Archive of older ISSA topics

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Jonathan Harms

Stefano Bellingeri
Stefano
Stefano

World Ranking - update for 2009?

Post by Stefano Bellingeri » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:05 am

Does the world ranking still exist?
Why there is nothing concerning the 2009 season?
I just wonder if it is not as killing the sport not updating the rank. Imagine people discovering the web page and looking for something that seems being dead (since 2008).
If nobody is interested in it, it should be fefinitely killed. This would be less sport image damaging.
Stefano
Stefano Bellingeri

Antonio Saluena
Antonio S.
Antonio S.

rankin

Post by Antonio Saluena » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:16 am

I totally agree! The question has been up a lot of times, many people also offered to help but still nothing happens...
The rankig is also to encourage people to go to races, maybe that's why less racers didn't travel as much this year?
I definitly hope the ranking will be updated now in the end of the year at least!!!

Antonio

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:09 pm

I second that - I went to all five USA ISSA MAIN status races, plus the Worlds this year, on purpose...I would HATE to think it was a waste of time and a large amount of money with regard to rankings.
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Gustavs Gailitis
Gustavs
Gustavs

Post by Gustavs Gailitis » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:46 am

Rick Floyd wrote in WORLD RANKING topic 2 months ago : ''Corky just put out a call to event organizers to send in results''

so no worries that the ranking will be updated!

Corky is doing a great job for years and I'm sure that the ranking will be updated at the end of the year ;)
If you want to upgrade your board,visit - http://www.coneracing.com/

http://fullbagskates.com/

http://www.slalomskaters.lv/ - Wheelbite Racing

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Gustavs Gailitis wrote:Rick Floyd wrote in WORLD RANKING topic 2 months ago : ''Corky just put out a call to event organizers to send in results''

so no worries that the ranking will be updated!

Corky is doing a great job for years and I'm sure that the ranking will be updated at the end of the year ;)
Yes I did. I also emailed Corky yesterday to ask if I can help out, which I have done before. I said nothing about him not doing a great job. I realize it is a volunteer position, but the fact remains - if whover is doing it cannot find the time or needs assistence to get it done, then they should say so, and if they can't get to it they should say so too. If WE are going to have a ranking system, then it is MY belief it should be updated regularly and as quickly after a race as possible. If we can't do that then fine, but let's at least start with an expectation and plan of how often it will be updated, and if needed, try to find someone who can do that, volunteer or not. I'm not the only one asking for this. Perhaps you have seen other rider's comments that if their were rankings online, then they could use them to attract sponsors. I have had sponsors and press ask where they can follow the rankings...and I had to tell them they can't. That is not growing the sport.

I'll say it again. This is not an indictment of Corky or anyone else. It is me voicing my opinion and the fact that I wish the situation was different. Volunteers make the sport go for now no doubt, but that doesn't mean we can't set expectations and try to meet them, and modify the way we do things if needed.

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Gustavs Gailitis
Gustavs
Gustavs

Post by Gustavs Gailitis » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:32 pm

I also hope that the ranking will be updated asap (at least unofficial), because last two big races of the year are finished (DIXIE CUP in USA,''Brno slalom open'' in Czech Republic, Europe), so it would be great (and logical) to see the ranking soon ;)

I'm just an AM racer who definately won't be 1st in ranking, but still I went to two EUROPE ISSA MAIN status races, two PRIME races, plus the Euros this year also on purpose and higher position in ranking than in 2008 was one of them.

If I'm correct, usually the ranking was updated every month which is normal also in other sports (e.g.football) - let's get back to that system!
If you want to upgrade your board,visit - http://www.coneracing.com/

http://fullbagskates.com/

http://www.slalomskaters.lv/ - Wheelbite Racing

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm

----------
2 0 0 9
----------

I think Corky is pretty much done with this sport, but I hope he will volunteer to get this years ranking together. Discussions are underway. There's several volunteers ready to help and I'm sure you'll all get involved. Primarily getting the 2009 results together. From what I recall the remaining work for 2009 is:

1 - Make a list of all events (ideally make sure our contest calendar is accurate)
2 - Collect the results of those events
3 - Transform pseudos, if any, into real names
4 - Transform the results into text files that can be read into the ranking system

1,2 and 3 above are easy and within everyones reach, and probably we only need one volunteer from USA and one from Europe. If in addition we could have someone from each of the distant locations Brazil and Australia making sure all those results are in, that would be great.

For item 4, maybe the best would be that a programmer type personality volunteers. Not any advanced work though, but of that type. Could be done by exporting from Excel into a simple format that Corky has decided upon. It's something like this:

Pos First name Surname Country
1 Joe McLaren USA
2 Martin Reaves USA
etc

There's probably something else I missed out upon. But that can be sorted. Now you know what is needed. Let Corky know what you can do to help out. And do start! Is our contest calendar complete? Does it have links to all the result topics? Are all results available on this site? Let's get started on that part. Results links can be put into the contest calendar, if you post replies to that topic, one of us will get them in.

----------
2 0 1 0
----------

The difficulty for 2010 is getting these two positions filled:

- a programmer to finalize the php stuff which are not yet complete on the site.
- a ranking administrator, probably programmer too, to take over Corkys responsibility

The other positions are more easily filled (see 2009):

- a calendar responsible
- a US result responsible
- a EU result responsible
- a Brazilian result responsible
- a Australian result responsible

Dan Gesmer has volunteered to reprogram his spreadsheet so that it can generate ISSA World Ranking compatible exports, that'll greatly help getting the results out of the spreadsheets and into the desired standardized text file format the ranking needs.

Maybe I'm jump starting this topic, I'm not sure I should, but I thought I'd jump in and let you know that we can't expect much more from Corky. He hasn't got the motivation any longer. If we want this ranking to survive some serious volunteers have to step in.

/Jani