Grüningen
46%
Paris
23%

Total votes: 13

Chris Linford

Portable sk8 start ramps

Post by Chris Linford » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:14 pm

Are there any plans for a starting ramp that is transportable?

Please submit to me if possible

Cheers

Chris

ukssa@dot-com.org.uk

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:44 pm

Chris,

I don't what if anything has become of the project, but Kevin Gamble and Geezer-X were discussing a rather intelligent design for a portable ramp this past summer at 'Da Farm race in New York.

It involed a small trailer, two ramps side by side down the length of the trailer and fold-up ramps that came down over the side.

Kevin's layout of the design was very well executed and the whole thing could probably be built for less than $500 plus the cost of whatever trailer you could find as a chassis. It involved welding, cutting, nuts and bolts and some other hardware. Again, KMG designed it and Eric said he was capable of constructing it pending time and money.

Perhaps you should contact Kevin directly and see where he is with any updates or availability of the design?

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:02 pm

S-shaped start ramps are the best if they are not too tight. The one that seemed the best last year was the German one used at the German championships in Köln. I was never there though and haven't tried it but Jani was very happy with that one.

More important for me is a good starting system for head to head starts. Let's see an end to rubberbands an the like this year. The system used at Paris World Cup 2003 is by far the best solution I think. No ports or rubberbands. A simple start line trigger on the ramp. This takes false starts down to the 100:th of a second.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:46 pm

We made a starting ramp ourselves. It's similar to the ones in Grüningen, just a bit higher. (It's about 120cm. The Grüningen ramps are 1m, I think) We have less than half a minute to put it together, so that's great!

rmn
Last edited by Ramón Königshausen on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:16 pm

I haven't used any of the start ramps that are up for vote. I'll go with what Corky says here. S-shaped ramps are the best. A start strip that can detect false starts affixed to the top of the ramp is safe and effective.

Will J
Will J
Will J

Post by Will J » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:55 pm

here's a pic of our (MS.GRS) ramps.. S shaped with not too much curve, both fit on a trailer usualy used for lawn equipment. they come apart at the begining of the tranny, VERY solid, and not heavey at all(only takes 2 to carry b/c of bulk, notice cut-out handles)

built by byrd

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a
smile and a gun."

- Al Capone

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Post by Gary Fluitt » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:49 am

We use the "Byrd design" ramps here in the center of the slalom universe (Colorado). George Myler built them for us and we've used the hell out of them almost every summer weekend. They are currently on my little 5'x8' trailer, which is no small puzzle.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Byrddog Design

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:06 am

Thanks for posting the picture Will.

Glad they are working out for you Gary. I'm just now starting to feel ours loosen up a bit. I'm going to add a few more screws, a few cross members on the inside to place sand bags on (thanks Will) and add levelers on the rear corners of the platform to adjust for a less than perfect road surface, all before LSJ '04

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Post by Gary Fluitt » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:56 am

Ricky-
The only improvements I could recommend is a couple of latches on the side of the ramp to connect the S-curve to the platform section. Groveling under the ramp to bolt the sections together is kind of a drag. I don't know if a latch on the side would be strong enough to keep the sections together for a strong puller. We've got a guy out here, Pirnack, that practically tears the verticals off the ramps when he pulls, so we'll test out the latch idea and let you know how it works.
I agree some of those leveler feet on on the back of the platform would be a good addition.

Nick Krest

Post by Nick Krest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:10 am

Gary Fluitt wrote:a couple of latches on the side of the ramp to connect the S-curve to the platform section. Groveling under the ramp to bolt the sections together is kind of a drag.
Use Dzus fasteners. 1/4 turn latches. Strong enough to keep the hood on a Funny Car at 300+ MPH. Definitely strong enough to keep those 2 sections together.

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:06 pm

Going in the hole is not nice on a hot summer day. I understand, been there, as has all the RKR crew. It's hot and confining.

Would the pull uprights need to be moved back to make room for the latches? They are off the side surface by 1/2" as they are but still may be in the way. I'd hate to move them back, this would shorten the room on the platform for the racer to pump up before the pull.

Gary, Tell Plunkett (if you see him) he best have his azz in Jackson, MS on April 17th!