ILSA World Longboard Championship 2004 - Revision of events

Discussion Forum
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

ILSA World Longboard Championship 2004 - Revision of events

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:47 am

Just in case anyone has missed it, Tasos Taigenides has altered and adjusted the event line up for the World Longboard Skateboard Championships in September:

There will be no Slalom.

Why this decision was made I do not know. The contest sign up, though, on NCDSA is quite specific in what the contest will and will not feature. It will be a street/freestyle event for longboards. That's all.

I'm not posting this to 'dis Tasos or his efforts. He's a great guy who put on a good show in 2002 despite adverse conditions. I must confess, though, that his contest this fall in San Diego holds nothing for me. I'm a skateboard racer. I don't ride bowls, do freestyle or practice high jumping. That's not what I do. All I want to do on my board is go fast down a hill. Fortunately I'm at an age when all I have to do on my skateboard is what I want to do. The only peer pressure I get nowadays is nasty e-mails from various assisted-living facilities!

I only post this (believe it or not) as a courtesy to my friend Tasos and those who are coordinating and promoting the event. (Mainly Deb Gordon and Michael Brooke.) I noticed on the sign up sheet a LOT of slalom skaters. Quite honestly, I don't know if John Gilmour or Chris Stepanek would participate in any other events at the contest than I would have.

So in an effort to spread the word about the new contest emphasis, I would ask that all those who were considering attending the event in order to RACE to please go over to NCDSA and remove your name. Again, this isn't to aggrevate or instigate anything with ILSA (hell, I'm the vice president,) but it is an effort to make sure Tasos and the other people involved have an accurate idea of how many will attend TO COMPETE.

Of course, if you want to pay the registration fee and go spectate, I'm sure T would gladly cash your check! Again, I WILL NOT TOLERATE anyone spreading the word that "Wesley's telling everyone not to go to the World's in San Diego!" That would be a bald-faced lie and purposefully spiteful. There are those of us, though, who slalom and would be wanting a race and Tasos is making it clear we won't find one on the weekend of September 17 2004 in San Diego.

Besides, I might end up going anyway just to see if Tasos decided to let his hair grow out while in the Mediterranean!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:56 am

Hey Wesley, I heard you're telling people not to go to the World's in San Diego.
What's up with that?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:42 am

Talk about trying to make it hard for me to defend my title.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:58 am

I dunno about the newer folks that signed up but maybe some of the older folks like me cannot delete thier names if thet`ve deleted any cookies lately.

Maybe you, Wesley, or Tasos should mass email to see if folks want to stay on the list. Then you guys can do the deleting with your passcode to the signup page.

You can drop me off it while you`re at it. (I should`ve told Tasos this in our recent email exchange)
Got ants?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:00 pm

I just registered again with (remove me) next to my name. Then all Tasos has to do is print out a sheet and cross off any doubles. He threw a fun event last time- even when almost blind!

I also know Tasos is a rational guy- so I think he has good judgement in not holding a slalom event this year. Likely he can't find a race venue that is appropriate- or up to good standards. In the case of not being able to find a good race venue, I think he did the right thing in canceling the race events.

When I was at the ASR show in San Diego- skateboarding was illegal. There was terriffic hill near the lamplight district- it is unlikely that the hill could be secured for a race.

Good luck Tasos! I'm sure you are doing the right thing.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour