Major/Main/Prime/Basic/etc means...?

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

willy demis

Major/Main/Prime/Basic/etc means...?

Post by willy demis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:29 pm

This seems like such a basic question. Every single slalom skateboard event (at least sanctioned by ISSA) has to be sanctioned as one of these statuses. Yet I have looked for hours on this forum now and can not find out what the definition is for each of these brandings!

Can this be made into a sticky or something?? Have I overlooked it??

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:34 pm

They no longer exist.

The sanctions now administered by the ISSA are:

World Championships
World Cup
Continental
National
Regional

I should think the sanction of each should be a little bit more self-explanatory?

The decision, reasoning and details are all on the front page of the website.

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:51 pm

Amazing. I can barley find a thread on this forum younger than a year old, skated in a "Prime" event less than 6 months ago, and still no info to be found. But now that doesn't matter since they don't exist... (Though I see mentions of them in the BAR thread...)

Thanks for the info Wes, I will search for these new brandings. By the way- was this a change effective in 2010- because I know 2009 races (well at least one) was branded "Prime"

On a TOTALLY unrelated note- I've been reading some threads on here- and they all seem to just die off. WTH? Was the ISSA fourm server updated at some point, and replies to threads lost? For example- there is a thread 5 pages long on updating the ISSA logo. But at page 5, there was no conclusion. No voting. No updated logo. Just a dead thread... Another example was one you posted about using drag racing style bracketing. Same thing- it just dies... What's going on on this forum? <confused>

(And ya, I mean, I get that it's a forum. Some posts will have replies- others won't. My point is that I can't seem to find many posts that actually have any outcome at all...

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:57 pm

OK, I read the front page as you recommended, and I must say- it seems very clear cut now. Much better since I didn't (and still don't) have a damn clue what the difference between Major or Mains was... Thanks- very useful.

I have recently read the 2010 rulebook, and it mentions nothing about BoarderX. I will search around for more info on this- but am curious if that was an oversight in the rule book? Or perhaps there is an addendum to the rulebook for this style of event? (But again- I will search for such...)

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 am

Willy,

Any time you read a thread started on this forum regarding new ideas, new directions and new processes, pay close attention to one thing:

Who will do it?

When someone does it, it gets done.
When there's a lot of discussion about how someone needs to do it, it usually fades to black.

As far as the "drag racing format," that is now in the rule book as the double elimination format and also the no-count count/max cone count rules. It all started as a discussion concerning the discrepancies in how we calculate false-start penalties. It evolved into the new rules being added in 2010.

As far as the BoarderX is concerned, I agree. The Board Of Directors added the discipline in January. What are the rules? We are waiting for their composition.

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:43 am

haha- I thought it sounded similar to the current double elimination stuff... lol. I guess it would be nice for newbies like me to be able to go through old threads to familiarize myself with the sport and see something like, for example:

[Someone]- "Good idea Wes- let's vote on this"
[Someone else]- "This is now in the rulebook"

...But in that I know I'm kinda asking for the world...

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:The sanctions now administered by the ISSA are:

World Championships
World Cup
Continental
National
Regional

I should think the sanction of each should be a little bit more self-explanatory?
Are they?
To me there's one National in every country, yet the ISSA only wants a few nationals in Europe. It may have to be revised again soon, or just have some clarifications added.

Actually it doesn't matter much what you call them. The important thing is that there are different levels and depending on the level you get different points for the World Ranking. The higher the level, the more points you get. The ISSA should set different requirements for these levels, and they are yet to be announced.

Also, the actual assignment of event status is not done by the BOD, but by status marshals. That has been done with varying degree of efficiency, but generally it has worked out OK for every season so far. The 2009 season was the worst with some statuses actually assigned after the fact. That should be impossible, but there wasn't much to do. This year it may actually be worse because it's a year of transition, but hopefully it'll get sorted soon so that we can have a ranking for this year.

BTW, the 2009 ranking definitions may be easier to find on the www.slalomranking.com site, where you can also see the complete standings of 2009 and previous years of ranking. The definitions should be available here as well. Not on the front page, but in a topic in the World Ranking forum. But as it's all changing no need to look that up now, unless you want to get an idea of what kind of requirements (pre announcement etc) may be required of the higher levels of events. The new wordings should come with similar guidelines as well.

/Jani

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Re: Major/Main/Prime/Basic/etc means...?

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Fri May 17, 2013 10:47 pm

i can't find the rules explaining requirement for every kind of status.
does someone know where it is?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: Major/Main/Prime/Basic/etc means...?

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat May 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Guillaume Saint-Criq wrote:i can't find the rules explaining requirement for every kind of status.
does someone know where it is?
See RESOURCES in the top menu.

/Jani