Possible race support vehicle donation to support East Coast

Discussion Forum
John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:56 pm

I have the possibility to donate a vehicle for use for East Coast slalom events....but I need to donate it to a Non Profit.

It can carry all the cargo for an event and also be part of the supporting structure for a starting ramp.

Any takers?

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:05 pm

is it a truck? a Winnie?

Brian

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:26 am

Brian, the vehicle is a 500 series mofo Mercedes. I am only speculating here but I my guess is Silverado Gilmour is tired of the no traction money pit and wants to pawn it off Donation style for the tax deduction. Monster Garage is also considering taking it and making a $60,000 snow blower out of it.TK

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:31 am

Unfortunately, there are currently no non-profits in slalom skateboarding from which you'd get the tax deduction you're seeking, John. The USSSF would like to be such an organization asap, but these things, like the necessary 501(c)(3) tax status, cost money that nobody's willing to come up with yet.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:14 pm

Well if the USSSF can't take it...anyone else have a non profit they can spit it through and "rent" the van for $1 for a race?

Seems a pity to let this go.

Perhaps I'll have to donate it to Matthew Wilson or some other hapless- carless slalom fiend. Any takers?

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:35 pm

i don't know legal it is, but i might be able to get it for the ambulance corps for the tax write off, and than use it for whatever. Is that legal?

Brian

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:40 am

Well, I am hapless? is that word you used, John? or was it helpless?

Either way, I'm jobless in 20 days!! And I need some more Cambrias and a set of Avalons. Well, say goodbye to that first unemployment check!! hehe.

Oh..by the way. I am hitting the MIT corridors tomorrow evening with my brother, so any other takers in the Boston area...contact me. JG?? Jim S.??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: matthew wilson on 2003-03-05 21:43 ]</font>

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:34 pm

joke? what joke?

Mike Gorman

Post by Mike Gorman » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:48 pm

Well I know a West Coast non profit involved in slalom. The Venice Skateboard Association run by Jesse Martinez is nuturing slalom racing among the Venice beach kids. Maybe they could use your Benz JG.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:33 am

well the Benz roof won't support two big racers- so we'll have to use a VAN.

It runs well enough to go up and down the coast a few times.

I just thought it would be a good idea to have a vehicle ready that had everything needed inside it for a race.

I also thought it would be cool to paint the van- or perhaps use the decal process to put the name of this site on it. Parking the van in a high visibility area also serves as advertising- for instance..... a list of practice times and locales could be on the van- with those times being accessible from this site.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:46 am

You know, John, I've been thinking about this van donation of yours and I think I've got a solution: you could probably give it to any one of the deck manufacturers.

After all, right now they are all non-profit (ahem.)

P.S. Some guy name Paul Dunn is looking for you. Something about laying prostrate at your feet and begging forgiveness? You might want to check your messages and e-mail.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

Post by Rene Carrasco » Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:33 am

I'm reading these posts - and I see Mike Gorman's, hmmmmmmmmm, I agree with him.

Jesse Martinez works with those Venice kids, and I see them at WLAC races, and Jesse is doin a great thing!

I think it would be a really good cause, to donate that vehicle to Jesse and his organization!

Just my observation........Rene' Carrasco.
RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:10 am

Oh well- this East Coast Van will likely become a west coast van at least it will get good use. Jesse might have to pay for Claudes return flight as he likely will be the raod warrior who would drive it.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:13 pm

going going gone. The vehicle got donated to a Cancer charity.