"the dark side of the cone"

Discussion Forum
Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:46 pm

Got some smack to talk, do it here.
Need to confess a slalom sin, do it here.
Wanna bet, do it here.
This thread is where it gets down and dirty.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:20 am

Ok, TK, I'll throw a little gas on the fire. A few weeks ago Joe Iacovelli made an observation on "some other skateboard slalom/event forum" that is worth repeating here. To me it was so enlightening that ever since I have found myself categorizing people who participate in these slalom skateboard forums:

"Keyboard racers."

How profound can you get? This is neither the time nor the place to name names, but obviously they are all around. I think it's important that now and in the future everything is done to stamp out this scourge that infects our little sport.

• Yes, everyone is entitled an opinion
• Yes, everyone has the right to express their opinion.
• No, there is no obligation to tolerate a worthless opinion
• Yes, it is an evangelical duty to dissuade, stamp out and remove from our comfortable midst those who's opinions have no weight, no value and certainly no meaningful use to anyone who slalom races.

Beware the keyboard racers. They are a blight and and a boil on the body of skateboard slalom. Shout them down, string them up and if all else fails, just take a big damned stick and beat the hell out of 'em!

Thanks, Joe. Although you may have thought at the time it was just an off-the-cuff remark, in retrospect you illuminated a dark, dank stain that needs to be cleansed.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:43 am

Yes, Wesley but are they fast ?????? :smile:

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:54 am

Claude, that really depends on whether you count the raw speed or the corrected speed.

After all, anyone can rip it, but ripping it precisely is what counts.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:04 am

I've noticed that the keyboard racing seems to increase about this time every year. A seasonal trend that I've come to expect, but not enjoy. Should be about time for another criddling and/or cone dimension debate.

And while we're at it....... What's the deal with"raw times"? I just don't get it.

If a racer hits 6 cones, but has a great raw time, does the raw time have any actual value? Seems to me, the racer took a faster line thru the course, the evidence of which are the hit cones. So, of course his/her "raw time" is better than if he/she ran the course clean.

Isn't that one of the points of cone penalties; to penalize the racer for "cutting corners"? Anyone want to set me straight?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevin M. Gamble on 2002-11-30 09:26 ]</font>

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:31 pm

Joe, I spot you 6 cones on a long course (40 cones) 3 cones on a short course (25 cones) and we go. I would put sandy up against you but she is pregnant and being waxed by a pregnany woman may push you over the edge. The wager is a case of your beer of choice. (yes I realize I still owe you 35.00) 25 foot push start. best of 3. We will do this at the next race we both attend. I will leave nick out of this for now. Get practicing, Terry
BTW this brings up a point made by HH. Hadicapping. How many cones do I get if I race Gilmour? I think I can beat him if he gives me one cone on a short course.

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:19 pm

I see great value in raw times. There have been plenty of times when I hit "dumb cones" that didn't help me to go any faster than if I had actually gone around them cleanly. If, for example I hit 3 dumb cones at .2 seconds on a single lane course, my time is skewed by over half a second. I am very interested in my raw time compared to other's raw times because the question that I am asking myself is who would win if everyone is clean. If the only way that I can win is when others plow cones and I'm clean, that means that I am slow. If I can plow cones while others are clean and still win, that means that I am fast.

I have to assume that everyone is capable of making a clean run and gauge my speed and aggressiveness accordingly. I only care about raw times unless it's immediately after a heat against an opponent in a dual. Then I care about who hit what and how many.

I do not believe that slalom is the manly art of cone avoidance. I think that slalom is a race and racing is about speed. Cones are pesky course markers and hitting one can be a penalty. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Sooner or later, we all hit cones. Embrace the hitting of cones. It's never going to go away. Don't try to solve it. It's not a problem. The only problem is in counting and resetting them efficiently. Criddling is a beautiful thing to see done well. Brains can and do count for something in racing. More strategy and less purity means more victories. If having the respect of the purists is more important than winning for you, than you are a pure loser, through and through.

Speed is everything. Precision is a bonus. I don't remember seeing any trophies on anyone's shelf for being the cleanest. If you are fast, you only have to be "precise enough". If you are slow, you have to count on the misfortunes of others to win.

Current Fear List:

Dunn, Gilmour, Cross, Ransom, Chicken. Everyone else is within reach.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:04 pm

I want to race Adam N from http://www.ncdsa.com

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:18 pm

Adam N from NCDSA doesnt race!

Not sure if he even skateboards?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:38 pm

Chris, when I say I'll spot so and so some cones I mean I don't start untill the other racer is 3 cones into the course or whatever. That makes it fun because you have to hunt the other guy down and he has to not freak out and panic in order to win. These races can be exciting no matter who is racing. I agree on the cones theory, a clean run is nice but winning is nicer. TK

PS. What open racers NEED to go pro next year to make room for new open racers? I know I'm movin up to the big boys.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:46 pm

I'll be at WLAC next weekend in case he does...
On 2002-11-30 15:18, ARAB wrote:
Adam N from NCDSA doesnt race!

Not sure if he even skateboards?

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:16 am

TK, That makes sense. Otherwise you are in for a lot of math. The best way for someone to beat you is to agree on the number of cones and then make the starting line about a hundred feet from the first cone.

If you just say "I'll spot you a cone", what does that mean. It probably means that have to figure out the average cone spacing and the time it takes to run one cone. For this you'll need the length of the Whole course (W), the distance between the Starting line and the first cone (S), the the distance between the Finishing line and the last cone (F), the Time it takes the slow guy to run the whole course (T), and the Number of cones (N). You need to adjust the time to reflect how long it takes to cover the distance (D) between the first cone and the last cone. D=W-(S+F). The time for just the cones is T*D/W. You really need the number of gaps between the cones (C) which is equal to the number of cones minus one or C=N-1. Divide the time it takes between the cones by the number of gaps to see what a cone is worth. Let's say that you have a 200' course that includes a 30' start and a 20' finish. It takes 12secs from start to finish and there are 28 cones.

W=200
S=30
F=20
T=12
C=28
N=C-1=27
D=W-(S+F)=150
"Cone time" is T*D/W=12*150/200=9secs
9 seconds to run 27 gaps means that a cone is worth 9sec/27 which is 1/3 of a second.

If you're not going to play "catchup" on the course, don't say "I'll spot you 2 cones", say "I'll spot you 2/3 of a second" instead.

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:53 am

Hey, I had to race that little punk from Turner. What's his name? Dylan. That's it.

I gave him 20 cones, I think. Never came close to catching up to him but I was able to make plenty of noise and scare him a little. Handicapping can be fun but you've really got to intimidate your competitor. They've got to hear you comin' and start to freak out.

One time in a race with Marty Shawb in Catalina, I ran him into the stinger at speed that neither of us could handle. I put on the brakes, dropping my knees on every turn and watched him sail by. He made the first four stinger cones and then completely blew out. How much fun was that!

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:16 am

When Psych jobs go bad...
At Avilla Beach Gs this year I went into the round of 8 having to race Siale. Given the course and having seen Siale at La Costa I felt like I needed an edge. I ask JG what do I do. JG says get the sickest start you can and it may rattle him and force him to scrub on the first 3 cones. For the next 5 minutes I'm psycing MYSELF out on the stupid start. "gotta get the hole shot,gotta get the hole shot" We get up there and the beeps start, I pull on 3.75 and SLAM the gate and tip the ramp up. I look up and Siale is down his ramp and into his 2nd turn. Beats me by like 9/10ths. you know the reat of the story. BTW, Siale gained like 25lbs of muscle since La Costa and didnt even tie his shoes when he raced. Beware of him next year if he goes pro.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:41 am

Siale is a machine. He is going to bring a word of hurt down on either the pro or open class next season. He is one to watch!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:31 am

You should watch me too, damnit. :smile:

The following is really random because I am tired and hopped up on Vanilla Coke.

So I've noticed that over here at this forum, people can post and not get jumped on because you are all adults over 30 and I am 18. I like that. We act our age.
I remember when I first started posting at... er... the unspeakable bulletin board that oddly still is my homepage, all the cool people were posting there. But then the cool people left. Now I have found the cool people again.
Another random thing... I think on January first, 2003, I will stop posting as Henry J and start posting as Henry. I think people know who I am and besides I put ICK under my name, and the other Henry doesn't. BTW, Henry is the coolest name ever.
Thirdly, it's time to rib my all time favorite slalomer Joe Iacovelli. Dude, I can say with confidence that you would not have been able to handle the WLAC GS. Yeah yeah you have like 1000000 boards but that just doesn't cut the mustard. No footbraking mid course either... you would have biffed it so hard it would have hurt people in China (however that works.)
Also, ur13 likes green bananas.

Oh and Lauren Gordon, I know you never check this forum because you're riding horses around pool tables and stuff (inside joke) but... 1) where is my t shirt 2) we need to race each other so I can beat you.

As you can see, it's great to have a place where I can rant like this without getting abuse votes. I love all of you and I will be slaloming untill I die. Slalom is probably the best thing that has happened to me... I used to be a big mountain biker but now when I ride I am thinking about slalom... and I'll never look at a road the same way again...

Thank you for letting me join the slalom world.

Henry J
ICk

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:43 pm

Mr.Julier,

Post as you want. We are using our full names to sign in, this identifies our name to slalom skateboarding. What could be cooler than using our own names? If you want an aka or a alias or moniker, this is ok here too, you just have to identify your posts by registering your full name. I will hook you up with your fool (all due respect) name.

Mr.Arab posts here under ARAB but I have identified his post with his name. He did not compromise. He was banned from ncdsa and I diligently protested this there. Here, as my mother taught me, "Adam, sometimes it is better to be polite than right." so I went with being polite. ARAB won but ultimately, we all win as he is a talented multi faceted skateboarder. I may not agree with some of his writing, but one thing is for sure, I RESPECT what he has done for skateboarding in other ways as well.

Jani calls it "hard rules" and I am trying to get WesE to identify himself too. It is a personal pursuit for me to do this, to try to improve and to get you guys to help me help us help our sport.

It's a tough thing to do...

Send me a picture of you riding cone so I can hook you up with a little "author" picture. Also tell me what you want to say above the image.

http://www.ncdsa.com is the reason why http://www.slalomskateboarder.com exsists. It's not an "us and them" thing at all. I like that site but I thought with the people I knew and the resources at hand that I could, ahmmm, "we" as a community could do a good job so I took a chance...

It's bad enough that I am banned, having to listen to my rant, don't go about getting yourself banned.

All of us who look at both forms of forums have balance, it is important to use it when having fun writing online.

I enjoyed reading your Coke hyped er, Vanilla Coke hyped up post.

Best Regards to you in this Holiday Season and beyond...
On 2002-12-02 23:31, Henry Julier wrote:
You should watch me too, damnit. :smile:

The following is really random because I am tired and hopped up on Vanilla Coke.

So I've noticed that over here at this forum, people can post and not get jumped on because you are all adults over 30 and I am 18. I like that. We act our age.
I remember when I first started posting at... er... the unspeakable bulletin board that oddly still is my homepage, all the cool people were posting there. But then the cool people left. Now I have found the cool people again.
Another random thing... I think on January first, 2003, I will stop posting as Henry J and start posting as Henry. I think people know who I am and besides I put ICK under my name, and the other Henry doesn't. BTW, Henry is the coolest name ever.
Thirdly, it's time to rib my all time favorite slalomer Joe Iacovelli. Dude, I can say with confidence that you would not have been able to handle the WLAC GS. Yeah yeah you have like 1000000 boards but that just doesn't cut the mustard. No footbraking mid course either... you would have biffed it so hard it would have hurt people in China (however that works.)
Also, ur13 likes green bananas.

Oh and Lauren Gordon, I know you never check this forum because you're riding horses around pool tables and stuff (inside joke) but... 1) where is my t shirt 2) we need to race each other so I can beat you.

As you can see, it's great to have a place where I can rant like this without getting abuse votes. I love all of you and I will be slaloming untill I die. Slalom is probably the best thing that has happened to me... I used to be a big mountain biker but now when I ride I am thinking about slalom... and I'll never look at a road the same way again...

Thank you for letting me join the slalom world.

Henry J
ICk

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:26 am

I want to race Jani.
On a Special Slalom course.
With no timer.
Just for a photo.
In Paris.
So that I can have the Eiffel Tower in the background.
And Jani in the foreground.
Or vice versa.
It would be the most beautiful grudge match...
In my photo album.
It is only in my head now.
In the form of a fantasy.

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:15 am

Hey Joe and Henry and Adam-

Stop making long posts. It tends to clog things up and bury the really good and informative posts such as mine.

Thank you,

Lord Chaput

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:03 pm

I have no authority to talk smack since I am a low life, sorry sight of a slalomer. However, that is slowly (SLOWLY) changing. Maybe it will change more quickly soon enough. Though all the sand and salt on the roads right now make practice impossible.
Anyway, I have a few targets in my sights and I will list them in order.
1) Jim Siener
Great guy. Is a great encouragement. And is better than I am right now. But I have a stronger push start. Now I just need some solid pumping skills, then he's toast.
2)Henry Julier (a.k.a. ICK-boy!)
Love our chats, think he's a great guy, quite intelligent, but WAY too hyped up about his ICK stick and doesn't believe in giving inanimate objects--like skateboards--names. As punishment, I will give him a low-life slalomers licking this up coming season at some point.

2 on the hit list is great, but 3's a charm:

3)End up in the same bracket with TK and at least EARN back my 24 cones. WINNING then back might be shooting too high at this point in time.

By the way, I have thought alot about this and think that folks should bet cones when they race each other. We can call it slalom poker.
slalom is good

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:18 pm

Lord Chaput-

NEVER!!!! You call yourself a Lord, but any high school student worth his or her salt knows that feudalism sucked. Get someone else to farm your land, like Joe Iacovelli. He's pretty good at manual labor, and you don't have to feed him a lot because he's got plenty of reserves at hand.

FREEEEDOM!
-William Wallace

Vasocreta- I'm hyped up about my ICK because it's special. Is your board special? Didn't think so.

I am quite intelligent though, thanks for pointing that out.

Henry
what coast?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:37 pm

uh-oh...I see a Henry J vs. Vasocreta thing happening here! Don't make me have to seperate you two.

:razz:

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:38 pm

On 2002-12-04 11:18, Henry Julier wrote:

Vasocreta- I'm hyped up about my ICK because it's special. Is your board special? Didn't think so.

I am quite intelligent though, thanks for pointing that out.

Henry
You're welcome on the intelligence thing. As for your ICK, well, I know it's special. Kind of like Linus's blanket.
Anyone who talks more ABOUT their board than about riding itself deserves a threat of defeat..even from me!
slalom is good

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:47 am

ICK isn't a board... it's a state of being!
what coast?

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:35 am

"Ick" is what I said when my mom used to try and make me eat Lima Beans.

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:33 pm

Matt,
I'll give you 5 cones AND I will ride my BASS Board. You'll need more than a strong push to beat me, you gotta pump at sometime.

If I loose I'll blame the board and go and buy a Roe, then I will toast you back.

Jim

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:06 am

Henry, Joe is not smart enough for manual labor. The Family Feudalism does not suck. It gets kisses from Richard Dawson. A Dick kiss and sucking are two different things (I think).

The first 6 letters letters of Christopher is lord-like enough for me. "I stop her" are the last 8 letters in my name. This means that all of you ladies will never beat me in a race. Ever. You will be stopped. Period.

Lord Christopher has spoken. As you were.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Chaput on 2002-12-06 02:07 ]</font>

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:31 pm

On 2002-12-05 14:33, Jim Siener wrote:
Matt,
I'll give you 5 cones AND I will ride my BASS Board. You'll need more than a strong push to beat me, you gotta pump at sometime.

If I loose I'll blame the board and go and buy a Roe, then I will toast you back.

Jim
That is why I said I need some pumping skills, Jimbo!! Aftter I get those, you can ride a Roe, an Ick, a Turner, a rocket-boosterd, super, Star Destroyer with Seismics made on Saturn, and you'll still see my a*s.

Ok, maybe that is too much smack on my part, but I will win...eventually!!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:28 pm

Well this forum sure died rather quickly.
let's spice things up, shall we?

I want everyone's vote for the best looking slalomer. You can interpret "best looking" any way you want.

My vote goes to Joe Iacovelli. A sort of beauty arises from the chaos there.

henry
what coast?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:54 pm

Henry,

I'd vote for Ilva (strictly because of the "accent" she brings to racing, you understand.)

Of course, you're certainly welcome to your preferenes . . . not that there's anything wrong with that!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:39 pm

Oh man.

Just got a message from Joe. He's feeling very confused because I always pick on him. He says he's the only one who loves me, and he doesn't deserve such treatment.

Naturally I have to prove him wrong.

If you love Henry J say Aye!
what coast?

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:33 pm

Beware of the net mazis. You know, those that profess to eliminate thier foes albeit with a keyboard stroke.

Classic examples are those that continue to use and abuse the rating system over on ncdsa...(with an abuse rating)

And now there is some who proclaim they will attack and eliminate any keyboard racers. Wait a minute? Doesn`t that make them a keyboard racer? Will they attack and eliminate themselves?

Take it to the streets and cones.

Immaturity and impotence are easily expressed on the web. Real folks do thier talking with thier racing results.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:07 pm

My results in 2002:

The Gathering: 12.09 time in the Cyber Slalom
Somewhere between 9th and 15th place in the Hybrid. I remember my time was in the 17s, but I forget the placing.

Folly Beach - The round of Eight in regular slalom, losing to Paul Price
Round of Eight in the 36" Slalom, again losing to the same lucky Imperialist Limey (By the way, what else did he do that's memorable in 2002?)
The round of eight in longboard slalom, losing to John Gilmour.

Boston - The round of eight in tight slalom, losing to Eric (PSR) Brammer
The round of eight in hybrid slalom, losing to Terence Kirby.

DC Outlaw Series, July 27th - The round of Eight, losing to Curt Kimbel
Longboard - A decent time on Curt's board, but no where near the top eight

'da Farm - lousy performance from beginning to rain. I went down the hill a total of five times all day and only had two runs where I stayed in the course.

Georgia State Championships - waited as long as I could before going to a rather disappointing football game ('Cocks 7, Dawgs 13.)

2002 World Slalom Championships - 17th out of 16 qualifiers in the Open (did not qualify)
Qualified for the "B" group pros and eliminated by Attila Aszoldi.

Mountain State Slalom Skate - Spectated with the best of 'em. Most notable accomplishement is I avoided contacting pneumonia.

Ok, there's my race results. What's yours, you sorry, lousy, keyboard racing poser? Oh, and don't forget: Adam N ain't saving anyone on this site. Don't expect someone to come along and make the boo boos go away.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:35 pm

My results:
Keep in mind that this is a joke!!

da Farm v. 2: GS: DQ; TS: DQ (but I at least tried it.)

NJ flatland thing: QUALIFIED at snails pace! Lost to my good friend Jim S. And that is why he is on my hit list.
------------
So, um....what does this all mean??
Answer: That I suck the big fat monkey and need practice...lots of it!!
slalom is good

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:46 pm

Vaso, it means you go to races, race and are part of the racing scene. Results come with racing, not from just talking about it.

You're on the inside, doing what it takes to make yourself a more competitive racer. What you are NOT is some sorry posing slacker standing outside on the sidewalk with your nose pushed up against the glass screaming, "no! no! Not like that! Don't do it the way experience says to do it, do it the way endless voyeuristic fantasies wish it would be!"

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:12 pm

You go Tucker! With your Bad Bad self. :smile:

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:12 pm

I for one am very happy with the large turnout at the races.

I really am not interested in seeing how fast TK, Tway, UR13 and Noah are---though it is always fun to see Vlad surprise me with ridiculous improvement.

It's Troy, and other racers..."emerging new threats" to the above mentioned people that are really fun to see come out and race.

Best to see a newbie come out that tried the course- blows out, DQ's and goes home ....only to show up to the next race more determined and practiced and geared up. Some of the fast guys now were "those people" a few races ago.

Some people....myself included, were determined to practice in secret until I felt good enough to ....possibly place in a race. Well that takes way too long (lots of wasted years- skating alone- which sucks compared to hooking up with racers and posting times together).

It is a lot faster to go out there and race- figure out what needs to be done to win a race....by........actually racing- than by trying to guess how it would be.

Besides in our PC world nobody gives a "true view" of what goes on at the races. My July 4th race was so hot- we were all just barely keeping from passing out...I couldn't even do the bracketing at times. We had 4 timing systems and still it took 2 hours to get them to run since some were wired differently and were not compatible.

But to read it on the web- you'd think it was all perfect. And you would think everyone is a bunch of combative smack talking egomaniacs at these races- and for the most part you never met a more humble bunch of fellas.

So you do have to race- or you'll never know what it was like.....especially from reading it on the web. Talk to someone else who was there in private- you'd get a picture....but only their picture- though it is likely to be more accurate- from anyone's point of view.

So the new race to watch? Troy vs Curt Kimble.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:32 pm

If I were to vote on 3 active best looking (sexiest) slalomers in US today, it’d be:
  • III. Wes Focker, formelly known as WesE on this forum for his moves, no-compromise dress code and bold skating.
  • II. Charley Ransom for his style and the looks.
  • I. John Gilmour, who really doesn’t need any explanations.
Of course, Jani would get the most style points.
Here’s a related funny quote by Peter Klapka: “Jani is quick, experienced, but his style isn’t so ideal.” :smile:

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:32 am

New Rule: Vlad doesn't get to vote.

New Vote: Vlad's girlfriend, Ilva, Ilva's girlfriends

Who cares if they can stand on a board?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:58 am

4th of July Boston’s after-slalom “tea party” at some Chinese restaurant:
Duck, Fish, Chicken, Christina’s Breasts…that’s all I remember seeing at the table. I’m glad I’m not the only one…
Hope my girlfriend never checks this site! :grin:

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:22 am

Damn, Vlad, are you saying Parsons and I got all dressed up for nothing?

I'm crushed!:-)

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:02 am

Finale @ DC `01....qualified last (1st time out, paid in full by moi) where`s ______ ______???

La Costa `01...didn`t make it passed qualifying, (2nd time out, again all on my own dime, stuck with $800 rent-a-car bill, not worth discussing) again, where`s ______.

King of Kona `02...fractured rib in practice, pulled out before qualifying... and again, no ______.

Shit, nobody heard of this dude yet.

Yet all of sudden this EXPERT sets the course at Folly Beach `02. The course? Total lame ass dick course set by one who admits to have not skated on a long deck. Everyone there said the same thing. And your qualifying in the longboard race @ FB? Tell the truth ______, only half of those that tried to qualfy did. The guy you beat in round of 16 (there was only 16) and you get the guys that posted a time more than double all others qualifying. I got taken out by Chaput.

Here`s a clue to all about why ______ has such a thang for me...during practice, while some were attempting to practice and cone marshal. ______ kept taking run after run and would not lift a finger. Another person had made comment to ______ about his non=participation. His comment..."I don`t cone marshal". Well, again ______ had taken another run and knocked down some cones. I, at the time, was mid-course so I instinctively leaned over to pick up and reset a cone. Low and behold, ______ had just turned around and was barreling back through the course (the opposite direction) and as I was peplacicing the cone, he came up on me and screamed at me from behind.."WATCH IT!!!" which immediately drew a response from me..."QUIT BEING A DICK!!!".

So ______. as from am earlier perspective, you were a non-racer, but more than that, you ARE a DICK!!!

I don`t need anyone to back me up as I am not a POSER like you are. Name one podium win by you??? Awfully quiet there?? I`ve participated in events before you were even known, then you are known (for setting the lamest dick ass course EVER).

So get over it you KOOK!!! Maybe if you ever got laid, you`d be a real man...

Done fer now............

ed note: Please refrain from posts of this nature. Best Regards and Seasons Greetings. Thank you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Moderator on 2002-12-11 21:47 ]</font>

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:45 am

Dang! Thats some heavy shit! I say you guys duel it out at Da farm 03 and the loser buys beer for everyone and has to give the winner of the Henry J and Joe Iacovali grudge a hand job.
Anyway, John Gilmour , All the guys you mentioned Me, Noah, Curt, 13, etc are all gunning for YOU! You are now the prey, the fast little rabbit,and we are the fox pups getting stronger and ready to leave the den. So... Eat lots of ice cream and pancakes,surf the web at least 14 hours a day, be sure to avoide any physical activity outdoors(sex however is encouraged)and stay here in the Northeast. We'll see you in the spring.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:55 am

scabs...this is all of what your 4th post on this site and youa re already starting your complaining and whining?

What is this thing you have with "on my own dime". On EVERY post with you it is either..."Oh I was hanging with Alan G at Olliewood"..."Oh Florida has such nice weather"..."I went to races on my own dime". Do you think you are the only one who does that? What are guys like myself or wesley magically getting martians to pay our way to races? We all spend our OWN money to race so please drop it.

Wesley T. may like to type, he may have some ugly ass shirts and he may skate a style that only one other person currently does....but Wesley is a real guy and actually a pretty nice guy who loves slalom. At Morro 02 on Avila Beach when NO ONE ELSE wanted to conehead Wesley was there at the bottom picking up the mess. Each race is different and I know when I am in a zone and racing picking up cones is the last thing I will do so call me a dick to please.

Lets ride some of your courses. I didn't ride Wesley's but have ridden courses he has set and enjoyed them.

We don't care about who you know, where you live, what you injured or what you payed for. So just shut up.

Please leave your pathetic posts to ncdsa.com where youa re also NOT LIKED. Don't bring that trash here.

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:03 am

So Adam or his moderator removed all referamces to Wesley Tucker from my last post. Yet still my name still appears on his posts. But it`s not too far a stretch to see Wesley behind anothers apron.

And so much for Adam`s strong talk about freedom of speech. Especially since I had my name attached and not anon.

Weak...

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:06 am

I know John Gilmour, I live in Hampton BEACH,I have injured my wrists,I have payed for Verdone GERT's. (which by the way make me faster than william tway) . So there.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:06 am

Originally when Brady wrote this story, there was a line in there how everyone told him that if I was involved in the next Folly race, no one would come. Seems that little fabrication died a horrible death. The overall response I've heard and read about the event is that if only a fraction of the vibe from that weekend can be resurrected, everyone will do everything possible to be a part of it again. Who's right on this one? All I know is what I read in the papers. Brady's the one who alleges to have the real pulse of the slalom world. If anyone would know, it would be him . . . right?

Secondly, I did not come away from Folly with "some kind of thing" about Brady. I was just thoroughly disappointed and a bit disgusted at what a completely worthless skateboarder he is. When I decided Brady's mouth needed to be disciplined is when he decided he was in a position to dictate what I needed to do to satisfy his sense of what is and is not important for slalom. When he said in the comfort of his cave in South Florida that I had to travel to West Virginia for the good of the sport, that's when I took it upon myself to remove him from the company of good racing folk. He's still around, but it's still early.

This will all be settled whenever Brady shows his face in the same place I am. No words, no threats, no smack. Just me doing what's necessary to illustrate what a completely worthless posing keyboard-racing loser Brady Mitchell is. His delusions about his own importance and the validity of his meaningless opinions will only be dissipated by something other than words.

For those of you reading this who are feeling a bit of Deja vu, it is being repeated. This exact same exchange went on the NCDSA "events" page before and after the West Virginia race and the Grass Roots race in Mississippi. Fortunately for Brady, the entire exchange was deleted by Adam N and the whole issue faded. But whadda 'ya know, here it is again. I'm still skating, Brady's still posing and his visage is still facing a serious rearrangement. Some things never change.

Oh, last time there was some mention of how money would make things better. Make a bet and race. 'fraid not. I race against skateboarders, not pathetic posers who own a few fibreflexes and feel that justifies their petty existence and excrutiatingly abrasive opinions. Nope, nothing will be settled between the cones. Something, though, will be settled whenever Brady crawls out his hole and decides to mingle in the company of decent people and I happen to be there too.

P.S. This is the "dark side of the cone." I really would like to know how many of you are not coming to Folly because of me. If that's the case, I'll gladly step aside and Tasos can do it alone. Of course, since Gilmour's committed to Switzerland, he won't be there to defend his crown. (DIdn't anyone catch that Swiss schedule conflict?) But, hey, maybe that just means somebody else can win the Happy Gilmour checks?

Maybe even Brady Mitchell? . . . Nah, I don't think so.

P.P.S. I like my shirts. Do the initials "F.A.Y." ring any bells? If not, ask Chaput!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wesley Tucker on 2002-12-11 22:09 ]</font>

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:07 am

since this is smack talk....scabs show up to Da Farm 03 and actually race.

I got $50 on Wesley Tucker.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:11 am

Brady,

This is simple.

Your post was very harsh indeed and the liberty that I took to "edit" your post was based on not only my opinion but that of others.

As I have written before, anyone can search ALL of your posts very easily and see the tone and content that you post.

Yes, I believe in freedom of speach, I also now believe what people warned me about.

Take it easy will you? We are all trying to have some fun, try to run the course clean and not knock down too many cones.

You are welcome here but don't make a mess that you can't clean up.

Season's Greetings.
On 2002-12-11 22:03, Brady Mitchell wrote:
So Adam or his moderator removed all referamces to Wesley Tucker from my last post. Yet still my name still appears on his posts. But it`s not too far a stretch to see Wesley behind anothers apron.

And so much for Adam`s strong talk about freedom of speech. Especially since I had my name attached and not anon.

Weak...

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:13 am

Cool,
So now you want to join in Chris? At least get your facts straight as it was Wesley that started this. His posted with inuendos and so did I and he then took one step farther and used my name.

And I never posted here about OLLie and only a couple times at ncdsa. But I can`t blame your west coast brown nosed blindness. Yeah that`s right. You don`t like me because I called you on the truth...a team member shilling thier wares.

But more importantly, since when do you speak for all?

So who`s next?? Like I really care??