pestering Dan Gesmer for over six years, I finally gave him some of my meager earnings and bought two of the new aluminum Seismics. It was finding Dan online through AOL that provided me the leads that led me to the Slalom rebirth. Anyone who wishes to address this with Dan personally will probably find him at the World's in October. I do hope Mr. Gesmer reads this in time to arm himself appropriately for whatever feedback this information may cause.

Both of my trucks are the 45-degree model for the front of my boards.Here's my question: does the 45-degree angled pin already achieve the desired turning performance or do I need to slip in an angled riser along with a 1/2-inch lift pad? Anyone experiemented with all possible arrangements and came to a conclusion about what works best?

Christian Simsuangco

Post by Christian Simsuangco » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:03 pm

what's up wes, how are you feeling?

on my crossfire i ride a front seismic with a 5/16 to 9/16 angled riser and avalons and have no wheelbite. the bone springs are wayyyy to soft for the new seismics under my 215 lbs, but the green springs with 1/2 to 1 turn are perfect. i've never liked a seismic in the rear, but the alum seismic in the front feels perfect.

skate hard,

Christian
ride or die motha trucka.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:37 pm

Try out and find your own setup!

rmn

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:44 am

Wesly,

I run 45* Seismics on front exclusively and I put the regular ole angled pad
in there to steepen the steering angle on all my combinations. I'll adjust wheelbase or rear angles before I'll mess with the front
steering. Its a "feel thang" with me I guess...

I've also had really good results running the 30*(detuned to an effective 21*) on the rear of a 22in wheelbased deck (axle-axle) w/ the above 45* setup on fnt. I use it for
cyber drudgery and straighter courses that need to be pumped for top end speed.

Be sure to check that the springs stay seated in the hanger as they seem to like to pop up off the locating ball after they wear... although I run the green springs as loose as they go. I'm going to try the bone springs and maybe a bit of preload will keep this from happening.

Other than that I really like the snap and precision these thing have.

Poorman's Radikal ?? probly not ;-)

Later, Tod

Eric Brammer

Raceable Seismics

Post by Eric Brammer » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:19 pm

At Morro Bay's Super-G, I got 2nd in the "men's Open" class,just a nibblet behind Cliff Coleman (this turns out to be 26th overall,so not all That Fast,but hey, I got a cool shiny medal out of it! ). I rode a Bozi GS 36" running Avalons,then Gumballs(headwind lap),and placed with Avalons again (tailwind lap),used an old Indy Stage 2 up front ,and a seriously negatively wedged(-14*,so it's like 31*) older German Seismic at the rear. The Seismics I bought back almost a decade ago were all true 8mm axles,threaded inside and out (hollow axles,btw), and I've been using them on all kinds of boards since. This was one of those,and it was an Ideal truck for the course at The Worlds. The traction is very good,the steering,even with nearly a decade of use,was quite accurate.The hill required racers to pump at both slow speeds(up top),double/triple pump in the mid-flats,and use a slower,smoother single deep pump down near the bottom.The compromise between stability and pumping was crucial,and I saw riders using stuff that favored one or the other have issues..Either they had good pumps up top,and fought Wobbles at the end,or they coasted thru the upper,and finally 'got on it' late in the course.I had only one wobble(after I was past the 'Speed Trap'),and hit one cone in four runs.The only issue in my riding was air management,as the winds would shift from run-to-run,and I'm still working on my "pump-tuck",which was weaker than I would've liked.The springs on Seismics take awhile to get dialed,but having a truck that can 'boost' a turn with little effort or turning input means that you can gain ground with light pumps.Only those using Radikal or Stimulator bushings on offsets could get that same effect. I'm still not entirely happy with the axles on the new metal Seismics,and I like the dampening of my old plastic type on rougher roads,but I'm thinking that Geezer's Axle-up-graded Seismics migt just be a really good truck to have for those riders that can utilize the spring-system's energy return while pumping.As a front truck,running very light springs,I think Seismic is a no-brainer.The turning accuracy is always there,very much like a PVD,with no major changes in line despite adjustments in tension.That alone is a factor of predictability that's superior to any dual-action rubber-grommet truck. Whether your riding style can adjust to the linear response of the springs,that's another ball of wax altogether... Suffice it to say I'm happy with my old Seismics,just wish I had bought more sets way back when.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Eric Brammer

Seismic at the rear..

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:16 pm

Hey,Wes,you recall that little bit of black plastic I gave you (at The Gathering) for that Pony cone? That's a 5* Wedge, made by NHS/Cell Block. It's thin enough to just slip right in where it's needed to tune your ride. Use it, even though I recall you saying you didn't need wedges and such...

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:32 pm

Eric,

I never said I didn't "need" a wedge, I said I never "used" a wedge :-)

Eric Brammer

Wedges

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:28 am

Oh, my bad..! Up North here, I use wedges alot this times of year,helps get the greener blocks of wood down to burning size. The wood ones that survive, I'll drill them to work under my trucks...