Returning to the sport after 20+ years?

Discussion Forum
Will Lester

Returning to the sport after 20+ years?

Post by Will Lester » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:51 pm

Having been very active in the sport over 20 years I was quite happy to see the sport has made a resurgence. After speaking with Jack Smith and contacting Gary Fluitt over the past few days, 2 great guys I raced with and against in the 70's and early 80's at races in SLO, Morro Bay as well as 2 of the ARA races in the summer of 78.
I have an interest in returning to the sport which I loved so much. Though I have the same obligations as most of you, family, work, etc, can any of you in the SoCal community give some info on events or get togethers in the area so I can feel things out so-to-speak.

Thanx all,
Will Lester
Azusa, CA

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:37 pm

Will,

You're lucky. I had to look on my map to see where "Azusa" is, but it looks like you're in the middle of things.

The SSS crew practices somewhere around you. Steve Evans, Mike Maysey, The Carrascos, Barret Deck and I don't know who all else run cones on a regular basis. Rick Howell is making Ick Sticks in Cucamonga, Chicken is making Pocket Pistols in Hermosa Beach and Chaput is making wheels in Huntington Beach.

I gather from where you live you're pretty close to Altadena? There is a hill up near the JPL where Mike Gorman schedules a race occassionally. His JPL Outlaw events are from what I hear pretty gnarly racing on a good hill. Also, Dave Hackett and Steve Olson are putting on an Outlaw Series once a month down in Poway just north of San Diego. I guess from the map you're 3 or 4 hours away?

If I was you, I'd get in contact with Rick or Chicken and ask them for better contacts in So cal. Rick is at Icksticks@aol.com and Chicken at Pocketpistolsk8s@aol.com.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

The Return of Willie Lester

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:05 am

I was so stoked to find an email in my box the other day from Willie, I think my last contact with him was in the very early 80's.

Willie was a great racer, knocking off Dunn, myself and Fluitt at various races. His older brother Dave, who now heads up Quiksilver Wetsuits, was also a heck of a racer.

In the summer of '78 myself, the two Lesters and Fluitt piled in my '74 Mustang II, sans air-conditioning and drove 20 straight hours to the ARA race at Mom's Hill. Dave and I didn't make the cut in pro, I think Gary and Willie made it to the round of 16 in the AM.

Later that summer Willie and I flew to the Dillon race. We landed in Denver with our boards and pads and no clue how were going to get to the race. I was too young to rent a car so we resorted to hitchiking. Our last ride, given to us by this elderly gent, took us all the way to the top of the DH course, just in time to see Charlie Ransom have a run in with a car.

Those were some fun times, just as today's slalom scene is.

It's great to have you back Willie!

Will Lester

Post by Will Lester » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:14 am

Jack and I sat on an onramp for over 8 hours trying to get a ride to Dillon. What an adventure and great time.