Slalom racing in inclement weather

Discussion Forum
Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:56 pm

Due to circumstances at a few recent slalom events, the subject of racing generally in inclement weather, and more specifically on wet surfaces has become a much-debated issue.

From my observations, there appear to be basically 2 opposing viewpoints on this issue:

A. Racing on wet roads is just plain stupid. It invites injury, damages equipment, and slows down the racing speeds/action considerably. The wet spectators are not entertained by watching a sporting event that is slow and cautious, rather than fast and exciting. A dry racing surface is not too much to ask for. Timing systems, computers, and radios malfunction much more often when wet. Falling on a wet surface limits your ability to delay/control the fall, since traction between the rider and the road is reduced.

B. Lots of people travel long distances and spend a lot of money to attend an event, only to have the event cancelled due to rain. It should be a matter of choice left to each individual racer as to whether he/she wants to race in wet conditions. If enough racers vote to run in the rain, then the race is held. Sponsors get what they paid for, and all of the spectators get to watch a slalom event. If you aren’t brave enough to race in the rain, go home. Falling on a wet road is safer than falling on a dry one, since the impact speed is lower, and the rider slides instead of grinding away pads, flesh, etc.

Personally, I believe premise #1, but I have tried to present the opposing viewpoint as best as I understand it.

Problems I perceive with premise #1:

1. Time is wasted; money is lost by canceling/rescheduling the slalom event.
2. It is inconvenient/impossible to schedule outdoor events around the weather.

Problems I perceive with premise #2:

1. Time and monetary investments take priority over safety.
2. Slalom starts to be perceived as an extreme sport.
3. Slalom racing sites will be chosen based upon their suitability to wet racing, so as to keep speeds slow in case the race has to be held in the rain.
4. Racers who have prepaid their entry fees might be forced to forfeit those fees if they decide not to race in the rain.
5. People are less likely to volunteer to cone marshall, and help with timing and record-keeping if they have to stand in the rain to do so.

I’m sure there are many other problems/issues that I have omitted. I would like to hear them; probably others would, too.

One idea I have come up with as a possible solution to this debate is:

1. Race organizers choose a primary, outdoor race site,and have in place a secondary, indoor location reserved as an inclement-weather racing site. The race is guaranteed to be held regardless of weather conditions.

Possible indoor sites could include:
-parking structures and garages
-shopping malls
-warehouses
-bus garages

Obviously, there is more work involved in finding and setting up a backup, indoor race site. This adds more responsibility and pressure on the race promoter, but it also gives him complete control over racing conditions, regardless of the weather.

On the other hand,to state that the race will be held "outdoors rain or shine", and then let the weather decide what type of event will be held, is certainly less work for the promoter. But,how many sponsors will want to subsidize an event where the type of race to be held is an unknown?

I don’t know what the solution to the wet slalom problem is. Does anyone have any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas that most racers would find acceptable?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevin M. Gamble on 2002-11-07 11:51 ]</font>

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:25 am

In deference to the recent WV race which I did not attend - I'll assume that it was safer than most surfaces when wet as there were no injuries. However whether or not someone gets hurt is more a statisical probability than a certainty at any event. Rain we can safely assume does not help the safety issue. I do hope that the WV race is not a precendent we continue to follow- try to avoid racing in the rain even if it means holding the race at an outlaw site instead a day later. Which is what I had planned for the July 4th race in the event of rain.

Racing in the rain isn't really an option as if the rain conditions were to change- qualifying might change- or some riders would not be presented with equal conditions. In a sport where .01 seconds can make a difference- it is something to consider. Of course rain often brings with it ...wind- but that is another matter.

I happen to like slalom events that have more than a single race on a single day. In a format where there are several events and a few "fun events" like a vintage race, Super longboard slalom, spec race, uphill slalom, or other entertaining varient such "fun events" can be cancelled if rain might forshorten an event. Ideally having several fun events over a two day period should give most enough window of opportunity to get an event completed even in the occurance of rain.

The Farm 1 had rain delays but finished- also the Farm 2 race had rain delays. Being somewhat flexible with the format helps...ie eliminating a large bracket in favor of a smaller one- or in pressing times resorting to qualifiers and proceeding to the next event.

Having a single day of racing with a huge bracket of duals - with the possibility of rain - invites races that do not get completed. I think that is something we should all try to avoid.

Even California isn't immune as we had rain and seepage during set up at the Battle by the Bay Hybrid, as well as a major downpour at La Costa 2001 so having all contests in California doesn't insure no rain delays.

All I can say for now... is thank God for expedia, orbitz and hotwire as they let you buy tickets nearly at the last minute without getting ridiculously expensive. As for myself I try to get as many "bump" tickets as possible and frequent flyer miles so I can book last minute for a small ticketing fee.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:51 pm

Kevin,

I don’t see how a compromise is possible. Just like there can’t be a partly wet pavement.
There are groups A and B.

It’d be interesting to vote on this issue online (with names disclosed) to see the size of the margin by which Group A wins over group B.

It makes me laugh when a parallel is drawn between slalom racing and auto racing. Like slalom is a huge sport and BIG money is talking. Give me a break! A couple of strong egos eager to race and win – that’s what does all the talking. Even those who hurt themselves don’t come out and say : it sucked! Oh, no - they probably are the first ones to thank the organizers instead! And we know why.

I love riding in the rain. Do it all the time. Good exercise for edge control. But promoting racing in the rain - never! Too much responsibility for a squid who thought he could do it and went down hard!

Racing in the rain “My A triple S!”. I’m used to saying it by now. Those who think likewise should learn the phrase.

Vlad.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:53 pm

Vlad,
I would be very interested to see a vote on this issue. But, I would wait until we can vote on it as members of the USSSF, thereby enabling the rules committee to standardize the procedures pertaining to inclement weather races. This is only 1 of many issues that needs to be addressed if we are going to grow the sport.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:54 pm

Kevin,
USSSF member vote will only be representative if the vast majority of skaters are USSSF members.

Racing under a cover is the best alternative, only the cover often is nowhere to be found. Some places are lucky to have one around. Others - are not. The promoters/organizers will probably be pushing their race site independently of the cover presence.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:33 pm

Personally I would not enter a race if the surface was wet such as during or after rain. The tunnel humidity on the Sunday race in Switzerland was on the limit, and still that was so little no humidity could be seen, but it was still felt.

I have raced on a completely wet surface at least once and personally I don't think it is worth the risk of accidents.

It is really sad when a contest has to be cancelled because of rain, but our sport is sensitive to that just like other sports may be for other conditions.

I have seen that some web sites in Switzerland sells rubber wheels which could potentially solve the problem, but do they really work?

Back in the 80's the Italians were always prepared for the worst and always brought wheels specially adapted for wet surfaces. Those wheels had (as far as I remember) cut-outs to allow the rain to channel through, kind of like on car tires. I don't know if they worked, but someone might like to try.

There are certainly solutions to running a contest in the rain, but in such cases, most likely the course will have to be set in an easier way to reduce the risk of uncontrollable slides and it would have to be slower, and most would not dare go full speed. So how much is such a victory worth?

Chris Chaput
Abec 11
Abec 11

Post by Chris Chaput » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:25 am

No one PREFERS racing in the rain to racing in the dry. I thought that racing in the rain would be dumb before WV. Having a vote on the subject without people getting a chance to experience what they are voting on would not be particularly productive.

The people who attended the WV race were divided into three groups.

1. Guys who raced.
2. Guys who didn't race but thought it was fine for those who chose to race.
3. Guys who didn't race and thought it was dumb to race.

I know who had the most fun and I know that the only reason that there WERE spectators is because there WAS a race.

No one is setting a precedent here and I might not race in a wet and slippery race. This event was better raced than cancelled.

There was better traction than at my local skatepart on 99a wheels. The only thing that I'd like to see in the future is a predetermined declaration from the promoter stating whether or not the race MAY be run in the event of rain. If the answer is no, it's no. If the answer is yes, it may still be cancelled if deemed too dangerous or inappropriate. If the answer is yes and the conditions were like WV, it's on.