Time For Me To 'fess Up

Discussion Forum
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 09, 2003 3:53 am

Ok, time for me to 'fess up. I have not skated this year and haven't been on a board since November of 2002. There are two reasons, both of them physical:

1. I have developed an acute case of tendinitis (suprastinatus tendonapathy, to be exact,) in my right shoulder.

2. I learned today that what I thought originally back in February was a stress fracture in my foot is actually a case of gout that has now infected both feet. So not only have I not skated, for the past three months walking has been a real adventure.

I mentioned last fall on NCDSA that I was having shoulder problems. Although it may be easy to say, "just play through it," it was almost impossible for me to raise my arm higher than a few inches away from my side. This made being able to ride impossible as I was unable to maintain any sense of balance with just one good arm. I did have an MRI last fall that showed nothing torn or ripped. Unfortunately, in February I fell (nothing to do with skating,) that led to additional complications. A second MRI showed pretty much the same thing. The prescription is about the best I could imagine: a regimen of stretching exercises with no need or possibility of surgery. That's the good news. As I told some friends who skate through an e-mail, I fell on February 8. I had ordered my new PocketPistol on the 6th. I really thought I was getting better and by the time Chicken shipped it the first of March I'd be ready to ride. Hah! Little did I know.

In late January, I was moving a folding table that I briefly sat on my foot to balance so I could put it in a store room. The next day, my toe was sore, swollen and looked like hell. Naturally, I thought I had somehow hit the toe the wrong way and injured it with the table. What started as a nagging little pain eventually grew into a all-out disability: all my toes swelled up, my ankle looks like a volleyball and everything between my heel and my toenails is in agony with the slightest amount of weight put on it. This was all through March. In mid-April, my other foot started to show the same symptoms with no indication of injury or trauma. I knew it was time to go back to the doctor. I have to be honest and say that as late as last week I was telling people that I could not attend The Gathering because of my shoulder and broken toe. I really thought it was that simple.

Today, the doctor diagnosed me as having what's known as "pseudo gout." Gout is the result of uric acid building up in the toes and foot joints and then crystallyzing. This then causes extreme swelling, redness, warmth and pain all across the foot. "Pseudo Gout," which is what my doctor said is my condtion, is the same thing only instead of uric acid, Calcium Pyrophospates are the culprit. I kind of like that better. It sound less embarrasing to say my pain is because of calcium building up instead of piss is settling in my feet and turning to stone. That's just nasty. Right now I'm on a regimen of 2400 mg of Iboprofen daily (600 mg QID) with the possibility of starting the NSAID Indomethacin next week. With a little luck, my exercises will improve my arm over the next month and my drugs will straighten out my feet in the same time. Maybe I'll be riding again by June 1?

What's the moral of this story? Well, my doctor asked me a simple question. He said, "how much water do you drink?" I said some but not much (maybe 8-16 ounces daily.) I drink an incredible amount of fluid, but rarely do I drink water. His advice to me was to make sure I drink at least 6-8 8 oz. cups of water every day. According to him, my lifestyle (meaning lots of sweating and muscle exertion while skating in the South Carolina sun,) coupled with my age (42,) made my predisposition for the accrual of nasty stuff in my feet very probable. The trick, he said, was to drink enough water to make sure the body is able to properly "rinse away" either the uric acid (through urine) or the calcium phosphates through perspiration. (Just for the record, there are all kinds of dietary issues with uric acid Gout. Pseudo Gout, though, pretty much just demands a tremendous increase in the intake of water. So I can still eat red meat and drink beer! Yahoo!)

So I guess the moral of my story is that my feet hurt like hell because I drink way too much sweet tea, orange juice, lemonade, sodas and Kool-Aid and not nearly enough just plain ol' water.

The same goes for all of y'all: if you're past 35 and spending a lot of time in the sun skating and sweating, don't go for the Gatorade as much as you go for the Water.

Y'all be cool. Oh, I won't be in St. Louis and probably won't make it to the Athens Skate Party Saturday. My itinerary is: sleep, take pills, sit in recliner with my feet up, take more pills, try to work at least six hours a day, more pills, back to bed. Maybe a re-run of STAR TREK thrown in to keep me from getting bored. Then I'll start the serious anti-inflammatory drug next week. That should make for an interesting week or two.

Oh, one last thing. Why am I telling all this? Two reasons: I'm a slalom racer. I go to slalom races. I race against other slalom racers. There's a good chance I'm going to miss a lot of slalom races this year. Instead, though, of just talking about slalom racing and pretending to participate, I really do want to be there and my record shows I go where the races are when I'm able. I don't make excuses, I don't pretend I can do something I can't and I don't ever want to be lumped in as some worthless "keyboard racer." When I'm able I'll be back. Maybe soon, maybe not so soon. Whenever it is, though, just consider me on "injured reserve": maybe I can't get in the game for a while, but I still want to come to the team meeting and hear what's going on?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri May 09, 2003 4:05 am

Damn Wes. I hope you heal up asap and we get to race again this year. If there is anything I can do just ask. TK

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri May 09, 2003 4:07 am

Wesley, sorry tohear about your misfortunes. I hope everything heels up quick and you're feeling better soon.

As far as your shoulder pain can you relate it to being from swinging your arms while slaloming. I say this because when I went to Boston in 2001 my right shoulder was sore from all the cone runin.

I didn't figure what it was from intil the next time I went out on back to back days. It no longer bothers me, well maybe the odd time,lol

Good Luck Bud.
Many Happy Pumps!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 09, 2003 4:33 am

Claude,

I didn't relay this part in the story, but I have told others. My arm pain originated in the Great Parallel Stance World Championships between me and Brewington Sunday mornning at Morro Bay. Really.

Remember Julius Pleshakov was egging us on in the days leading up to Morro Bay about me and Bruce having a showdown? Well, neither of us qualified. But we were both racing Sunday morning on the Slalom course during warmups with everyone else. (You remember, I'm the guy who told YOU to get your ass to the top of the hill 'cause you made the cut when Hester decided he didn't like the run out? :smile: )

So, anyway, Bruce and I both were in line and just by chance both got on the ramp at the same time. WHAM! Everyone noticed, especially JP, and started yelling it was time for the big showdown. Ed E closed the gates, set the timer and we went down the hill.

It was a fun race. I beat Bruce. In my zeal though to be an asshole, I did a really stupid thing and when I got to the finish line, I LUNGED for the finish like I was Man-O'-War by a nose. It was cool. Until I kept right on going and went right over the end of my board!!

I have to say I made a PERFECT crash landing. I went to my hand, my elbow, my SHOULDER, then rolled over on my back and popped up. I felt a slight twinge in the shoulder, noticed my shirt was ripped all to hell and just laughed it off. Me and Bruce were having fun. (I having more fun because I won and he was a big fat California Parallel riding LOSER!)

All in all I felt pretty good. Carin Howell felt sorry for me walking around in a rag, so that's how I got my free Ick T-shirt. The rest of the day I just kind of favored the arm and went on.

Suffice it to say, it actually went down hill from there. I couldn't raise my arm past 9:00 on the clock face the rest of the weekend. Getting my baggage through the airport for the trip home was agony as I was too broke to afford tipping a porter. The next week my shoulder got progressively worse and by West Virginia the following Sunday I was just plain hurting. I guess it was two or three weeks later I got the MRI. I didn't even mention in the original post how the shoulder was also complicated with a pinched nerve coupled with the muscular and tendon problems. I steadily improved through the winter, but then as I said, I fell in Feburary which set me back. (I stumbled on my porch. Instictively I reached out with this arm to get my balance and I went one way and the arm went the other. Try hyper-extending a shoulder sometimes that has a pinched nerve with developing tendinitis. The screams are still echoing around my neighborhood!)

So, anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. The gout is pretty much non-skate related. My shoulder, though, is a souvenir I brought home from my great California skate adventure.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri May 09, 2003 5:18 am

Its all those deeeelicious shrimp causing the gout.

no seriously- I know how humid it gets down there and how much a person can sweat.

Sounds like you need to find a Fiji dealer near you.

one other thing for you to consider- I hate to mention it- but you might get it looked into.
Type 2 diabetes you mention a lot of sugary drinks and with the amount of sweat you lose down there you might be taking in a tremendous amount of sugar. Type 2 Diabetes would result in swollen feet and ankles as well. it would also leave you with less than normal energy levels. So check you insulin levels and watch out for the carbs.

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Fri May 09, 2003 5:22 am

Ok Wes, I forgive you for not coming out to the gathering......but I was and am ready to take you down in some duels. Thats right, I am ready for you Wes. I missed you at the g3. you were my first slalom buddy and naturally my first opponent, and I lost....a bunch of times and now its on. Maybe at da farm.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri May 09, 2003 8:42 am

Tucker, dude, stay off the sugar-drinks completely. I want you to set a goal of racing at DaFarm (Aug 2nd) this year. When I’m out slaloming, I always have my 70oz/2liter camelbak either on my back or with my tools. I occasionally drink all of it in one session, so I’ll probably start using something larger. These things are great. Camelbak brand never leaks and is easy to carry around with all of your skate gear.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 09, 2003 10:24 am

Just for the record, there's no diabetes here. Trust me. It's a family trait that has led to annual checks since I was 25 years old. (My mother is insulin dependent and has been in congestive heart failure since 1996. I do know about diabetes.)

Have y'all also maybe noticed that I on occasionally post to this site at ungodly hours like 4:30 in the morning? That's also attributable to the arm and foot. Hey, when you're sore and the body says get up and take something, you get up and take something.

One last thing. Civ, I could have these feet and my arm lopped off with a rusty carving knife and you still couldn't take me down! I'm beginning to believe you Canacks inhale some really serious smoke to keep warm in the wintertime.

By the way, where does a drummer live?
At his Girlfriend's house . . . at least until his next gig comes through!

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Fri May 09, 2003 2:24 pm

raises an interesting question

say Gilmour or Vlad was injured and unable to continue skateboarding, would they no longer feel welcome contributing to the online slalom community?

here's to your health, Wesley, and to seeing you on a hill again soon (even if you are a lowly Gamecock)

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri May 09, 2003 4:27 pm

I live in Arizona. Here, it can be 110 degrees and you won't sweat, really. You see, the humidity is low, sometimes below 10%, your sweat evaporates before it has time to soak into your clothing.

The sun is intense in Arizona, only in the Winter do we get a break from it.

Drinking water in large volumes is necessary but I am like you, in the same boat so to speak. 42 and drinking tea and everything else except what I should be drinking, water.

I will think about your story and learn from it.

Thanks, the truth shall set you free...

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Fri May 09, 2003 7:27 pm

Wes, looks like you want to make this an interesting rivalry.......now I have some serious motivation to train. Cant wait till we can ride together again. Get well soon wes.

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Fri May 09, 2003 7:46 pm

Wes,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you improve so that you can slalom by sometime this summer. Remember, I'm "gunning for you" at da'Farm in August.

Also, my recollections of Morro Bay appear to be slightly different than yours. I believe that I beat your ass both times down the Main Street course. If I can recall, after I had crossed the finish line, I looked over and saw you flying over the top your board.

I guess we will have to re-schedule our parallel dulie...so I can kick your redneck, southern butt one more time..

Cheers..

Wall Street Racing

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 09, 2003 7:59 pm

Bruce,

Wasn't there a news story recently about some analysts who got fined billions of dollars for inflating their results? Hmmmm? :smile:

By the way, I like the way you've edited your story. It's gone from "I saw you fall" to "I looked over my shoulder and saw you laying on the ground."

Seriously, though, I'm hoping I'm squared away by June 1. That gives me two full months of skating to get back into some kind of riding shape. I hope it'll be enough.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Post by Rene Carrasco » Fri May 09, 2003 9:24 pm

Wesley -

Read your story- I'll be prayin for ya bro.

That's a real important meesage you gave about drinking MORE WATER.

At the SSS practices, Richy and I like to bring extra bottles of water for some of the bro.s that maybe didn't bring any, for after practice to replenish themselves.

I've enjoyed reading your emails over the last year, here, and over @ NCDSA.

God bless, bro. -
.........-Rene' "Cannonball" Carrasco.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 09, 2003 11:02 pm

Rene',

Thanks for the thoughts. I just got some rather sage advice from a friend that I am going to try and adhere to from now on:

Get a jug that holds an appropriate day's supply of water. Put it in the 'fridge every night. Make it a point to not go to bed til the jug is empty. Refill, repeat next day.

Maybe occasionally take the time to wash it out, but, hey, that's a personal preference I'll leave to y'all! :razz:

Another idea is to have a stack of cups next to the sink. Make sure to use each one every day. Either of these habits will ensure you will get your daily supply of water to avoid any related disorders.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat May 10, 2003 12:01 am

24-hour update:

First of all, thanks to everyone for their input. It's nice to know that what I wrote was read and appreciated by others who might someday face the same sort of ailment.

Secondly, here's a quick update: after 24-hours and 4200 mg of Ibuprofen later, things are greatly improved. I'm not healthy, but I'm no where near as crippled as I was yesterday when I got home from the doctor. Yesterday my right foot really felt like every toe had been hit with a hammer and I had sprained my ankle. The other foot felt like two toes were hammered and the arch of my foot had a blowtorch on it.

Today, everything just feels kind of tight and stiff.There's a little pain in walking, but I am walking an almost full stride. I can't really see any noticeable reduction in swelling, but it would appear as though some normal color is returning to my toes and ankles (they had turned a dark red earlier this weekend.)

All in all, thing are improving but not quite normal. Ain't it amazing when your doctor actually gets it right and doesn't order $10,000 in tests and lab work to diagnose the problem? I guess all that med school is worth it after all.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed May 21, 2003 12:49 am

Hey, y'all,

I saw both doctors today, one for the shoulder and one for the feet. Both have released me from any further appointments. My Orthopodist said to continue the stretching exercises and the Internist told me to continue the anti-inflammatories til the Rx runs out. After two weeks of strong medicine, both conditions have responded incredibly well with no nasty side effects.

Both also more of less said the same thing: if the pain recurs or persists in the next 60 days, come back and see them in two months. I think that's pretty much a standard disclaimer for all doctors.

So, it looks like I have 11 days to meet my June 1 deadline to skate again. If the progress continues, there's no reason I can't be running cones in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone for all their kind words. Oh, anyone want to hear the details of this infected hang nail on my right hand? Geez, this bloated nasty sucker hurts worse than the shoulder or the feet ever did!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed May 21, 2003 12:53 am

As long as your felling better.

Glad to hear the news.
Many Happy Pumps!

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed May 21, 2003 5:59 pm

...same here.

No, don't want to hear about the nail, seen way too many of those as a medic in the Army, nuff said.

I hope to meet you one day Wes.

adam

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sat May 24, 2003 8:44 am

You know i should have read this thread earlier and maybe saved you some grief Wes but here goes anyway. The best thing for gout is Celery either in tablet or natural form...it clears up hella fast without anti inflammatories.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:29 am

Since this has sort of evolved into the "Shoulder Injury Forum," I thought I'd take advantage of it to inquire as to Mr. Fluitt's health. Give us the low down, Gary: is it back to square one or just a temporary setback? Have you seen a doc, is a new MRI in the works? Jack Smith let the cat out of the bag and made mention that you were in some really serious pain over the weekend.

Oh, one other thing inquiring minds want to know: do you think the previous injury had anything to do with what happened Friday? (Or was it Saturday?) I did start skating again a week ago, (right on schedule,) but am finding it difficult. The arm is better and mobility is improved, but I find that without full range of motion, that automatic arm adjustment for balance makes me skate with a lot of trepidation. I just wonder if the same sort of limitation affected you in any way on the course?

Whatever the prognosis, bud, get well soon and let us know how you're feeling. From all reports it was a Job Well Done this weekend and we certainly want you back on the street as soon as you can.

Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes
Dan Hughes

Post by Dan Hughes » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:23 pm

Wes,
I was there. When you and Bruce had your grude match. When you dove for the finish. I couldn't believe it. Having seperated my shoulder before, I was worried for you. Sorry to hear that it's still bothering you. I'm wearing shoulder protection now when I'm racing.
I took a fall at Breckenridge (on friday), and the shoulder protection worked quite well. I'm using stuff intended for La Cross. Works pretty well. Mike Dong is using some motor cross stuff.
Hang in there, protect that shoulder and drink lots of water!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:24 am

Wesley, will you make it to July 4th? How's it looking? BTW I want to do some sort of injury prevention clinic at the next slalom race...and I could certainly use your input on how your fall manifested itself.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:51 am

John,

No. It's really disgusting for me to say so, but there's just no way I can make it up the coast this year. Between no skating for such a long break coupled with no-cash syndrome, I just can't even begin to comprehend any sort of circumstance that would allow me to make it to Boston.

For the record, last year in order of importance my most enjoyable skateboarding experience was the entire week I spent going up the coast for the Boston race. The night in Washington at the Parsons, staying at Tways and riding the day before the 4th, the night in the Boston Commons, whole day and night on Storrow Drive and Chinatown and the easy drive home made for a spectacular vacation trip for me. If someone asked me to list last year's events, I'd have to say Boston was no. 1, Folly Beach was no. 2 and 'da Farm would be third (only because Folly was a home town race and the whole bus terminal thing does FB edge out DF.) My trip to California is in a class by itself. The outlaw events in DC and the Gathering were also fun, but fore me those were more like "outings" than major skate trips. I can run up to DC with my eyes closed. Georgia and West Virginia get a "no vote because of rain."

As far as my fall in concerned, if you do want to hold a clinic and want my input, just pass this along:

YOU CAN PRACTICE AND PRACTICE TIL YOUR LEGS FALL OFF, BUT SOMETIMES A FALL, NO MATTER HOW PERFECT, WILL STILL LAY YOU OUT.

As I have said repeatedly, even earlier on this forum, what pisses me off more than anything about my fall, even including the time lost recuperating, is I fell PERFECTLY. Just like in all the karate books. My impact absorbtion roll was executed flawlessly. But, what the hell? I still hit my shoulder too hard and got screwed up for months. Whadda 'ya gonna do?

Maybe Howard Gordon is taking the right path with the padded shoulder jacket? Or Mike Dong, Timbobwei and Dan H. are onto something with full body armor? Somehow, though, I feel that given a particular circumstance on any given race day, you're gonna fall and slam something hard. It is painfully becoming clear to me that the law of averages demands that if you skate a lot, you're going to fall and eventually you're going to fall hard.

That's advice that might make the novice decide to "forget this stuff" and move on to ping pong or video games. Then again, let's not deceive ourselves: speed and asphalt balanced on little plastic wheels and skinny skateboards is a dangerous combination. The best thing you can do to prevent a real problem is practice, practice and practice.

Hey, maybe the shoulder is sore, but I'm not lying in a coma stuffed with tubes. The alternative to any situation always makes me feel encouragement.

P.S. Dan, glad you were a witness. I was beginning to think I had dreamed it all and really just slipped on a banana peel or something :smile:

Patio Mendino

Post by Patio Mendino » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:28 pm

awwww, come on. the Georgia race was run in an alternate venue, just like Folly Beach was!
it was not rained out.
you showed up. "tag, I'm here" and took off to go see the college football game.
The race ROCKED!!!
p
:smile:

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:38 pm

I hear you Wesley....you gotta heal.

I've had lots of slalom falls over the years. And I found that most of them were caused by the same things happening over and over.

Once I addressed those things falls sometimes still occured though much less often...but injury rates went to near zero. I know there is always that chance for a fluke fall…..or simply in you case….too much impact for the current condition of your shoulder joint.

I used to get hippers in slalom - until I modified my stance.

I used to fall hopelessly twisted, until I modified my arm movement.

I used to slide out in fast gates unexpectedly, until I learned how to "dial back" my weight at speed.

I blew out my shoulder in a fall.... when I was 18 years old. Tore my rotator cuff on my right arm.

I fell because I hit a wet slippery manhole cover in a course. I should have been fine.

I got injured because....
I was tired, thirsty, and heat exhausted. I felt myself falling, and I just didn't care....and causually let my arm slip behind my back...and ...pop...goes the shoulder.

I didn't wear the sling I was supposed to. My shoulder ended up loose. It dislocated at least 150 times over the next 10 years. I finally had the surgery and got it fixed...was religious about the rehab...and now it is better than my other shoulder.

Best thing I did for my shoulder was to buy the Total Gym for $50 used off of some lady who left it under her bed for years collecting dust.

My physcial therapist had a total gym in his office right next to all this super expensive gear. I would work out on a Cybex machine with a computer readout showing max torque and work done…etc. That thing kicked my ass. But the total gym was similar to that 15,000 dollar cybex machine because I couldn't cheat the machine.

Why is the Total Gym so good? Well mass doesn't change ----------regardless of gravity.

F=MA
Force = mass x acceleration.

Since you work out on an incline you might be only lifting a few pounds which you could easily accelerate if they were small free weights…..but you are moving a lot more MASS (even though it feels like a small weight). So it takes the same amount of force to accellerate all that MASS- regardless of what type of gravity is acting on it.. IE you can't jerk the handle and gather momentum and cheat like you can with free weights. Better to continue to add mass to the incline and keep the incline angle low or once you get near 45 degrees you can begin to cheat.

I suppose you could take a set of skateboard trucks and wheels. Replace the bushings with washers to remove turn… and bolt them onto a board (or even just use any 36-44 inch 10 inch wide longboard). Then you could take a pair of two by fours or a 2 pieces of aluminum L channel and bolt them to a piece of 1 inch plywood (or use a solid wood door) and make your own total gym. It is nothing more than a skateboard within a track with a pulley attached to it. You can run a cord through the space between the pivot and the bushings. If you have waterski rope around and a tow handle that would be good.

There are a series of exercises you can do to strengthen the minor muscle groups around your shoulder . Only after strengthening those should you go after the major muscle groups which will "pack" the minor groups I tightly around your shoulder to add stability. They are called PNF exercises.

I can now throw a baseball and serve in Tennis- something I couldn't do well even before I injured my shoulder. These exercises definitely help with that type of motion.

BTW you shouldn't just be worrying about your bad shoulder….you should also aggressively attack the good one as well. Besides you'll feel better anyhow…and being laid up…this might be the only exercise you'll get for a bit.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:39 pm

I’m contemplating getting a gun to shoot myself for not going to GrUUningen. Does anyone know what is the minimum gun power I need to blow my head off like a rotten watermelon? My friends tell me get a Desert Eagle or a 45 Magnum. But I think it’ll be overkill.

I tried Pawn Shops and their prices are comparable with the prices of guns on the gray market. Because I intend to use a gun only once, maybe I can try e-bay?

Help.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:38 pm

Komrade Vladski,

Only one way to go: 6-inch, double action .357 Magnum revolver.

6 inches are good because it keeps the exploding cartridge a fair distance from your head (who wants all that noise destroying your eardrum?) but close enough to allow a good aim (nothing more embarassing than a trip to emergency room because you MISSED trying to blow your head off.)

A double action works best for loading. I know, you're only going to load it once, but let's keep this simple. A revolver is also good because it pretty much eliminates any chance of a jam or misfire. Just pull the trigger and VOILA!

The .357 Magnum has about the best stopping power for the dollar on the market today. Sure, the .44 can shoot through schools, but who needs a cannon when a bazooka will do? 10mm Glocks will also do the job, but refer back to my point about revolvers, automatics and the chance for a jam.

One last thing: remember to always go with HOLLOW POINT cartridges. It'll make a mess of things, but why do you care? It's not like you're the one who's going to have to clean it up! Oh, and remember: to the temple. Mashed potatos and fine wine are for swallowing. Don't get blood AND saliva on a fine piece of high-caliber hardware.

Hope this helps. By the way, can I have your PVDs?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:42 pm

JG, 150X in 10 years!!! That means you dislocated once a month for 10 years and sometimes twice a month. Are you insane??? You would think you would fix the thing after like the 3rd year. Wes, don't take any advice from JG when it comes to shoulders. HE is obviously into pain. I've read about guys like him. T

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

GOUT- this sucks

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:40 am

Well- I dreaded the surgery and the time off. Eventuallly I had no choice. It would dislocated sometimes when I sneezed or sat up quickly- or even reached for an outlet behind the sofa.

Wesley- your gout regimen? If you could believe it......from all this sitting still- and not drinking enough water....perhaps....I now have gout in my right foot. Some lump at the joint of the ball of my foot (and some other mini lump in the metatarsal area.)- could perhaps be a ganglieon cyst. Since I go to the hospital 3 times a week- maybe I'll toss it in as a package deal for the next surgery. No one footed slalom for me.

geez...........................
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:24 pm

John,

My gout regimen was to sit and wait for the swelling to go down! Unfortunately, we're not talking here about some sort of muscle or soft tissue strain. This is a CONDITION (or "disease" if you prefer,) and it's kind of impossible to "work through the pain."

If you walk, stretch, exercise and otherwise involve your toes and feet, what you'll end up with are very, very sore, hot, red swollen feet. Like I said, this is a condition that has to work itself out. You can't "sweat out" the flu and I don't think you can "walk away" the gout.

What I do know is that as soon as the doctor prescribed that inundation of Ibuprofen (2400mg a day,) my pain and suffering went away in about three days! Now with the Colchecine daily, it's really no longer a problem. I do have the Carson's Neuroma (what I call the "BB in the balls of my feet,) but it's only noticeable when I'm barefoot.

You know, John, this is too much of a coincidence. I had cartilage and tendon damage to the shoulder and three months later I was crippled with Gout. You have tendon and cartilage damage (plus broken bones,) and two months later you are afflicted with Gout. There must be some sort of connection. It makes me think that Gout may be some physiological side affect in the way the body reacts to these injuries.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:05 am

oh.....so that is what happens when you bottle up depression?...
john gilmour

RL

gout

Post by RL » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:50 am

Wes-
One more thing to consider cutting down on or cutting out completely is Red Meat.. Digesting red meat can create high levels of uric acid. A deadly combo is red meat and alcohol. I know of others who suffer from this afliction. They have had success by cutting out red meat and lowering the beer intake.
I understand its very painful. These guys dont skate, hell they hardly walk..
Get better. I hope to meet you if I can make it to da farm this year.
Ric

Danny Crawford

Post by Danny Crawford » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:50 am

Sorry to hear about your condition. Makes me feel good about getting a lot of slalom in at a young age before I get hardcore problems.

One thing to make sure you don't do is skating again when the pain is not that bad anymore and you're almost over it. You feel like you're ready to start your skating again and then when you're done you feel terrible again. Happened to me with smaller things and it kept me from skating for even longer. If you're interested about taking advice from a kid, don't skate until you're completely over it and then some.

Hope you feel better.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:16 pm

hmmm..
Maybe there's something to that Pseudo PsYcHOphilOsoPhY!My injury list goes on for a mile as well At the Gathering II I was in such pain in my feet Red,swollen to the point of deformation KBG and Yvonne gave me some first aid stuff that helped..but I was comming off a back injury that had me down for months,I've got 2 artificial joints and 3 pins in each of my feet(that's where I placed the blame) but had my feet x-rayed and all seem to be fine. My right shoulder is like JG's (Ipop it out just reaching for something) or looking at something wrong!! Last August was my most painfull injury(dislocating my elbow and it spasming to go back into place 180 degrees out) I hate it when I cry!!! My feet gave me a bit of pain while on the mend for that one! I seldom wear shoes so bad shoe fit aint it!!! It kinda makes you go..Hmmmm...?
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:19 pm

I seldom wear shoes
Trying to restrain myself from any WVa jokes... ;)

I lived in WVa (Eastern Panhandle) from 6th-12th grade, and attended WVU for 5 years. While there, I covered most of the state. Everything from Wheeling and Wierton, to Harper's Ferry, Huntington, Parkersburg, Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Weston, Buckhannon, Elkins, Charleston, St Albans, etc etc. Beautiful state, wonderful people. Unfortunately, the easy target of Appallacian stereotyping.

What were we taking about? Recovering from injuries? Oh yes.

Heal well and quickly guys!

Q

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:29 pm

Jack,
Most everyone that knows me ,knows I detest shoes!!! Hell I can even footbrake bar-footed! 'ceptin' them reel fast types..Heck I even go bar-foot in the winter time and leave neat melted foot prints in the snow when I'm fetchin' the mornin' paper!! Problem is I gots to have my young'ns read it to me whenst I get into the house!!;-)
ENJOY!! (while you can)

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:16 pm

Well, it turns out it may be something else entirely....

I was wearing telemark boots at the time of hte accident. They hinge right at the ball of the foot. It is possible that I broke my foot (Hyper fl;exed the boot on impact) and did not realize it with the extent of all the other injuries....for instance they did not find my knee cap crushed until a few weeks ago.

At least it is not on my pushing foot- which unfortunately has the acl tear.
john gilmour

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

THE TRUTH HURTS, JUST DON'T TELL MY WIFE

Post by Steve Collins » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:39 pm

Trying to keep her off the net until this story fades:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/ ... 57726.html

Thankfully red wine still gets the go-ahead.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Oh boy new injuries to add to the list!

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:28 am

New MRI's today and more surgeon meetings. Guess what? They found more busted stuff.

Seems I also have a PCL tear of the right knee and a new bonus.

In addition to my rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder I have a complete detachment of my labrum......at least there were no "labia" detached...that would be tragic. The impact from the tree pulverized part of my rotator cuff and sheered my labrum.

Still they think the shoulder it can be repaired by scope- so no matching scars- instead three bullet sized holes (JFK's magic bullet).

I can barely stand up using a walker.

So under the new schedule. I walk May 1 in water only, I walk May 21st- - hobble more like it. In June they do my shoulder and in August they do my Left Knee- perhaps later returning to the right knee for PCL repair. If I'm lucky I'll be "recovered" by March or April of next year.

So I miss a whole year of snowboarding and slalom racing. But I will race Paris next May.

Super duper bonus - the screws from my first surgery went through the bone and have to be removed since the sharp tips are sticking out of the bone- they say this is normal but they have to stay in for 1-2 years- what fun...I always wanted to have screw points sticking out of my bones...and of course it had to be this way since "bones are hollow".
john gilmour