Do forums like this do anything to further the sport of Slal

Discussion Forum
Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:16 am

Do forums like http://www.slalomskateboarder.com and also http://www.ncdsa.com do anything to further the sport of slalom skateboarding?

Also do you think that forum participation by makers/owners of decks, wheels, trucks, etc do anything for the sport or themselves?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glenn on 2003-03-04 21:18 ]</font>

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:21 am

Sure they do!

Without this site, my slalom clinic/race would have never gotten off the ground!

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:29 am

I for one would have probably never gotten into slalom if it were not for these forums.

And I tend to choose products from makers like Howard Gordon, Peter Verdone, Chris Chaput,Gareth Roe, etc that participate in the forum as well. Do others out there feel that maker/owner participation is a good thing or like when owner/makers of slalom gear do participate on the forums?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glenn on 2003-03-05 00:58 ]</font>

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:32 am

The single largest factor in the rebirth of slalom is the internet. Without it I would have never met JG, gone to a race, made friends from England, California, Canada, Germany, Russia, Latvia, New Jersey, Swiss, Trinidad, France, and even NY and DC! TK

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:51 am

2 things.

#1. Check the memberlist. It reads like a "who's who" in the world of slalom skateboarding.

#2. Check the number of your posts and the content in your posts to find the answer of your question.

I hope that you find this free service a positive aspect in your slalom skateboarding experience.
On 2003-03-04 21:16, Glenn S wrote:
Do forums like http://www.slalomskateboarder.com and also http://www.ncdsa.com do anything to further the sport of slalom skateboarding?

Also do you think that forum participation by makers/owners of decks, wheels, trucks, etc do anything for the sport or themselves?

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:47 am

I could care less if a manufacturer spends time on a skateboard forum, I would hope they are busy makeing skateboards, doing R&D, tending to business not yapping on a forum.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:40 am

Arab,

I don't know you personally, as well as many of the people that post on this forum, but I think without Slalom Skateboarder or NCDSA i would have never found slalom, or probibly longboarding too. I do know that on this forum or on NCDSA if I have any question about anything slalom, there is somebody here that either invented it, was there, or was involved in it, that can answer a question. I think without these forums alot of people would have never found slalom, or never gotten back into slalom.

Brian

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:14 am

It sure helps, no question about this. Without ncdsa I would not have found my old friend Attila again and I would not have gotten back to slalom as fast as I did. BUT: we dare not to forget, the best thing to help it to grow is to go out and skate every free minute we have and show it to people everywhere. Go skate!

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

Post by George Gould » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:29 pm

you bet these forums have something to add. that is how the word is spread. i am sure some folks show up once look and leave. but, if they are skaters they will read alittle more and stick around. for all the bickering and whining remember, we are skaters, it is what we do for some odd reason. i have been observing the behavior sonce L/C 01. many of us, are more alike than not.

you bet the vendors read this stuff. sometimes they even listen. even bad publicity is publicity. do you think Eminem cares what he does as he laughs all the way to the bank!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:49 pm

Ebay was the greenhouse- the used slalom gear clearinghouse with "public price records" that helped prove to manufacturers that there is a market for slalom gear. Man, this sport is still sooo young in its rebirth- and things still look very promising.

Of course this forum is valuable and to pprove it---here goes a new topic. see portable race gear thread.

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:15 pm

There's no question that these forums were responsible for most of the slalom rebirth. Keep in mind, with misuse and bickering, they could also be the death of slalom. Keep it clean boys na girls, leave your ego in the living room (except Arab, of course) and keep learning.