PASSPORTS REQUIRED IN 2007

Discussion Forum
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

PASSPORTS REQUIRED IN 2007

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:01 pm

I might be the only American this concerns, but I just remembered something today:

PASSPORTS ARE NOW REQUIRED FOR TRAVEL TO AND FROM CANADA.

Last year we got by with Driver's Licenses and birth certificates. According to INS, though, only a passport will now get you across the border. The change went into effect January 1, 2007.

Anyway, it's better to go ahead now and fill out the paperwork than wait until June to remember you need one to get to the Dovercourt race in Ottawa.

This is from the Homeland Security website (http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingbor ... asics.shtm)

This travel initiative is being implemented in two phases. The first phase will be for air travel, and the second for land/sea travel.

For Air Travel
As of January 23, 2007, U.S. citizens and citizens of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are now required to present a valid passport to enter (or re-enter) the U.S.

For Land/Sea Travel
As early as January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), could be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security in a forthcoming separate rule.

Even though driving across doesn't require a passport til next year, might as well go ahead and pay the fee and do the deed. Passports are a lot easier to deal with than lots of little pieces of paper.

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Blame Bush

Post by Robert Sydia » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:40 pm

Wesley:

Bush doesn't like us Canadians, nor does he want our tourist dollars.

The passport offices are receiving thousand's of applications a day, mine and my son's included, and their is no indication on how long it will take.

I know the past success of the Canadian contingent of racers has our fellow Americans a little worried, but I didn't think you would get your President involved in keeping us out of the country and away from the racing.

God Bless Bush

All the best,

Rob

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:05 pm

Ah passports... I got two, one american, one german. Makes customs easier depending where you are.

Just be careful which citizenship you declare when registering for your first race, it'll stick on the world ranking.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:27 pm

gee wes,i know life is a little slower in columbia,but thats been common knowledge for a while now.i actually had to use my passport to get into the republic of texas.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Malcolm Stooke

Post by Malcolm Stooke » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:38 pm

you only need a passport to cross by air.

in a car or on a boat, a birth certificate is fine.

which means you can all come to my race! may 13

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Skating over here.

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:23 pm

The way the dollar is doing against the Canadian dollar, under the Bush administration...Canada better put up a fence to stop Americans from crossing the border to working under the table for those Canadian dollars.

Gone are the Famous Crazy drunken Canadian USD$3 lap dance after race parties in Montreal with USD $1 beers.

On the brighter side, we get to see Claude a lot more, and as one of the old guard slalomers who seems to be getting faster each year. You'll have more fun racing on a big hill with Claude than waking up next to two french Canadians.

uh

well.........

maybe not, but we still like having our Canadian pals down as often as possible. It's great to see them at our races.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour