New Job

Discussion Forum
Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:02 pm

I am proud to announce that I've been named the <b>National Sales Manager</b> for <b>Osiris Shoes</b>, here in San Diego. I'll be working in-house with Dave Andrecht and a host of other skate legends... Tony Magnusson of course!

Osiris was a major money sponsor for the first La Costa Open. They (whoops, we) are also backing Hackett on his upcoming Skatelab DeathSlalom event.

My email is henry@osirisshoes.com

Uh... see you at the show bro.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:44 pm

Cool.

I've worn Converse since I was a kid but the last couple of pairs are starting to hurt my feet. I guess the shape of my feet has changed. There was a time when I wore Vans when I could order the leather high tops special color but like I have read from others with a similar story, Vans got too big and I couldn't buy my custom shoes any longer...

So a few weeks ago, my little Elijah who is 5 said, "Hey Dad, get some Osiris like you bought me." We went to the kickflipper store and Elijah and I picked some out.

I've now skated in the pool with them and used them to cut cones. I like them. The sole stands up to a foot drag stop, I can still feel my board and they don't bother me to wear them.

Henry, congratulations on your new job! I dig the shoes myself and this is from a dedicated Converse man.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:27 pm

Hey Henry (wow it feels weird to say my own name)

I'm interested in getting some Osiris shoes for the upcoming season as the cheap Vans I bought this summer have fallen apart. Could you tell me which shoe Osiris makes looks to be the most durable, for footbraking I mean?

Henry J
what coast?

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:38 pm

Mr Hester

congrat's on the new job, must be a nice payday...good company, good product, should sell itself nicely...Now to the part where I ask you how, someone like myself, might go about getting some flow?...

I hold down my region (mid-atlantic) well, and have a nice following of kids that I instruct and ride with. I have solid contest results, and a good reputation, but my feet need love, and you MR. Hester could really help me out. I'm not just asking to get something free, I plan on returning the favor. Anyway, I guess, you can take this however you like, hope I'm not coming across as a kook, but I do need a shoe flow, bad.....Will put Osiris on the podium for sure..If you would like to know more or ask me any questions, please contact me cabbage03@hotmail.com or I'll talk to you at Simmi. Thanks for the consideration....

sk8 till U dIe,

Cabbage

ps I do have a degree of seperation to Osiris, my roommate in SD, Mavis, did the after effects on the Osiris aftermath video, and Mavis worked on the video, after I introduced him to a good friend of mine, Dave Schlosbach, who has worked with Tony Mag for years, from the H-Street days. Dave also, produced the Osris video.... See Dave is originaly from Maryland....anyway...enjoy the new job, it's a good one...

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:15 am

Congrats H
You have way to many friends, I hope your paycheck is big enough to take care of all of them with new shoes.

Best Wishes, If I had my own company I would want you there to run it also, with what you did with G&S before the dark days of skateboarding and your success at Rusty I know that Osiris has picked a winner!

Good Luck Bro
Come up and skate with us when you have time, And dont forget to bring shoes, I'm a size 11

Arab

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:54 am

Congrats on the new job Mr. H.!

Did you know Osiris Germany sponsored the best concrete Skatepark in Germany? It is located in Ravensburg and built by Bowl Construction (www.bowl.ch) and it is perfect!

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:04 pm

hey Arab, I'm like you on the van's thing...since 5th grade non-stop...but they have no love for me.....If all my friends weren't vert pro's I would be paying alot of money to sk8 a park that I have won every race they have hosted..... I know they can't support everyone that supports them, but, I have a huge impact on my area, being a director of the local government sk8 camp, and doing alot of private, and group lessons...just seems like if these company's are gonna claim to support sk8ing, then you should take into consideration the guys that work with the kids, and take time to grow the sport...
Just ranting, cause being a sk8er, I go through some shoes.....anyway its all good,
and if there is a bunch of people hit'n you up HH then, don't sweat it...because I would way rather have respect then come across as a mooch......so if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.....

either way I have skayeboarding, and you don't always need shoes to do that..( to a degree....

sk8 till U dIe,

cabbage

Jason Herd

Post by Jason Herd » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:10 pm

Cabbage, I agree with you about the lack of support from Vans. There shoe quality has gone downhill, but they are no longer the mom and pop company that they started out as. Vans is like a blob which keeps growing and growing and has gotten so large that they had to move to the malls from the skate shops. Other companies have followed thru pac-sun. (Pacific Sunwear)Personally, I like ipath shoes now because they are durable, and they represent a more hardcore image than other companies. By this I mean that they stay true to the individuality which skateboarding represents. Alot of their riders are into rastafarianism, the modern hippie movement and other naturalistic ways of life. Their name says it all. Cabbage, we should go to zion skateshop near vans on saturday so you can check out the ipaths. I am gonna get a pair then anyways. Call me. 301-932-8947 later player

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:14 pm

Hey, Henry!

I wonder if you had announced you'd taken a job with SOPRANOS WASTE MANAGEMENT if these guys would still be jonesin' for free stuff? :smile:

Congrats on the new gig. How long before we see a "Bad H" Signature Osiris model?

Cabbage

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:12 pm

now Wes you know I would be wanting waste managment services, especialy from some italian that nows people....

sk8 till U dIe,

cabbage

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:51 pm

I remember when Bad H was working for Mervin Manufacturing (Makers of Gnu and Libtech (short for Liberace Technologies) snowboards).

I was a buyer in 1990 for a Snowboard shop in Boston and had pulled a bunch of strings to get gear in my shop (seemed some of the slalomers moved to the snowboard Industry - Steve Cathey at Ride Snowboards- Hester at Mervin- Korten at Naked Snowboards, Jose Fernandez + Tom Sims at Sims, Santa Cruz snowboards, Vision Snowboards, etc.) So in the last few weeks of November I managed to get the shop completely stocked- despite everything being sold out (seems a lot of other shops suddenly got "backordered"). :cool:
So I go to what was then called Ski Industries of America's trade show in Vegas- looking forward to meeting the only pro athlete I ever wanted to be like as a kid- HH.

I look up at the mapboard...first day of the show...find the Mervin spot and go looking. Absolute mayhem at the show- everyone wandering around...strippers adorn nearly every booth, product tosses abound, sticker fest, lots of flashing lights and glitz.:eek: It's typical SIA (BTW this show has more security for it than The consumer Electronics show and the Adult Expo which run at the same time-)

You can imagine my surprise when I look over at a bunch of guys sitting quietly in Suits and ties sitting at large corporate style dark desks in Mervin's spot. Obviously these guys are a bunch of clueless geeks trying to direct market from a lamination house with no image....but a closer look shows---ta-dah! It's Bad H himself and his merry Mervin men :smile: - I stand back for a bit and watch them look at familiar accounts just waltz by- not noticing them. It was hysterical - Hester commenting to other reps how he can't believe that no one has figured it out. I figure....that's the Henry Hester who's the exact same Henry Hester he was 20 years ago- only funnier. :grin:

So they do this for a long time before they start to write orders. I talked to Henry about slalom for a bit- he seemed sad that the sport of slalom didn't exist anymore I told him that I was trying to get it started again..had 2 permanent slalom spots on the East Coast- tried to sell complete decks mail order, I brought in My Turner to show around, some people thought it was cool.

So the next year they dress up as 7 foot tall Pink bunnies handing out cotton candy... I think the year after that they had a Harpist playing "Angelic music" while handing out free Heavy Metal rocker T-shirts and firing dollar bills out of a leaf blower every ten minutes with stickers over Washingtons face saying "We're Mervin Manufacturing....please like us".

Henry and Olson (not Steve- Mike) those guys must have thought up all this crazy shit.

So Henry, what can we expect at the Osiris booth?

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:57 am

JG, We booked nothing on the first day but things picked up after that. 4 Million in three days. I guess it pays to not play the game like everyone else.

Actually, we dressed exactly how the Ride owners dressed everyday - figuring they were successful - why couldn't we be successful too.