Why dis another skater?

Discussion Forum
Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:30 pm

I`ve seen it happen here and on ncdsa but never read why people think it`s OK to dis another so maybe if it was openly explored, it could be reasoned or dismissed.

I don`t think I have instigated a dis on another but will admit to feeding the fire when I felt dissed first.

I am now trying not to allow myself to be drawn into that art form.

So feel free to add to this discussion. Maybe it might get ugly and maybe it might get contructive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brady Mitchell on 2003-02-16 18:53 ]</font>

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:40 pm

Brady, I couldnt agree with you more, I`ve seen it happen here and on ncdsa but never read why people think it`s OK to dis another so maybe if it was openly explored, it could be reasoned or dismissed.

I don`t think I have instigated a dis on another but will admit to feeding the fire when I felt dissed first.

I am now trying not allow myself to be degraded by allowing another to draw into that lower art form.

So feel free to add to this discussion. Maybe it might get ugly and maybe it might get contructive.

When you created the "Ollie" why didnt you call it the "SCABS"?

Arab

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:49 am

Eric,
The discussion was to be WHY dis another skater. If you don`t mind, how about taking a few minutes and carefully explain WHY do it. We already know you can, but WHY?

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:22 am

Oh I'm sorry, I was asking the same question of you.

Also about the "Ollie" thing you invented, why did you not take credit for it and name it after yourself.

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:22 pm

First off, I never stated that I invented the "Ollie".

Where you come up with this stuff is funny Eric.

But since you seem to want to continue this without ADDING to the discussion, I`ll bow out and let you have the reigns...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brady Mitchell on 2003-02-17 09:23 ]</font>

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:16 pm

Oh your pre "Ollie" thing that Gelfand copied.

I got that from you

"On 11/19/2001 Scabs wrote in from 216.78.xxx.xxx:
On 11/13/2001 hc wrote in from 207.212.xxx.xxx:
lynn, cool info on rodney.

just curious, who is the first to hit kickflip (new school style)? and when?
hc,
I wouldn`t be surprised if a cali boy takes credit for it but I`d have to believe it originated down in the Ratlands (south florida). I had this move back in `76 that started from a 360% spin and lift the board up in the air. At first I could only bust a 180% on this manuever but after long hours of practice, I finally started landing the 360%. Differance from the kickflip is not only was my board spinning but so was I.

Then a local skatepark opened that year in Hollywood called Skateboard USA. Under the ramp to the main bowl was a little bowl with lots of places to roll in. On hot summer days, this was the place to be to escape the heat. Soon this other kid started doing my move but he one-upped me and took it to the vert.

Yup, we`re talking about Alan Gelfand, my fellow rat. And the move is his...OLLIE and I respect him for not only pulling off the baddest trick but also revolutionizing skateboard too.

Others where doing tricks along the same lines too. That`s why I`d have to believe the new school kick flip had to originate fron down here. Just a natural progression of things.

And speaking of Alan, he and I are still buds and for what he`s done, he doesn`t have a big head. Just another local rat."

I heard you and Alan are "buds" because you exterminate the mosquitos around his house for free.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ARAB on 2003-02-17 13:18 ]</font>

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:47 pm

Perfect!!!

I knew you`d bring that post up and it perfectly illustrates your warped thinking.

Where did I say I invented the "OLLie"?

Most tricks were variations from another. The one I worked on for many hours was a 360 air move on the street. The "OLLie" is a no hands frontside air ON VERT. Latter on, any move that involved a board popping in the air with no hands became bastardized "OLLies" but the TRUE "OLLie" is a vert move.

So while you think it`s fun taking a pot shot at me, you have also included perhaps THE most influential skater of all times in your jolly. And to top it off, made fum of our friendship and my proffession.

Just how big does that make you feel? Is your ego glowing? Are you happy now?

And still, you haven`t stated why you do this...the dissing.

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:06 pm

"Soon this other kid started doing my move"

Funny I have never heard of Alan mentioning your move that he took to vert..........

Either you were never givin credit for the move you invented or Alan ripped you off!

If a true "Ollie" is done Frontside on Vert, Then your flat ground trick revolutionized skateboarding and I think we need to contact every Magezine and inform them that they need to do feature articles on Brady "Scabs" Mitchell the TRUE inventer of the "Ollie" now Known as the "Scabs", I think Stacey Peralta had it all wrong, when he was in Florida he found the wrong guy.

I can see it now, Sony Classic Picture Presents RATLANDS and Ratboy, the true story of the Ollie(Scabs). Staring Brady "Scabs" Mitchell, inventor of the most famous skateboard trick that revolutionized skateboarding. You should take this documentation you have and Patent your move, then every time a kid does a "Scabs" you can charge them a dollar. You'll be rich in no time, Heck you wont even have to spray mosquitos around Alans house anymore.