Timing set-up at the 2009 Seismic World Championships

Moderator: Robert Thiele

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Timing set-up at the 2009 Seismic World Championships

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:29 am

I want to inform all of the racers about the timing that will be used at the World Championships -- because there are slight differences in what you may have experienced at other races.

1) For all races, we will be using Trackmate version 6.8 timing system with "Excellmate" software which takes the time from the timing system and directly (without possible human error) places it into the timing spreadsheet.

2) For the GS race (ONLY):
A) The timing/scoring/anouncing table will be approximately mid-course (not at the top of the hill) -- Because this is the best location for reliable radio communication to reach the whole course.
B) As a result, the racers will not reliably be able to hear the timing tones. Therefore, the race will be run without early-start penalties and the racer's time will be from start tape-switch actuation to end tape-switch actuation. The tones from the timer (if any) will merely tell you that the timing system is armed.

(This differs from the ISSA rules slightly.)

3) For the Hybrid and Tight:
A) The Trackmate V6.8 introduces a random-delay between the 3rd tone and the final "GO" tone. This makes the reaction to the final "GO" tone a true reaction time. THE TIME FROM 3RD TONE TO FINAL "GO" TONE CHANGES RANDOMLY FOR EACH RACE. This will be demonstrated at the racer's meeting.
i) This is a result of using the most reliable and most up-to-date timing system.
ii) This is arguably "better" than a uniform timing count-down, in that it is really a "reaction" to the final beep.
iii) This has been in use in Europe for the past year.
iv) This negates the advantage some racers have developed to be able to lift the front wheels over the timing switch by anticipating the "GO" tone early.

B) This system will be used FOR QUALIFYING and for final head-to-head racing. (per ISSA rules)

C) The "GO" tone starts the clock. Running over the tape-switch early will result in a 2X penalty. (per ISSA RULES)

If there are any big concerns with this, please email me before the race. If there are only questions/clarifications needed, then please bring these up at the racer's meeting.

Thank you,

-- Pat

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Nice!

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Great! This is indeed the best way to start races.
Many Happy Pumps!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Used this in Antrim last year - works well!

I don't think we used the delayed tone for qualis though? Is there really any need for that?

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:
I don't think we used the delayed tone for qualis though? Is there really any need for that?

-RF
I would turn the question around and ask "Is there a need for the Qualifications to be timed differently than the Finals?" I think the answer is "no".

There are several reasons to keep the Quals timed the exact same as the Finals -- mostly to reduce errors in forgetting which mode is being used (errors from the timekeeper, the spreadsheet maker, the racers....). It also makes for a better qualification run since racers then have an identical chance of running the course without someone in front of them shooting cones into their course. Most races that have qualifications and then finals use the exact same method for timing both (swimming, track, etc.)

The ISSA rules call for using the same timing method for Qualifications and for Finals.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:
Rick Floyd wrote:

-RF
I would turn the question around and ask "Is there a need for the Qualifications to be timed differently than the Finals?" I think the answer is "no".

There are several reasons to keep the Quals timed the exact same as the Finals -- mostly to reduce errors in forgetting which mode is being used (errors from the timekeeper, the spreadsheet maker, the racers....). It also makes for a better qualification run since racers then have an identical chance of running the course without someone in front of them shooting cones into their course. Most races that have qualifications and then finals use the exact same method for timing both (swimming, track, etc.)
Good points Pat - thank you! Onward and upward.

See you soon. :-)

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)