Product Of The Year 2002

Discussion Forum
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Product Of The Year 2002

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:44 pm

There is some discussion going on in "other" forums concerning a possible Product Of The Year. So far the nominees range from trucks to wheels, cones to timing systems.

To be honest, though, I don't think "soul carvers" or "freestylers" give a damn one way or the other about cones or tape switches. So I made the decision to move the topic over here. After all, Slalom is Slalom and we have our own ideas about what is innovative and what is imitative.

I would only make one suggestion: perhaps we can have THREE catagories of POTYs?

1. Regular Slalom
2. Longboard Slalom
3. Ancillary equipment (cones, timers, etc.)

And now my personal favorite for Product Of The Year in Slalom: any website that saved me money on motel rooms. Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Priceline were the only thing that made my summer of road trippin' possible. File that under "#3"!

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:07 pm

Glad you brought this over here wesley, everytime I post anything on ncdsa.com in any forum besides slalom and events i get jumped on so I gave up.

poty...

Turner Avalons. These wheels changed our sport in 2002. Courses got faster/bigger, riders charged harder and performance in general was raised. A wheel that 95% of all riders on the FCR pro & open series are riding is amazing. The podium results for this wheel speak for themselves.

Runners up.
-Abec 11 flashbacks, did more for longboard and speedboard than any other wheel, even flaywheels.
-Turner GS/Hybrid series. By far the the most versitle deck on the market, from a beginner to a top pro racer this board just plain works. Podium results speak for themselves.
-Tracker RT-X. Raised the bar for trucks. Might not be the best quality for for $35 a set they are alot of bang for the buck
-Bones Swiss 6-ball bearings. Say what you want about all "other" bearings, but these bearings amazing.
-Pocket Pistol 36", in the second half of the FCR season this deck did for decks what the avalons did for wheels. Upped the bar again for courses and speed.
-Turner Cambrias...baby avalons...made the strada on 90% of courses useless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Stepanek on 2002-12-01 15:08 ]</font>

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:48 am

<b>Turner Avalons</b> should get "Product of the Year" even though I'd want to narrow them a little on both the front side and back side. Still too sticky.

Product of the year? Absolutely!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:19 am

The best sh*t 2002.
I vote Avalons. Even though I make most of them as wide as Cambrias and use 88/92A Flashbacks in the front, because Turner only makes soft wheels.
I like Cambrias the best, but Avalons were a breakthrough.
Sort of like the Sputnik and the rest of the space-conquering programs.
Slalom Site of the 20th Century - NCDSA.
Slalom Site of the year- slalomskateboarder.
Slalom Skateboarder of the year: Wes E*tr*dge, formerly known as WesE.
Boards: my own.
Trucks: Tracker RTs.
Comeback of the year: Jani Soderhall.
-----Timer: Tway’s
-----Sex Symbol: Gilmour
-----Race (I only attended a few): Da Farm
-----Coach: Kimbel
-----Race organizer (from those I met): Parsons
-----Experience: 100-cone run

Vlad.

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:00 pm

Why do we like Avalons so much? No hubs.

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:29 am

Avalons....

Nuff said...

No wait a sec, not enough said.

They increased the speed and daring of racing this season. Perhaps the best wheels I've ever ridden this side of red C-70's.
My amp is warmed up and I'm ready to shred!!!

Bruce Brewington
Wall Street Racing
Wall Street Racing

Post by Bruce Brewington » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:33 pm

Product of the year: while there were many exceptional items on the smorgasboard of slalom gear this year (Avalons, PVD trucks etc) one of my favorites for 2002 was the FCR Series DVD collection put together by Kenny and Robin.

And in fact, Kenny's and Robin's newest DVD...the 2002 World Championships is great. Having all the others in last years FCR series, I belive that this is the best yet. Great FCR Series summary in the beginning and excellent coverage of the 3 days in California's Central Coast. The quick collage footage of all the skaters in and around the event is put together extremely well...great editing. It makes slalom look like a lot of fun...just look at the smiles on the faces of Ransom, Chicken et al in the video. There is even footage that makes slalom look as fast as it feels (except for my footage, which looks very slow...hey Kenny...did you slow down the tape or what ??) If you don't have any of the others in the series, this is the one to get. It features everything that makes slalom fun. Also the personality/family shots add a lot of colour to the overall package. The slalom community is filled with interesting personalities and this video seems to bring out the best in everybody who participated. Thanks Kenny & Robin !!!