Repair Advice Requested

Turner Summer Ski Slalom Boards

Moderators: Peggy Turner, Christopher Bara

Marty Agather

Repair Advice Requested

Post by Marty Agather » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:40 pm

I just received a slightly used Full Nose, circa 2003. It's got a bit of nose damage that appears as tho it could be a point of concern if not addressed at some point. At present it does not appear to be structural as it stops at least two inches forward of the front bolts of the front truck, so the riding stresses should be minimal.

It took a curb strike which has separated the top and bottoom skin for about an iinch and a half back from the point of the nose on each side. My source told me to take it to a surf board shop, but since I'm in the midwest, we don't have too many of those in the neighborhood.

Is this something I can fix myself, or should I send it off, and if sending, to where? I'll probably plasti-dip the nose after fixing for preventative measures, so I'm not really concerned about a perfect repair.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Thanks, Marty

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:49 pm

how about a fiberglass boat or canoe shop?

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:12 am

I've been told the rule of thumbs is this....if you knock on it and it still sound solid, like a 2 X 4, then it's still ok....if you knock on it and it sounds like a "thud" then it's a wall hanger...

Actually, if you wanted to go all out, you could probably pick up the name of a good surf shop from here or NCDSA....... if not, an autobody shop that specializes in vettes should be able to help you...i had a nose rebuilt for a Seaflex Foamcore once...entirely out of resin...yours should be allot easier than that, since the shape is still there

Unless your skilled with fiberglass repair, you should probably leave it for a pro

post a pic

hey Joe!.....how are ya?

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:22 pm

Joe,

Yes, as a resident of the state with oh so many lakes, I can probably find a boat repair place pretty easily. I did do a pretty poor job of describing the injury tho. So how about if I try again:

Even tho the crack is hairline- essentially where the sidewall meets the bottom of the board, in most likely where the two reinforcing cloths meet, my concern is that perhaps the bond between foam core and laminate may be affected. My overly cautious self says that the repair method would be to inject resin (using a hypodermic needle or similar tool) into the crack and apply clamps to bond the foam to the skin if indeed there was delam occuring. What concerns me is that there is a bit of flex in the lower skin.

One of the other posts in the forum entitled "My Turner " or some such refers to a catastrophic failure right thru the front truck and Wes Carpenter was inferring that perhaps there was some fancy resin that was originally used.

Next post with images.

Chris:

Took my trucks off the 70's cutaway and did your knuckle test. Sounds good all around, it was too hard to distinquish the difference in sound due to damping due to trucks and pads. Those resin flakes have me spooked tho, and so I've retired it. Thus the new board and this thread.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:56 pm

Note the hairline crack, and the dark spot at about 3/4 inch where the gap is a bit wider. When I push up on the bottom middle of the nose, an inch back, I can get this crack to open up to 1/32" or so back at about the 2 1/2" mark.

This is the bottom, note the stress in the gel coat running vertically in this picture. Obviously took some force in the impact. Note that this picture probably represents the first 3 1/2 inches of the nose, and that the those stress marks extend 1 1/2 inch from tip of nose max. Front of truck is 4 1/4 inches from tip of nose.

So am I getting excited over nothing or is this something I should send out for repair?

It should be noted that I've got a Phd in glueology - once superglued a wound in college that I probably should have gotten stitched - "Hey if the doctors use Cyanoacrylate to close skin, so can I...." Details at 11:00 (over beer at a race someday!) - so I'm not afraid of mixing up some resin and making a repair. Hell, I've got 3 or 4 different types of epoxy floating around the house right now. I just don't want to use the wrong stuff, and if this uses some super hi tech adhesive that I won't have access to, then it makes sense to me to have somebody get it right.

I've got a wall hanger, I want a race board! <g>

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:08 am

That doesnt look too bad Marty.....boat shop for sure.....