JUNIOR AGE

Discussion Forum
Gustavs Gailitis
Gustavs
Gustavs

JUNIOR AGE

Post by Gustavs Gailitis » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Anykind of sports can be developed if it has got young bloods and a junior group. Unfurtunely they are not so much in slalomskateboarding. Its nice to see races where organisers are thinking about juniors and are included a junior group. Of course, its hard for juniors to travel from country to country.
My opinion is that the junior age limit must be changed (now it is that you are junior if the result of this year minus your birth year gives 17 or less) but it would be only normal that in the junior group could start all slalomers that are less then 18 ( now it is a big diference if you are born on end of december in1989 or on end of january in1990 because first example gives 2007-1989=18,but 2007-1990=17).
So it means that the for first one his slalom junior career is over and there will be one junior less in the competiton although he will have 17 for all this season.
If you want to upgrade your board,visit - http://www.coneracing.com/

http://fullbagskates.com/

http://www.slalomskaters.lv/ - Wheelbite Racing

Nick Chamberlain

Post by Nick Chamberlain » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:19 pm

This is something that happens to me in other sports too, I was born in November so I always get cut out of a year compared to those born early next year. The rule, like in some other sports, should be you must be 17 or younger at the start of the event to compete in the junior category

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:49 pm

Three weeks before my 18th birthday I went to the US Nationals especially just so I could qualify in the Junior division. I got 5th place. I think there were only like 8 juniors racing but it was really important for me to do as it would be the last time I'd be racing as a junior.

I think there should be an ISSA requirement that if more than so many racers under 18 sign up they should have their own division.

I was dissapointed to see at events like Brixlegg they didn't find time to do a bracket of 8 junior racers and left those juniors who showed up to try to qualify in a very small and fast brackett of 16 amatuers. We need to encourage young talent.

In 2004- 2005 I loved racing in the junior divisions of races, kept me stoked even though I didn't find any speed on a slalom board until 2006.

Although recently I think the main detractions from these special categories are racers like Joe Maclaren and Adam Schwippert, these kids beat anybody no matter what age.

I leave it to the individual race organizers to measure the demographics of their races. Junior divisions should be encouraged.

Chris Hart
Airflow-Skateboards.com
Airflow-Skateboards.com

Post by Chris Hart » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Hello .....
are we the only nation who face the future?
Here are some pictures of the Swiss Junior Championships 2005.
(unfortunately it was raining last year)
The starting fee was only 10 CHF (6.5EURO,8USD)
We had more than 30 Riders on the starting list, perfect conditions with the weather and a lot of cool stuff to winn.
Hope to see some more riders at the up coming races.

chris hart

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:46 pm

Chris Hart wrote:Hello .....
are we the only nation who face the future?
Nice. It's what we should all do!

Talking about that, my aunt who is living in Swiss ask me if it would be possible to organize a demo/initiation for kids. It's juste near Neuchatel.
Would you and some other swiss intereted to participate (it's on Saturday 5th of May 2007)?
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Chris Hart
Airflow-Skateboards.com
Airflow-Skateboards.com

Post by Chris Hart » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 am

Hello Vincent

please tell your friend, he should come to the funrace "Slalombrunch" witch take place at the 1. of mai in Thalwil. (it is only 1.5h from Neuchatel)
I am sure it will be a lot of fun and he also can test a lot of diverent decks.

Please take a look at: viewtopic.php?t=4823
or: http://www.airflow-skateboards.com/asph ... php?id=419

Thanks chris

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 am

Chris Hart wrote:Hello Vincent

please tell your friend, he should come to the funrace "Slalombrunch" witch take place at the 1. of mai in Thalwil. (it is only 1.5h from Neuchatel)
I am sure it will be a lot of fun and he also can test a lot of diverent decks.

Please take a look at: viewtopic.php?t=4823
or: http://www.airflow-skateboards.com/asph ... php?id=419

Thanks chris
Chris this is not my friend but my aunt... anyway the goal of this little event is to give new idea to children and parent to find new physical activities:
for example capoeira, swimming, mountain bike but also slalom skateboard!
It's also a good way for a brand to show products directly to this new public!
If you know anybody that could come and skate with me (and eventually bring a few more boards), let me know!
They can pay for gas and offer healthy lunch.
[ www.pavel-skates.com ] [ www.riderz.net ]
"Dont care what the World say - I and I could a never go astray -Well wee gona have Things our Way" - Robert Nesta Marley

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Unfortunatly there will always be limits. And when there are limits it always feels bad when you are a millimeter on the wrong side. When you get 17 or 18 years old I think in general that most would like to start competing against the older guys rather than only against racers same age or younger.

It always hard to use age limits because some guys are pros at 18 and other have just started skating slalom. The A, B, C, D groups of Am classes is another way of solving this problem. It's not so much the age but the skill you want to gather into groups. Slaloming with people that has equal skills is always so much more fun.

I think it is a good idea to make special events for juniors also but we must realize that the biggest events may not be able to handle this any more in the future. Already Paris decided this a long time ago. With the slalom scene growing the biggest events of the year will be more and more aimed towards the Pro group. Let's be happy as long as the Am group stays. That too might fall away if slalom continues to grow.

Am and junior classes is more logic on lower status events where it is more a social happening than a serious competition athmosphere. I like the way it is now with the whole slalom family gathered at big events but I understand if it won't be possible for ever. Unless you run the events on paralell... that could work even with a growing slalom scene... but would demand more of the organizers.

Stefano Bellingeri
Stefano
Stefano

Post by Stefano Bellingeri » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 am

Dear friends,
well..... we will have soon a pretty new slalomer....
Give me three years time...
My child Ulderico is now fours months "old".
I wish you all a nice Easter
CU in Paris,
Stefano[/img]

Vladimir Yakemenko

Post by Vladimir Yakemenko » Wed May 30, 2007 11:36 am

As for me, groups mustn't be like "less 18", because it is really hard, for example, for me (I'm 14) to compete with tall, strong and fat 17-18-years-old riders...like it was on our last competitions.
Hope to see other groups.
Real noob.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed May 30, 2007 12:45 pm

Ideally we should have several age groups for juniors, but in most competitions it's hard to have enough riders to create a junior group. We need to help local organizers put on many smaller events, where we could have juniors of all ages and levels participating. Those small "outlaw" events are a great way to be introduced to slalom racing.

My opinion is also that Juniors should primarily race in local races and big international events are for Pro and top Am skaters. I think very few juniors will travel far to go to an international event and it's not so fun to have just 2-3 skaters in each category.

Junior racers are the future of the sport. If we can find a way to motivate more juniors we're securing the future of the sport. And, as we have seen with guys like Ramon Königshausen, only months after moving up from the Junior class you could become a top level pro!

/Jani

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed May 30, 2007 4:06 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:My opinion is also that Juniors should primarily race in local races and big international events are for Pro and top Am skaters. I think very few juniors will travel far to go to an international event and it's not so fun to have just 2-3 skaters in each category.

/Jani
I saw a lot of young guys in Paris. The swedish, latvian and swiss juniors. I talked to a couple kids who were bummed to qualify 17th and just not get to race much on saturday. If race organizers can fit it into the schedule, trying to get eight racers under 18 at every prime status race should be a possible goal. If you have eight skaters you can do a very quick and fun round of eliminations which will let younger guys race people their own age which makes at lot more fun.

Offering this kind of sub race will motivate kid to show up to races where they don't think they will make the top 16 Amatuers.

If kids can race in their own group they will bring their friends. The current way juniors are getting into slalom of a pro coaching one young guy isn't as good for the sport as finding a way to encourage kids and teens to get other kids into it. It's also good business sense. You want to know why every kid in America had a Razor scooter a couple years ago? Because one of their friends got one and they just HAD to have one. Sell slalom skateboards like you do hockey and football equipment. Parents will buy it for their kids, if the kids want to do it with their friends.

And all these races get cool prizes but the guys who win them don't need the stuff. If a kid or teen shows up to a race and wins a board for getting third in a junior division he will keep riding slalom for years.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed May 30, 2007 5:44 pm

Discipline classes according to the World Ranking Rules

Code: Select all

Age    Class
---    -----
50-    Legends (Men/Women)
45-    Masters (Men/Women)
Open   Pro (Men/Women)
Open   Pro-Open (Men/Women) (Pro and Am mixed but listed separately)
Open   Open (Men/Women) (Pro and Am mixed)
Open   Am (Men/Women)
-17    Junior (boys/girls)
-14    Boys/girls
-11    Kids

Age is decided depending on birth year and not the specific birth date.
The year you have your 17:th birthday you are counted as having age 17.
The year you have your 18:th birthday you are counted as having age 18.