Freestyle to Longboarding/slalom

Discussion Forum
Hunter Singleton

Freestyle to Longboarding/slalom

Post by Hunter Singleton » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:36 pm

Nowadays, when people think of skateboarding, they think of the x games and Tony Hawk.(sorry espn and the birdman) I used to freestlye skateboard and i sucked big time. One day my trucks were really loose so i carved up my street! Then i knew longboarding was for me, and i bought a longboard, and eventually a slalom. There are tons of more places to ride, it's not as destructive, the people are nicer, and it is jst franly more fun than sitting around trying to kickflip! I think we should spread the world of old school to everyone. Take a friend to ride with you that dosent slalom, etc. I am likely the youngest long/slalomboarder in my city!(i'm 12) most of the guys I skate with are 30+. After 6 months of my new found sport i have gotten 2 of my 12 year old friends to get slalom and longboards! so go and spread the word!!!!!!

P.S. I'm not saying trick skating sucks!
Last edited by Hunter Singleton on Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:43 pm

Hunter,
I've got a deal for you. I'm going to send you a free set of 100mm G*Trucks . These trucks will be very good for your weight and size for you and your younger friends.

And if you take these trucks and build or get a solid wood deck (maybe out of oak or something, 3/4" plywood would be fine too as long as it is not twisted/warped) of about 28" with a 17" wheelbase exactly no more and put these trucks on it. Then take a couple of pictures of the board you made and a couple more pictures of you and your 12yo friends running cones(or even doubled up plastic Solo cups, whatever) with the board you made that we can post here. Then I'll send you another set for FREE and I'll pay for shipping again too! Hows that?

Send me a PM with your address if your up for the deal. Either way the first set is free too and yours to keep even if you don't take my offer for another set.
Last edited by Glenn S on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Clement

Post by Ted Clement » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:20 am

Hunter,

That is great news, don't give up other forms of skateboarding though, try and be well rounded and influenced by everybody.

My nephew is 14, he is a street skater, I try and get him to go longboarding, do slalom or even rollerblade with me, he'll have no part of it, I guess I'm just not cool enough.

Keep it up kid, your pretty cool!

Ted

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:33 am

...Glenn, way cool my sycophant friend. I think HG can give details of those rubber stopper bushings that he has dialed in for lighter weight riders. I've got some for my 50lb Elijah so he can make good turns.

Hunter, you are in good company and Ted also has good words, all around skateboarding is good.

Wear a helmet.

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:04 am

should i just use normal leater gloves to slide, or should i get special 1's

Helmetses are goodses

David Morris

Post by David Morris » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:53 pm

Hunter,

I see that you are a fellow Virginia native. If you didn't already know here in Virginia there are quite a few Slalom Skateboarders and guys who ride and do the same on longboards. There is a lot of Slalom action in the Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland areas (DC Outlaws) and they have races many times a year.

Make sure you tell your mom or dad that this coming spring (2004) there will be what we call the "Gathering" and its a whole weekend of fun, Slalom Racing, and bacially getting to hang out with some of the coolest skaters in the world.

You can see the info about "The 4th gathering: Peace, Love and Pavement" on the contest announcements.

I will copy and paste it here to make it a little easier:

The 4th Gathering: Peace, Love and Pavement
May 1 and 2, 2004
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
Organized by U.S. Slalom Skateboarding Federation

My two sons Evan (now 12) and Aaron (now 14) and my wife and I went to the last gathering and we all had a blast. There were a few other young skaters (Katii Campbell, and others) too! I am now starting to see more new faces and younger kids starting to ride slalom every time I go to an event.

Make sure you tell your racing buddies in Lynchburg about it too.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

correction

Post by Andy Bittner » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:30 am

So as to NOT perpetuate an error on the contest listing page, by cutting and pasting it here...

To be clear... there will be NO slalom-cross at The 4th Gathering, nor will there be a Super G. Anyone who has been to the gathering site knows we don't have a hill big enough to accomodate any of the major speed disciplines. The line in the listing of The 4th Gathering: Peace, Love and Pavement that says something about a slalom cross + a GS or Super G is something that Jani must've inadvertantly inserted into my copy.

I've asked for a correction on the Contest Page.

< Ed note: Contest calendar and post above corrected. My copy/paste mistake. /Jani >