I Can't Take It Anymore.....

Discussion Forum
Brian Morris

I Can't Take It Anymore.....

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:14 am

Well, after a short lived retirement from skateboarding, I think I'm going to come back. The knee and leg is still shot to hell, but I am going to use my winter to do some training and fix my knee up good. Any words of encouragement or advice??

TheBrain
Wobbler

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:19 am

Go speedracer. Go.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:27 am

Thanks Vlad.....
Wobbler

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:49 am

Make an appointment with your doctor. Physical therapy is the best way to fix this kind of thing and the doc can perscribe more if you need it. Even if you don’t plan to ever ride a skateboard again, it’s all-around better to have full movement and strength rather than a limp. Try a different physical therapist if you prefer. When I broke my ankle while skateboarding, I did not want to skateboard ever again. I was, however, determined to not be limited in what I could and couldn't do. After therapy and training, I have better movement and strength than before. It can be the same for you.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:12 pm

Brian,

I agree with WesE. If you haven't already seen a MD about the knee then you should so your injury can be evaluated. My sister-in-law tore her knee you pretty bad awhile back. When she went to the doctor she discovered that the problem she had required surgery. She had the surgery done and now she is good as new. Matter of fact she is a very avid runner and she ran several marathons this year.

Take care of the knee and get back to skating!

David "davmo" Morris

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Brian's Knee

Post by Robert Sydia » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:54 pm

Hey Brian:

I have had 5 orthoscopic (sp??) surgeries on my kness as well as my right ACL completely replaced. So I have seen it all when it comes to knees.

My best recommendation is search out an orthpod that specializes in elite athletes. I find their approaches and methods are greared to fixing the problem properly and getting you back quickly. I was riding a road bike 3-4 weeks post surgury after having a fake ACL installed.

I find the best sports doctors for knees are ones who have worked with national ski teams, pro hockey teams and/or soccar/football teams - high incident of knee and leg injuries.

Ask the questions up front - what methods do they use, the rehab program, the recovery times, etc. If you do not like what they said - go to another doctor - do NOT accept anything you are not comfortable with.

I am almost 40 now and both knees/legs are working great - so you should be fine and ready to race with the right doctor.

To bad you are not in Toronto - I could recommend you to 2 -3 excellent doctors for your problems.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:02 pm

The thing is, I have already seen the doctor because the knee problem came after the femur break. I went through my physical theropy already, and its run out not because the doctor won't give it to me but because my insurance company won't let me have any more because I recovered so quickly after my femur surgery. So for me to get anything done, I have to do it myself.

TheBrain
Wobbler

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Brian - Specific Problems

Post by Robert Sydia » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:56 pm

Brian:

What are your problems specifically??

I know of a number of slightly non-published cures that might help, but it depends on the injuries.

What types of therapy were you receiving??

Thanks

Rob

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:29 pm

Brian Morris wrote:I went through my physical theropy already, and its run out not because the doctor won't give it to me but because my insurance company won't let me have any more...
That is why I suggested seeing the doctor again. Explain to the doc that you don't have full movement and the doc will at least advise something. If people in the know are telling you that there is no chance that the insurance company will cover any more physical therapy (check with the therapist again too), then I suggest continuing what the therapist already instructed. I personally think that swimming laps is best for recovery after broken bones, with the act of floating on one's back and kicking for propulsion as the absolute for a leg/foot injury.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Brian Morris

Re: Brian - Specific Problems

Post by Brian Morris » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:29 pm

Robert Sydia wrote:Brian:

What are your problems specifically??

I know of a number of slightly non-published cures that might help, but it depends on the injuries.

What types of therapy were you receiving??

Thanks

Rob
I have crepatus pretty bad, besides from chondromalasia in my knee cap. The doc pretty much told me I can't take any more hits to the knee cap and that general area because I would need a knee replacement right away. For theropy, i was mostly doing excercises to restore the quad muscles from the trama of the femur break, plus the deteriation of all the time i spent laying in bed after the surgery.

I have full movement in my knee, its just the pain of the knee cap grinding around in there thats killing me. And its not the actual act of slalom skateboarding (ie pumping) that is giving me problems, its mainly the kick starting, foot breaking to stop, and falling.

I have seen the doctor several times, but the problem with that as well is my ortho doc wasn't in my insurance plan, and i didn't get a choice of doctors either because I came into the hosiptal by ambulance. I'm pretty much screwed with all of it because of the insurance company.

TheBrain
Wobbler

Mike McLaren

Post by Mike McLaren » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:57 am

I agree with comments above about seeing a Dr and another recommendation is get yourself a set of Pain-Cheater knee pads. Let me give some background as to why I say this.
I started skating at the age of 41 (last August). The previous year (2 years ago) my knee was hurting me so badly skiing that I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to ski last year. I did not have a chance to find out. Two months after starting to skate, I took a fall and bruised a bursa(sp?) sack and had the knee checked out (I was wearing a general public available pad that I won't mention). Dr. told me the bursa sack was the least of my problems. I Pole-vaulted thru college and was told several times to have surgery on my knee for a misalligned pattella back than. It dislocated several times (6X), had several tears on the interior tendon, once the bone even chipped away and chaumdirlatia (sp?) so bad that as I ran the patella would bounce up and out of track.
Well after over 20 years of wear and tear (I stopped running after college, but was an avid skier/athlete), the damage was so severe, a major reconstruction was the only option. They did a lateral release (which if I had done surgery 20 years ago that is all they would have done to correct the problem), shaved the outter bone of the knee off, cut the interior tendon and folded it over to shorten it, relocated the lower pattella tendon and cleaned up as much arthritis as possible. 7 weeks in a straight leg cast/brace to allow the tendons to heal before ANY flexion.

Good news is 4.5 months after the knife (10 inch scar interior, 3 orthos on the exterior), I started slaloming and pedalling (bad knee on board-which allowed me to do mini squats), 6 months after surgery in the pools. This was after an intense PT program to regain flex and then some strength.

BUT I started skating again only because I got myself new knee pads. Kevin Day builds these pads by hand to your specifications. Heavy duty, with gel and for me he made knee cap holes of 2 different sizes to accomodate each knee cap.

My boys skate in Pro Designed pads and I believe very strongly the boys are in far superior pads than anyother pads available to the general public, but for individuals such as you and I, I put my knees into Pain Cheaters simply because of the knee cap hole, beefyness and gel packs.

Sorry for the rambling (and I don't write very often on any websites) but your problems sound a lot like what I have dealt with.

A lateral release and cleaning up the chaumdirlatia (sp?) is a pretty simple procedure anymore. This may or may not help you, I am not a Dr, but if your having similar problems as me, this is in and out and back to working it out pretty quickly (7-10 days I believe). And the Pain Cheaters regardless. Other line of thought is if it is not that bad build the OM quad and the rest of the quads as much as possible and have your body pull the patella back into position naturally.

If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to email you or talk to you in more detail. michealmclaren@cs.com (it is EA in micheal)

PainCheaters.com-I believe or I have Kevin Day's phone number. Let Kevin know I sent you, I would appreciate it as I will be buying anoher pair in the years to come.

NO squats, NO 90 degree leg extensions (only 15-20 degrees), watch any movement of the knee while weight bearing past the 20 degrees-use static weight training past this point.