Need tips on gas powered blowers

Discussion Forum
Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:06 pm

I’m contemplating getting a gas powered blower for clearing pavement of pebbles and scree. Does anyone know how much power is required for this purpose? And are there any that are easy to fuel up?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:18 pm

Wes,

A gas powered blower is pretty easy to operate. They are rated by horsepower, but all you really need for street sweeping is a hand-held unit. Don't go with one of those monster backpacks. That's overkill.

Operation is just like a lawn mower: flip a safety switch, grab the trigger and pull the cord. A NEW blower will start usually after two pulls. They are two-cycle engines and require pre-mixed oil and gas, but that is so simple these days that you can't make a mistake. Buy a pre-measured bottle of oil and pour it into one gallon of gasoline. Just make sure you have a container just for your two-cycle equipment (don't put pre-mixed gas in your lawn mower.)

Probably the best buy you can get are the "house" brands at either Lowes or Home Depot. I'm not sure what they call it at Lowes, but HD's is the Echo brand. A good handheld gas blower will run you between $120 to $150 depending on horsepower.

BUT, do what I do: NEVER BUY TOOLS RETAIL BEFORE CHECKING A FEW PAWN SHOPS! Pawn shops are America's treasure trove. You go in, you find a really good machine and it's 1/3 of what HD will charge retail. Why? Because some asshole bought a blower and then realized on Friday he needed a) beer money or b) money for bail to get him out of a DUI charge.

His misery is your gain!

Let us know what you find.

Yours,
Wesley (former Home Depot Garden Department and Hardware Department Part Time Sales Associate. Yeah, I used to sell this stuff. And don't think I didn't catch your little "Home Dumpo" remark in the other forum! :smile: )

P.S. The only brand I would NOT recommend is TORO. They suck for power and we were constantly taking them back for warrantee repair.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:13 pm

Tucker, that suggestion of trying pawn shops is probably what I’ll do. I guess I usually assume the stuff at those establishments as potentially flakey. But I guess they usually test it out before alowing it to be put up for sale. I’ve already looked around at Lowes and the gas-powered blowers seem to start at $70 for the bottom level, then increase in price to $100, then $130, then $180 etc. Is it your experience that the viable ones for clearing pebbles start at the $120 range? <b>My main concern</b> is what the minimum horsepower or windspeed would be for getting good results. It’s hard to find anything useful on the web regarding this because all the info assumes that the purpose for the blower is to clear leaves, rather than pebbles and gravel bits.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:29 pm

Yeah, those $70 blowers are not much more than little hand held fans. Plus, make sure that one costing $70 or less is GAS POWERED. Sounds like that might be one of the electric models. Fine for around the house, but not very good in the middle of no place with no outlet!

About Pawn Shops: you find everything, junk to gems. But remember that what you find in a pawn shop is usually collateral for a loan. What that means is the Pawn Shop isn't going to loan a decent amount of money on a piece of junk. They plug it in or fire it up before they ever consider forking over any dough as a loan. Sure, there's some junk, but it usually sells for $5. If you see, though, an Echo or John Deere Blower costing $45, consider it a deal and grab it. Besides, these machines are like anvils. What is there to break about them?

Although Pawn Shops do have a reputation as rip off parlors, for the most part you will find they are just people trying to make a living. You pay for what you get and you get what you pay for.

Gary Hornby
O.C.
O.C.

Post by Gary Hornby » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:27 am

Only tip I jave is to have the Brown Bomber operate it!!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:58 pm

Thanks, Gary, but I doubt RichyC will travel cross country just for an opportunity to clean pavement.

The kind of advice I’m looking for is what kind of power I would need to clear pebbles off the pavement.

JeffY, G-X, PA Dan, you guys usually clear the pavement at G-P&R. What horsepower and/or windspeed are your blowers?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:10 pm

I can't hold it anymore. I'm sorry.
I’m one of those people who –while reading all this- asks the following questions:

Is this for real?
Is it a joke?

There comes a time in every man’s life when he feels an irresistible desire to blow.
Therefore, buying a quality blower is an important decision in every man’s life.

I’d consult with the manufacturer for the exact horsepower settings. Too little and you don’t blow enough. Too much power- and you blow too much. And no one wants to blow too much. Blowing too much blows.

If, for example, you blow off a road such as I-95, it will probably be considered a crime. Maybe even a terrorist crime (in the light of the recent events/witch-hunt).

And stay away from the pawn shops. They are all crooks. Them and e-bay is part of an elaborate terrorist network that’s out to get your money.

Fight fire with fire and humor with humor.

Back to normal discussion now. I apologize for the intrusion.

Vlad.

On 2003-06-04 12:58, WesE wrote:
Thanks, Gary, but I doubt RichyC will travel cross country just for an opportunity to clean pavement.

The kind of advice I’m looking for is what kind of power I would need to clear pebbles off the pavement.

JeffY, G-X, PA Dan, you guys usually clear the pavement at G-P&R. What horsepower and/or windspeed are your blowers?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:25 pm

Vlad, your reply blows.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:43 pm

Wes, I too didn't answer the original question. But I doubt there is an answer. Or is there?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:57 pm

Vlad, if in the future you ever doubt there is a definitive resolve for any issue, just read my posts.

I am, of course, the definitive answer for any conundrum.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:03 pm

I don't doubt. But I doubt there is an answer for the power setting. Wait...the blower's customer support is on the line... I'll get back to you....I'll ask them this ques

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:09 pm

Some Russian guy just called. Wanted info on where to get the best blow in DC?

What could I say? I told him to try north of DuPont Circle.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:22 pm

I was blown away by their answer. They blew me off. This blows. I'm out of here.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:45 pm

Vlad, something tells me you’ve been waiting a long time for an opportunity to post that. My concern is for real, not a joke. Some blowers really suck. In stores, gas-powered blowers usually have information listing their power in either horsepower or windspeed. But without having ever used one, I have no idea what the minimum should be. I’m not the type of person that gambles, and I try not to buy something without knowing if it’s going to work. A good gas-powered blower is a single purpose item for me and I want to spend as little amount of money as possible for one. There are people that slalom who have experience with gas-powered blowers, so there is no reason why I shouldn’t ask for advice about them when the purpose is to clear pavement.

Eric Wallgren
Geezer-X
Geezer-X

Post by Eric Wallgren » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:20 pm

Wes. I have a Homelite (Vlad, anyone?) I bought at a pawn shop for $50. Harbor freight and Northern Supply have generic Taiwanese blowers new w/ warranty for the same kind of money. The best? Echo. Home Despot sells Echo, but it's not their house brand. Actually it's widely considered the best 2 stroke power equipment available. I have an Echo string trimmer I really like, and when the Toro finally is used up, I'll replace it w/ an Echo. As far as power, look for the displacement of the engine, and rated speed of the air discharge. Bigger #s equal better action. My Homelite (Vlad? anyone?) is 22cc's and works fine for cleaning a race course. Bear in mind that to do a good job at the P&R, I started at about 8:00 am, and was at it pretty steadily 'til about 10:30. Plus broom time...

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:29 pm

I now want a powerful blower too.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:06 pm

Thanks Eric! I’m off to the pawn shops. If I get a good one, maybe that 2.5 hours can be reduced.
Vlad, if you’re diligent, you can probably find a power blower with a setting that reverses the airflow. Just utilize it during your own, private time, OK?

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:20 am

On 2003-06-04 16:29, Vlad Popov wrote:
I now want a powerful blower too.
Victoria doesn't do a good enough job?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:32 am

Wes , you want AT LEAST 125mph wind speed to get the job done. Don't cheep out on your blower. Think of all the money you can make around the neighborhood come fall.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:26 pm

Ever thought about brooms? Save, use it anywhere, environmental friendly.

What are the best brooms? What is your favourite broom?
Do you have a special technique?

What do you like more? Tight Broom, Special Broom, or Giant Broom?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:36 pm

Eggers! This is the US of A! What brooms? You nuts? There is a machine for every lil' duty! Stop complaining, start living!

Tree hugger!

Slappy, I'm getting a $5000 doll. Very consistent and predictable. Smooth power delivery. Comes with a warranty.

Vlad.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:02 pm

You really have to scrub to get clean.

http://www.columbusclean.co.uk/scrub_ra33k.html

Well I would look to Yard work crews for their reccommendations. Perhaps you have a neighbor you could rent a blower from for $3 per time, or $5 all night.

One problem with blowers is that they just tend to rescatter the dust. One puff of wind and the stuff you just blew away can come right back into the course. It happened at Avila beach last year.

Using a broom and tossing the dirt into the bushes where wind speeds are lower and won't blow it back seems to work well.

I usually don't sweep the course- I just practice a few runs slowly kicking larger debris out of the way on the way back up as a warm up and then I start to go faster as traction allows. Your wheels end up pushing stuff to the side- or sonic booms (or is that Sonic Brooms?) from faster runs clear it.

Unless I have a newbie with me- then the newbie is told that it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to have a cleanly swept course (for his safety) and it is his job to do this while I sit and contemplate cone placement and eat my lunch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2003-06-05 13:04 ]</font>