[2010] World Ranking, Dues, Membership And Race Sanctions

Archive of older ISSA topics

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Jonathan Harms

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

[2010] World Ranking, Dues, Membership And Race Sanctions

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Two quick items to update concerning the 2010 ISSA World Ranking and the dues requirement for participating in ISSA-sanctioned events.

The World Ranking is being tabulated and brought current as I write this. An updated world ranking with point totals through the European Championship (held June 4-6, 2010) will be published by the end of June. Both Jonathan Harms and Dan Gesmer are working to get the database assembled with the scoring based on the new sanction levels. (World Championship, World Cup, Continental, National and Regional.)

Secondly, in February the Board Of Directors made public its decision that ALL participants in Main and Major sanctioned events must pay the annual dues for ISSA membership. If this dues is not paid no points will be tabulated for that racer. However, there are no longer any Major or Main statuses.

In concurrence with the new sanctioning statuses, racers participating in World Cups (including the World Championship), Continental and National races will be required to join the ISSA and pay the annual dues. It's the same rule as before only updated to cover the new sanction statuses. With the elimination of Prime, Basic and Plain statuses, the only races not requiring ISSA membership will be Regional sanctions.

Finally, please understand no racer's points will be disregarded. If a racer fails to pay ISSA dues before the end of a particular sanctioned event, those points will be calculated retroactively when the dues is paid. Only if no dues is paid during the calendar year will points then be disregarded at the end of the calendar year.

So if you want to see your standings through the course of the season then get your dues in promptly.

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Is there any planned schedule yet when races run this season will be converted according new sanction system, and same for coming races?
And will new updated rule book published soon?
Yes, i know i'm PIA :)
-pokkis

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:40 pm

I thought you had to join ISSA to compete in sanctioned events. But now you can compete and then join retroactively? That doesn't seem right. I can compete, and then if I did well, I can get ranked, or not...and my placing in an event where I wasn't a registered member may mean that a member racer who placed lower than me gets less points even though non-registered members finished above him/her? Will everyone's points who are affected by a racer post-joining ISSA be re-calculated when that racer finally joins?

-R
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Rick,

How many racers showed up in Texas with their $30.00 and were unable to pay their dues because no one was collecting? What happens to them? And later on in the year as the rankings become public someone will ask, "where am I? I won "X" race!" The answer will be, "you need to pay your ISSA dues. The World Ranking is for ISSA members."

The retroactivity as you call it is a rule for 2010 while we transition to the new ISSA membership and sanctioning rules. It's June and we have 95 paid members. We are going to continue promoting the ISSA and encouraging racers who participate to pay membership dues.

This is all about making big changes and working to avoid anyone getting steamrolled.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:06 am

Not my problem if racers didn't join before Texas, and nobody there collected - what are we, children?

That's beside the point anyway, and I understand the rest of what you outline.

The question still remains - if racer A races "X" event and finishes 11th and never joins the ISSA, and racer B finishes 12th and does join, then Racer B will get what - 11th or 12th place points? A racer should get 12th place points towards a ranking when it would have been 11th place points without the non-ISSA racer. Racer A is hurting racer B's points, when racer B was a paid member - that ain't right.

And if we do adjust racer B's points, then everyone's points need to be recalculated as racers post-join...see my point?

-R
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

david pirnack

Post by david pirnack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Is there a place where we can see who's signed up and paid their membership? I have no idea if I've paid or not......as Thomas Dolby says "my brain is like a sieve".....

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:57 pm

You can see a complete member's list here:
http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=6638

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:40 pm

david pirnack wrote:Is there a place where we can see who's signed up and paid their membership? I have no idea if I've paid or not......as Thomas Dolby says "my brain is like a sieve".....
Dave,

You are a member of the ISSA until after the last sanctioned major race in 2010 if you do not pay your dues.

BUT

You are not a paid member for 2010. This means any points you accrue between now and the end of the year will not be included in the World Ranking until your dues is paid.

If you look at the published list your name is included but does not have an "X". This means as of right now you're one of the members who will be "stricken from the rolls" come sometime in November or December unless you pay your dues before that deadline.

Again, this is a transitional arrangement until 2011 when everyone in the ISSA will be a paid member.
Last edited by Wesley Tucker on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Where is the money going and will there be something posted that shows what it was used for?

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:44 pm

I still want something to show my membership.
Sticker.....patch.....anything.
I´m willing to pay again for it.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Chris Barker wrote:Where is the money going and will there be something posted that shows what it was used for?
The money goes directly into a bank account in St. Louis, Missouri managed by the ISSA treasurer, Jonathan Harms.

As of right now the only expenditure from the ISSA account was for the race insurance program Gary Fluitt coordinated. There is also a plan to do something significant going forward to recognize and reward the various ISSA points leaders at the end of the season.

The Board has other initiatives it is considering including more for the Internet and working to provide greater race organization support and assistance.

That's where it's at so far.

As members if anyone has an idea or a proposal don't hesitate to contact the Board of Directors.

Robo, I agree with you: a physical presence for the ISSA in the form of advertising specialties is needed.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:20 pm

robert gaisek wrote:I still want something to show my membership.
Sticker.....patch.....anything.
I´m willing to pay again for it.
After I paid, I wrote "ISSA" on my forehead with a Sharpie. Unfortunately, I passed out at a party in Massachusetts a few days later and now my forehead says "PISSAH". :-)

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 pm

HAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:As of right now the only expenditure from the ISSA account was for the race insurance program Gary Fluitt coordinated.
Could open that little bit more, sounds interesting and promising.
What races that insurance covers? and does it cover only paid members before race or all racers?
-pokkis

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:As of right now the only expenditure from the ISSA account was for the race insurance program Gary Fluitt coordinated.
There's also the webhosting fees and domain name fees being paid from the ISSA account.

/Jani

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Sj Kalliokoski wrote:
Could open that little bit more, sounds interesting and promising.
What races that insurance covers? and does it cover only paid members before race or all racers?
SJ,

It's strictly a liability insurance alleviating the fears of towns and governments who want protection from civil actions. It does not involve anyone's coverage for a hospital visit or similar circumstances.

Sj Kalliokoski

Post by Sj Kalliokoski » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:57 pm

OK thaks, now got it.
What level of races this insurance covers? and in which countries?
-pokkis

Neil Orta

Post by Neil Orta » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:22 am

"Finally, please understand no racer's points will be disregarded."This should hold true for thoe who have paid, only.

"If a racer fails to pay ISSA dues before the end of a particular sanctioned event, those points will be calculated retroactively when the dues is paid."This is absolutely ridiculous! Points tabulation should begin with PAYMENT!!! This allows a wanna be racer to race the year and then if he does good enough to place high pay his dues and brag where he finished. Bad decision, pay to play PERIOD.

"How many racers showed up in Texas with their $30.00 and were unable to pay their dues because no one was collecting?" What happens to them? Which them are you referring to???
There are really two questions to come from this:
1) How do you deal with the person who was ready and able to pay but no one cared to take their money? They should make their payment imediately following the event (designate a time frame and coordinate proof that they attempted to pay) and their points count for the event and thus being paid the rest of the season.
(And the most important!)
2)How do you deal with the organizer that did not take care of their responsibility as a MAJOR sanction holder of an ISSA race? (ie World Cup)
Dues are an important part of making the ISSA a sanctioning body that had credibilty by giving it the funds needed to handle the items that require financial support. Not handling this part of the sanctioning agreement should be delt with, swiftly and with consequences.

"The question still remains - if racer A races "X" event and finishes 11th and never joins the ISSA, and racer B finishes 12th and does join, then Racer B will get what - 11th or 12th place points?"
Racer "B" should not exist in the ISSA point standings AT ALL until they are paid and then only the races attended AFTER payment should be counted.

"You are a member of the ISSA until after the last sanctioned race in 2010 if you do not pay your dues."

"You are not a paid member for 2010. This means any points you accrue between now and the end of the year will not be included in the World Ranking until your dues is paid."
Is it me or does this not sound right??? Dave is a member until AFTER the last race of 2010, BUT he is not a paid member??? WTF? he either is a member or he is not, what is so hard about this. Those who may have been granted 2010 membership for any "in transition" reasons should be accounted as paid members.

It is the confusion like the above that will be the driving force for more outlaw races.....So proud to be an ISSA member.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 am

Neil,

You're confused. Not many others are. I know. I converse with the members both paid and unpaid.

It's simple: 2010 is a transition year. There are special allowances between now and the end of 2010. Anyone who does not pay will not have their points counted. Anyone who does pay will.

Members who paid for lifetime memberships will be accorded the benefit of accessing the ISSA only forum on this website and be on the ISSA mailing list. We won't be voting on anything until after the deadline passes. Only annual paid members from here on will vote on ISSA issues.

It must be remembered the ISSA sold LIFETIME memberships to skaters and supporters and then this year said that membership no longer sufficed. Just cutting off people after taking their money under what could be construed as false pretense is just rude.

That's not confusing. And just because you consider it ridiculous doesn't mean it will be done differently.

Thanks for your feedback. It's really appreciated by those volunteering the time and effort trying to make this work.

Neil Orta

Post by Neil Orta » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Wes you are wrong, AGAIN. Take things one by one the way I spelled them out, the way YOU wrote them.

I am confused- not on how it is supposed to work but rather on why things were made so complicated, it takes WORK by volunteers who give up their time and efforts.

There are many others who are confused, I receive mail too.

"I know." No, you obviously you do not. You do not read my email, maybe the conversations you have lead you to believe this but the mail I receive says there are both those who understand and those who do not. These emails come from members who are both paid and unpaid who have their own opinions of the ISSA and how it is working/not working.

It is remembered, as I was one of those Wes, but I did not cry I ponied up the requested dough when the change was made.

No one suggested to just cut anyone off you need to re-read my post, it is taking YOUR words sentence by sentence and commenting with my opinions.

Your welcome for my feedback! Being a race organizer for over ten years I know the value of the feedback I receive, it has made it possible for me to put on very successful events that run smooth and leave competitors with only the competition and comraderie to focus on.

As for your last sentence....well it probably would not have been written that way by you if you truely welcomed my feedback. Not my problem if you volunteer your time and effort and cannot take the good with the bad, I am a PAYING member and this is what I am faced with from a board member......your public representation of the ISSA is a....well let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:30 am

Neil,

I truely welcome your feedback and ideas but lack the energy to put them into action.

NOW if you were on the BOD, you could move the board to act on your suggestions.

I earnestly offer you my seat on the board as I agree with your intent and would gladly make way for your experience and enthusiasm.

I'm not kidding.

Joe

Neil Orta

Post by Neil Orta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:26 am

Joe Iacovelli wrote:..... but lack the energy to put them into action.
Marcus Rietema wrote:Sadly, I do not have the time or energy required to campaign my ideas.....
Joe, Thank You for the offer and quite honestly I considered running but had noticed the trend within the ISSA that is echoed in the comments above and had decided to hang back and simply offer ideas and assistance in support of those who did make up the board.

I have tons of energy but I also run a large electrical contracting company, a race organizing company and being involved in a new skate company venture.....time is limited. In the coming three months I am moving the electrical company's office & shop to a new location, I just bought my first house and will be moving residences, organizing my first two slalom races as well as two downhill races and being crew chief on the Powered Streetluge Team have several shows and some record runs to be present for, this will all happen before October. Oh yeah I have some slalom races I hope to attend so I have some enjoyment in there somewhere as well.

The running of an organization is no joke and I'm sure either is your offer. If not now, maybe in a future election.......

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:56 am

I hear crickets.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:03 am

you mean there is still something,anything alive out there?

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Post by Sam Gordon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:42 pm

It's just the wind blowing through the old telegraph wires.

Roll on 2011!