Any Slalom Riders in Milwaukee, WI?

Discussion Forum
Brad Odland

Any Slalom Riders in Milwaukee, WI?

Post by Brad Odland » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:21 pm

I am out in Waukesha and I am wondering if I am the only 40 year old still skating in Wisconsin?

Also if there are any folks interested in setting up a course and running some cones together.

I set a small one up the other day at Horeb skate park in Waukesha. The kids have been used to me buzzing around the 1/4 pipes on my Vintage Hobie Flex Slalom Cutaway. So I set a small course of pop cans. The kids instantly started going around them. Frustrated, they then ollied on the cans and smashed them. (Kind of funny...actually)

Finally some kids wanted to see how it is done and we ran the very small course for 20 minutes.

Drop a note here.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:52 pm

Welcome to skateboard slalom Brad. There are lot's of areas that have only a single enthusiast in hundreds of square miles. Here in Phoenix, the sixth largest city in the USA, I think there are fewer than 5 of us here that run cones with ANY regularity.

Get some cones from a online store and a stopwatch and keep coming back here and at http://www.ncdsa.com and ask questions and participate online. Perhaps you will find a place or group close by to race with or even travel to a race.

Good to see you here.

adam

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:45 am

Brad
I'm just south of Monroe,WI in Illinois and since my sister lives in Mukwonago I get over that way 5-6 times a year. I'm just getting a board together and hopefully will be cutting some cones after I get back from vaction in 2-3 weeks. If you plan something post it here and I'll see if an old skating buddy is up for it. Thanks Tod

RL

MILWAUKEE

Post by RL » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:33 am

Hey Brad, yes there are 5-6 of us here on the south side.
All pretty close to 40. Yikes. Only been skatin a few times this season. I ruptured a disk in my back. getting slightly better. Ran some cones last week w/ a buddy from Hawaii and a local, they're quite good. Im only fair.
BTW i grew up in Waukesha.
Ric
lakesurfer@earthlink.net

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Milwaukee Session?

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:13 pm

Ric,
Good to see someone relatively close posting here! Do you guys get together often? I'm 41, got the bad back going on along with two teenage daughters that keep the stress level pegged, but I love em dearly! anyway the last couple months slaloming has really been great fun for me. There have been 2 skateparks built within 15 miles of me and I've been trying to get some of the kick flippers to give slalom a try, no luck yet.
I see you grew up in Waukesha, my sisters inlaws are there.
If you guys get together let me know when and where. I'll tie a visit to my sis in Mukwonago into the travels.
Hoping you heal up! Tod

RL

Post by RL » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:49 pm

Tod, never any formal sessions. Ususally spur of the moment nice day type stuff.
keep my e-mail listed in privious post and let me know when your commin up. Maybe the guys can set some cones and complain about our ache's and pains.
Where in the hell is Orangeville?
I surf down in Zion area a few times a year.
Good to hear from you.
Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Sore!!!

Post by Tod Oles » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:34 am

Ric, Orangeville is the epicenter of slalom skateboarding as "I"know it!
Seriously, I did a 2hr. cyberslalom training session today, you know all the obligatory truck and wheel adjustments that you think will get you faster,but only open Pandoras' box even farther. All it really did was make me sore. Fun non the less. I'll keep your e-mail in the address book. Thanks for the response and have a good week, Tod

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:05 pm

Ric,

I was curious if there were any indoor venues up your way for some winter slalom sessions? I "had" a line on a nice warehouse down here
but it's recently been rented,(heavy sigh). I'm putting one of those
Roe S-cambers together in the next couple weeks and was hoping to get some time on it this winter so as not to start cold on it next year.
Was that a pun?

Anyhows, I'm looking for another place but if I don't have any luck I'm willing to travel.

Skating inside would be better than the snow skiing around here the last couple of years. (another sigh) Thanks, Tod

RL

indoor

Post by RL » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:47 pm

Tod, Ive been think about that also. I do have access to an indoor condo parking lot where Ive done some work. It would have to be daytime stelth.
Im also going to pick up an Roe S Camber. Lets keep in touch.
Ric
aka, single fin on NCDSA
I much prefer this site however.
Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:37 am

I favor this site also!

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to communicating by computer let alone trying to do it over there.

As far as the S-camber I'm going to order a "stiff" get a set of Seismics, 105s w/the real soft springs, and Cambrias for wheels. Then set some more tight flat courses, like I have been for a while now, and just keep working on my agility and technique.

What types of setups do you ride? Courses- TS GS? definitely let me know how you set your S-camber up.

Thanks-Tod

RL

runnin cones in Milw.

Post by RL » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:16 am

Tod, I have been riding a Fibreflex GS lite w/ Tracker TRX and Abec 11 stingers. I set 6' cones on medium grade hills.
I also would like to run tighter courses.
I was getting fairly good on that deck last summer when I broke my thumb skating the 1 month later I ruptured a desk in my back at work.
So Is been a slow road back. Ive surfed maybe 10 times this year all GL (no travel) Drag, Ive skated cones 5-6 times this year.
So Im on my way back.
I'll get a Roe S Camber w/ RTX/S and cambiras. Im not getting younger 38 but I am getting leaner 155 so Im gonna get a Medium.
Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:41 am

Ric, I'm 41- 6'1" 195lbs. (and then some), and my wife's a fantastic cook! thats why I'm getting a stiff. Heck, I may be putting I-beams under my decks by next spring...

I was thinking about getting Trackers also and trying some Noskoolz (centerset bearings) for an effectively narrower setup. I love the Seismics
though! really responsive, but a "real" skater needs to have grommets in the quiver too. lol
Hey, I gotta hear more about the local surfing seen.

Cheers, and keep that back healthy, Tod

RL

chicago slalom

Post by RL » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:40 am

Tod, have you met up w/ the guys in the city?
There is a guy goes by C-Money I think and a guy name alan I think races pro class. Go to the Chicago Grassroots slalom link. I used to be on his e-mail list. their is a group that goes out to the west side and North side. I wanted to hook up with them, but got injured. I didnt skate much till late summer and fall.
The Back is somewhat better but, I have this damn siatic nerve pain down my leg and calf. Slalom dosent seem to affect it. But I sure dont want to fall. Gotta buy more pads anyway. I did break out the flyaway helmet though.
Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:46 am

Ric,

I haven't met one soul in person who slaloms. I'm it! Man, I gotta get out more!
A street skater I met from Rockford, IL said he met a few "oldschool" guys at one of the skateparks in Chicago and said that they were into racing (long boards) if I remember right. he didn't drop any names.
I'd sure like to get together with anyone besides my stopwatch. I'll definitely check that Chicago GRS link out.

I saw your posts on the fiberflex thread, I hope they can make a go of it.
I learned how to pump on a 1975? teamrider. I'd buy one for sure if I knew it'd be stiff enough. I like that G/S lite shape too.

Went to the public skatepark in Freeport, IL right after work tonite with the slalom stick and carved up the bowl and these cool little wave banks around the perimeter of the street props. The 80a Avalons are dead slow on perfect concrete.
I guess its time for another 1/2 pipe rig!
I'm ordering the S-camber tomorrow I'll let you know how I like it, probably 2 weeks.

Later, Tod

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:33 am

Ric,

Did you ever get a hold of an S-camber? I received mine yesterday.

Great time of year for a new board:-(

I ordered it stiff in the Crossfire shape (8.25in wide) and I was thinking Seismic 105s and Avalons would be to wide, but it looks good. I'd posted
before that I was thinking about Trackers, but using what I'm accustom to on this shorter wheelbase is probably the way to go until I can demo some different equipment.

There is alot of room on the tail of this deck. Actually a wider tail than my PS Unlimited. Can't wait for a street to clear up in town to ride it!

Tod

RL

any day now

Post by RL » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:05 am

Tod,
Steve from Roe just mail mine friday. so next week I'll get mine.
I had it custom made for my weight. Less glass i guess. Im 160 lbs.
Im gonna run RTX customsed by Geezer x .
I love My Tracker RTx on my GS lite. Gotta get new wheels. Im done w/ abec 11 for slalom.
Either 3dm or the Manx (?) wheels I weight till spring.
If its nice out I set up my S.Cam and run it with some of my old gear. If not (snow) I'll get it all set up w/ new gear by spring.
Im stoked.

Glad you like your deck. How far are you from Milwaukee?
Ive had 3 other guys contact me. Plus you makes 4 and we have 5 guys here and there are about 5 guys in Chicago I guess. Wow looks like we could get a scene going here in the upper midwest.

Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:31 pm

Ric

It's about 2.5 hrs to down town Milwaukee from here.

Which shape in the S-cam did you order?

Hey, the 3dm wheels are a must. I use the 80a Avalons for the type of blacktop we have around here (limestone based) and they are so grippy yet predictable. They send a little signal when they've had enough, and
are about to break loose. The 75a Avalons I've tried(rear only) weren't as
forgiving and they were slower. On this type surface anyway, unreal grip
though! I'll definitely be "amassing" more 3dm wheels.
I would like to try the MANX wheels too. I'm by no means a brand
loyalist. Just want to go faster if it's possible. I may have to get my talent level Geezer-Xed 1st. lol

I e-mailed Mr. Wallgren about some Trackers last week, but I've balked.
I must admit they look great, but since I've returned to skating, Seismics are all I've used. I am getting closer to dropping the coin for a different setup to try though.
I've heard nothing but praise about Eric's work, both publicly and privately.

Later, Tod

RL

S. Cam

Post by RL » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:43 pm

Tod
I ordered the cutaway shape. im a small guy 5-9" 160lbs and size 8 shoe.
I sure im gonna love it as long as its not to stiff.
Did you have to adjust to the camber?
Have you had to change your foot placement?

Wheels. I have only used abec 11 so far. I have Stingers (had probs. w/ 2 sets) and Flashbacks. I have spent most of my slalom time on the smaller Stingers 63's.
Do you like the larger wheel? Arent the Avalons 70's?

I'm no jock by ant means, but I am a closet packer fan. Watching the game now 17-3 at the half.

I just watched the 1977 Catalina slalom clasic

later Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:05 am

Ric
I could describe our whole family as, "In your freakin face Packer fans"

This little town I live in of 780 people are about 50% Bear fans and 50%
Packer fans. Makes Sunday Thee day of the week down at the
two taverns in town! After Church of course.

I have yet to poke holes through the grip tape on the S-cam (SNOW) :-(
I'm still looking for an indoor place to practice.
I'm going to make up my mind this coming week on what to set it up with
(I've been pretty wishy washy) and hopefully the folks at the local roller rink will let me practice the nights they open it up to street skaters. better than nothin...

As far as the Avalons go they're 68mm tall and I run 9/16" risers w/ the seismics and have no wheelbite at all. I'm no expert but you being 160lbs
could probably get away with the 75-78a as you're not going to compress
the contact patch as much as me at 195lbs. Go to harder duros the smaller the wheel. I'm slowly learning to run the hardest wheel I can get away with. It has improved my cyber times. What kind of surface do you usually practice on?

I'll let you know what I spill my wallet for later this week. GO PACK

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:56 am

Ric,

Hope you all had a good holiday!

Had a couple of decent days this past week to run my S-cam. I love it!
I set it up with 105 Seismics and harder cambrias for some straight 5-6ft cones. I felt pretty fast, but I could not keep my front foot from creeping up the nose of the deck.

I've found that putting the ball of my rear foot right in the middle of the rear baseplate works best for me. I've got the Crossfire shape and the tail is nice and full for my size 11 shoe. That and the way the "S" cants upward to kind of place my foot against makes putting the power to this deck seem easy. Although the added leverage is the cause of my front foot creeping. I'm ordering a toe stop this week. A "TnR" they're super ajustable.

Also picked up a set of 106 Rtx/Rts Trackers. Seems like I need to learn how to skateboard all over again using them. Very different feel compared to Seismics. I got spoiled by the way the Seismics worked for me right out of the box.
Guess I've found a winter project in tuning the Trackers to my liking, I'm going to have to learn all that bushing "voodoo" I guess:-)

40 degree weather this weekend should bring abit more skating time. Have fun! Tod
Last edited by Tod Oles on Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

RL

s cam and RTX

Post by RL » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:15 am

Tod, i noticed the same thing as I rode mine today for the 1st time. That front foot does creep up. Let me know what ou use as a toe stop.
I havent tried Seismic trucks. what are they like?
I didnt think much of the RTX intill I changed the bushings. I went to a bones blue and It was great. they are so loose and return so well. I cant wait to really set them up good w/ Radikal bushings and get them to Gezzer. . My buddy Glenn swears by Tracker Stims but their to pricey and impossible to find the soft yellows. Besides most everyone is saying the Radikals are the best ever.
I think my RTX/S are to wide for my Roe S Cam Im going to 95 or 100mm.
I like the 106 on my Fibreflex GS board.

What are you using Avalons or Cambrias? any wheel bite?

We should take this to the private message board, hey??

Ric

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:35 am

Ric

I edited my last post while you responded, sorry.

You really should consider a Seismic, if only for the front. Super precise
compared to traditional style truck. I really feel as though I've gone backwards trying the Trackers. But I'll take the time to sort them to work for me, I'll even throw a trip to Geezer at them if need be.

Never tried the private message feature. Tod