Contest results 2003

Discussion Forum

How many skateboard slalom competitions did you enter in 2003?

None
15%
4%
4%
4%
23%
12%
4%
4%
No votes
>8
31%

Total votes: 26

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Contest results 2003

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:06 am

I N T R O

I thought it was easy to get hold of 2003 results from the previous season on our site. But when I started I soon realized it was a complete mess. They are spread all over the place if they exist at all. What competitions did go off last year? Many more than you think when you start to get them all collected in one place.

It's time to try and get this sorted out somehow. It should be easy to get hold of a result from any of the competitions during the season weather it is in USA, Europe or elsewhere in the world.

I will form this topic like the contest schedule 2004 topic. I will set up a post with all competitions with links to where results can be found. If a competition is missing or results are missing aso I hope race organizers and others with info will help out and I will update the main 2003 contest results topic accordingly.

The twist and driving force to get this together will not only be the joy of having one place where you can get hold of all results. The main force will be that the results officially posted here will be the base of a World Skateboard Slalom Ranking. That way it will be in the interest of both racers and organizers to make it get updated correctly.

I have done a try listing all the European competitions but I'm afraid some will be missing even there. I haven't even tried with USA or the rest of the world. A first step is already getting all the competitions listed themselves.

Whatever competition, small or big, is the goal.
<TABLE><TR ALIGN="center" BGCOLOR="silver"><TD Colspan="3">C O N T E S T - R E S U L T S - 2 0 0 3</TD></TR><TR><TD>January</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">24 Image </TD> <TD>Simi Valley, CA</TD> <TD><?></TD></TR><TR><TD>March</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">29 Image </TD> <TD>Lake Elsinore, CA</TD> <TD><?></TD></TR><TR><TD>April</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">12 Image </TD> <TD>Jackson, MS "Luna slalom jam"</TD> <TD><Slalom></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">12 Image </TD> <TD>Paso Robles, CA</TD> <TD><Cross></TD></TR><TR><TD>May</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">3 Image </TD> <TD>Gaithersburg, MD "Cyber slalom cup"</TD> <TD><Slalom></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">17 Image </TD> <TD>Albuquerque, NM</TD> <TD><Bank slalom></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">18 Image </TD> <TD>Lomas Xtreme, ???</TD> <TD><?></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">24 Image </TD> <TD>St.Louis, XX</TD> <TD><Slalom></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">24 Image </TD> <TD>Paris, FRA "World Cup"</TD> <TD><TS> <Special S> <GS></TD></TR><TR><TD>June</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">6 Image </TD> <TD>Breckenridge, CO "High Peaks Drifter"</TD> <TD><TS> <GS> <Cross></TD> </TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">15 Image </TD> <TD>Brands Hatch, UK</TD> <TD><Special S></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">21 Image </TD> <TD>Grüningen, SUI</TD> <TD><TS> <GS> pdf</TD></TR><TR><TD>July</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">19 Image </TD> <TD>Kaunertal, AUT</TD> <TD><GS></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">26 Image </TD> <TD>Eastbourne, UK</TD> <TD><?> </TD></TR><TR><TD>August</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">2 Image </TD> <TD>Vista, NY "Da'Farm 3.0"</TD> <TD><TS> <GS> </TD> </TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">9 Image </TD> <TD>Koln, GER "German Championships"</TD> <TD><TS men> <GS men> <GS boys> <Women> </TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">22 Image </TD> <TD>Lausanne, SUI</TD> <TD><?> </TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">30 Image </TD> <TD>Athens, GA "Georgia State Championships"</TD> <TD><Special S> <Straight S> </TD></TR><TR><TD>September</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">00 Image </TD> <TD>Weisbaden, GER</TD> <TD><?> </TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">7 Image </TD> <TD>Moscow, RUS</TD> <TD><?> </TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">13 Image </TD> <TD>Stockholm , SWE "Swedish Championships"</TD> <TD><Straight S> <Special S></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">20 Image </TD> <TD>Antibes, FRA "European Championships"</TD> <TD><Special S> <GS> <Super GS> </TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">26 Image </TD> <TD>Morro Bay, CA "World Championships"</TD> <TD><Cross> <Special S> <TS> </TD></TR><TR><TD>October</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">19 Image </TD> <TD>Fayetteville, WV "M State Slalom Skate"</TD> <TD><TS> <Special S> </TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">24 Image </TD> <TD>Ottawa, CAN</TD> <TD><?></TD></TR>
<TR><TD>November</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN="right">22 Image </TD> <TD>Surfrider Vintage Skate Day, VA</TD>
<TD><Slalom> <Bank slalom> </TD></TR></TABLE>
Last edited by Hans Koraeus on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:25 am

Paris and Koln fixed. Thanks for the Koln article link Chris.

Puh, this is more work than I thought. It will just have to take the time it takes. Have faith my friends.

RL

thanks so much for your work.

Post by RL » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:56 am

Corky, your effort has not gone unnoticed. I enjoy the International coverage very much.
That is why THIS slalom site is FAR superior.
Im sure that it is a tremendous amout of work. I'll keep checking back for updates.

Ric

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:10 pm

Brands Hatch and Grüningen fixed.

Note that for Grüningen there are some results still missing. Contact me if you have any additional info.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:53 pm

- World championships in Morro Bay added.
- Some other competition names added that I have heard about.

Blood, sweat and tears. Oh my God. What have I started here?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:48 am

Corky,
The results (not categorized) for Vintage Vans IV are in this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=12895#12895

Q

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:29 pm

Luna Slalom Jam '03, St. Louis 100 Cone, Kona Banked, Breckenridge '03, Da'Farm 3.0, and Georgia State Championship '03, can all be found at

http://www.68mm.com/rcr/contest.htm

Someday soon, I'll finish moving all my pics to 68mm.com, but for the near future, please refer to http://www.chasestreet.com/rcr for photos from the races listed above

Martin Siegrist
Airflow-Skateboards
Airflow-Skateboards

Hot Heels 2003 Giant Slalom

Post by Martin Siegrist » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:24 pm

The Giant Slalom was only a sideevent in the evening. We had a limited push start. There were some hot offsets. The pavement at Kaunertal is extremely slippery...

The results (I only know the first three places):

1. Chris Chaput* (abec11, big red X USA)
2. Raffael Schaffner (Airflow CH)
3. Martin Siegrist (Airflow CH)

*) using Raffael Schaffners Airflow raceboard with 3dm wheels!

Kaunertal is in Austria (A)

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:54 am

A bunch of new American competitions added. I have started to do my own result files for the disciplines. That way all results will have the same look and feel. This way they are also as clean and clear as possible.

I can't belive it. Like it wasn't hard enough as it was I now give myself even more job by creating own html files for the results. The crazy thing is I think it's kind of fun. Should I see a doctor?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:00 am

Hans Koraeus wrote:A bunch of new American competitions added. I have started to do my own result files for the disciplines. That way all results will have the same look and feel. This way they are also as clean and clear as possible.
I like the format I did for the WV October19th race better than what you changed it to. They were dual lane races, so the bracketting matters more than anything else. If you want text files that can be simply copied and pasted so that they show properly, I can send them to you in either html or BBCode formats.

Wes

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:53 pm

Wes, if you want to send your brackets as html I will put in them as well. It was just that it was impossible to see final placements for everyone in the excel version. This is one of the reasons why I started this topic in the first place because even if there are complete spreadsheets out there it's often hard to see the final complete order. Even in Dan's spreadsheets that have the order at the end of the elimination bracket it only shows placements for the people in the finals. Then you have to open up the qualifcation sheet to see the rest. And when Pro, Women, juniors are in a seperate spreadsheets for each discipline it gets very tiresome. I wanted a simple clean page for each discipline with complete placement lists for all the classes.

I agree that details are interesting but the objects seem to change over time. I see it something like this...

1. After that one competition you tend to want to see the details with all recorded times.
2. After a while when that competition is just one of many (this listing) the placements is often enough.
3. After a year it's nice to see ranking placements that include multiple races during the season.
4. After the years go by a world ranking spanning over several years is cool.
5. At this stage it would do just with a listing of all the competition winners of the year.
6. In the very end we will only list the yearly winners and runner-ups in the world ranking.

We are at step 3 right now with the FCR ranking and the likes. Step 4 is in the owen.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:36 pm

Nice work my friend.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:49 pm

The 2003 result table starts to look ok I guess even if it's not complete. This is not a big concern for anyone right now but I should maybe leak out some information about a new ISSA world ranking that is in progress and that this table will be the source for ranking points during the 2003 season. So if you find that some race results are missing here it's time to get going.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Head to Head Results

Post by Jack Smith » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:47 pm

Wow! This is great fun to look at, thanks for all the hard work.

I noticed in the Worlds and other head to head events that you have given each racer a final placing. In head to head events only the top four racers have actual placings. Racer's eliminated in the round of eight should all receive "equal 5th", eliminated in the round of sixteenshould all receive "equal 9th",and eliminated in the round of thirty-two should all receive "equal 17th".

Racers in these positions should not be ranked by their qualifying times or times they received in losing head to head races.

Thanks again Corky!

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:49 pm

Jack,

It seems like there are different theories about this...

1. The one you explain with some people having equal places after head to head races.
2. Those with equal places will get ranked according to best qualifying time.
3. Those with equal places will get ranked according to best head to head time.
4. Those with equal places will get ranked according to best time including both qualification and head to head runs.

As for now it's up to the organizer to decide. Since you are the organizer you decide.

I have ranked the skaters because that's how I will use the results in the World ranking. If they are ranked by the organizer I will use it. Otherwise I will use qualification times to separate them.

I will add the results as you want them if you like and then have mine as a special world ranking data document.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Rankings

Post by Jack Smith » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:25 am

Hello Corky,

It is unfair to rank racers other than the top four in head to head racing.

Qualifying times are just that...qualifying times.

Head to Head times don't work either because a faster racer will often go just fast enough to beat a slow racer.

Any head to head race that I organize will use the "equal placing system".

One again thanks for all your hard work.

Jack