2008 ISSA Rules Update -- Section 6 (Calculation of Time)

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

2008 ISSA Rules Update -- Section 6 (Calculation of Time)

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:10 am

Put comments on section 6 here.

You may view the draft rules here in 3 forms:

As a WORD document: http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... -DRAFT.doc

As a PDF document:http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... FT-0_2.pdf

As a Webpage:http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... -DRAFT.htm
6. Calculation of Time
6.1. Calculating the Resulting Time
The time for each racer is calculated by the formula:

RT = ET + SP + (CD*CP)

Where:

· RT is the Resulting (final) Time

· ET is the Elapsed Time from the START tone to the racer’s finish

· SP is the Start Penalty for starting early

· CD is the # of Cones Displaced

· CP is the Cone Penalty for this race

6.2. Penalty for Disqualifications
The racer’s Resultant Time (RT) is set at 999 seconds if the racer is disqualified during the run.

6.3. Provisions for Ties
If racers should be tied during a race, the following shall apply in the order given:

· During qualification runs

· The racer’s slower run of the 2 runs are compared to break the tie.

· The racers who are still tied are placed into the head-to-head seeding in random order among the tied racers.

· During single-lane competition:

· The racer’s slower run of the 2 runs are compared to break the tie.

· If that does not break the tie, then the racers are tied in the final placement.

· During head-to-head competition:

· The racer with the higher placement in the qualifying round shall be declared the winner of the head-to-head round.
OFFICIAL VOTE FOR THIS SECTION 6 (Calculation of Time)

The quoted text box above is the "draft proposal". In this area, we capture all of the requested changes in the form of a vote. Then the section will be changed as dictated by the outcome of the vote.

Please make comments as to whether the voting completely encompasses all alternatives, and without bias.

The expected date of this vote will be Nov 15-Nov30

Vote Question #6.1 (Section 6, 1st Vote)
In the case of Head-to-Head racing, what shall be the DQ time penalty when racer A DQ's in the run and racer B does not DQ?
A) Racer A = 999 seconds.
B) Racer A = Racer B + 1.5 seconds
C) Racer A = Racer B + 1.0 seconds
D) Racer A = Racer B + 10% Racer B

Vote Question # 6.2 (Section 6, 2nd Vote)
What should the rule be for differentiation of the DQ penalty between PRO and AM racers in the head-to-head rounds? (When racer A DQ's and racer B does not)
A) No rule is needed to differentiate PRO/AM DQ penalties.
B) For AM racers: Racer A = Racer B +1.5 seconds
C) For AM racers: Racer A = Racer B + 1.0 seconds
D) For AM racers: Racer A = Racer B + 10% Racer B

Vote Question # 6.3 (Section 6, 3rd Vote)
If racer A receives a 999 second DQ penalty in the 1st Head-to-Head run and racer B does not DQ, what should be the status of the 2nd run?
A) Racer A and Racer B proceed to take a 2nd run.
B) Racer B is declared the winner of the round. A 2nd run is not taken.

Vote Question # 6.4 (Section 6, 4th Vote)
Should the following rule be added to the tie-breaking sequence of rules in the draft proposal? (i.e. After comparing the slower run in qualifying, after comparing the qualifying time in head-to-head rounds.) :

"Racers with equal final times shall be compared for cone count. The racer with the lower cone count shall be the winner of the tie-breaker."

A) YES
B) NO

Last edited by Pat Chewning on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:21 am

6.1 CALCULATING THE RESULTING TIME
I think there are two ways to treat fals starts. Either by start penalty or by DQ.

One version counts Start penalty. And in the DQ case there are no start penalties.

6.2 PENALTY FOR DISQUALIFICATIONS
A DQ could be a time penalty. 10% of a certain time or fixed beforehand to 1 sec. In this case the 6.1 calculation has to take this into account.

6.3 PROVISIONS FOR TIES
Take also into account the number of cones to break a tie.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Start Penalty

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:31 am

The 2008 rules proposal has a single start penalty as the "Standard" way to do start penalties. It is the 2X the early-start interval.

I am specifically proposing to NOT ENDORSE the "DQ" method of start penalty because:

A) It slows down the race process.
B) It is too extreme a penalty for jumping the start by .01 second (for example).
C) It is not a good presentation for the spectators to see DQ's on the start.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

DQ Time penalty

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:39 am

The 2008 rules proposal has a single description of the "Standard" way to penalize a DQ: 999 second Resulting Time (final time). I am specifically NOT endorsing other methods of "softening" the DQ penalty because:

A) A DQ penalty of a smaller amount (e.g 1 second) could encourage a racer to deliberately DQ if he was falling more than 1 second behind an opponent.

B) A very heavy DQ penalty makes more sense to the spectators: DQ and you're out!

C) A very heavy DQ penalty encourages racers to finish the course as the 1st priority and go fast as a 2nd priority -- or pay the price.

I'd like to hear other opinions -- do we want a "Heavy" DQ penalty, or a "light" DQ penalty?

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Cones are already accounted for in the tie-breaking.

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:43 am

Hans Koraeus wrote:6.3 PROVISIONS FOR TIES
Take also into account the number of cones to break a tie.
The cones are already accounted for. They went into calculating the Resultant Time (final time) for each of the racers. The racers were tied due to the times being equal (after counting cones). The tie-breaker times are also the Resultant Time (final time) for each of the racers.

Am I missing something? The cones are already accounted for.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:05 pm

I have captured the comments on this section into a vote. (See 1st post)

Some of the voting items that affect this section were discussed under section 5.

If you have comments or suggestions for the structure or wording of the vote, let me know.

Voting will be Nov 15 to Nov 30

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:38 am

About cones as separator:

10:20 + 2 cones = 10:40
10:40 + 0 cones = 10:40

The one with 0 cones have advantage over the one with 2 cones. They have the same time though.

About using DQ at start I think I evolved in another place as well. I don't think it should be forbidden. Not everyone has a timer that can handle start penalty in times.

And I think that it is a big difference in using start time penalty or DQ penalty system at start (like in athletic games). It's two different mind sets. And I don't think it looks bad. On the contrary. I often feel the audince get exited by false starts.

What looks bad though is taking cones. The audience agrees. Maybe we should not alow that instead. ;-)

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:18 am

Hans Koraeus wrote:About cones as separator:

10:20 + 2 cones = 10:40
10:40 + 0 cones = 10:40

The one with 0 cones have advantage over the one with 2 cones. They have the same time though.
I added this as voting question 6.4 above...... It was not clear to me whether this tie-breaking proposal was to REPLACE the draft tie-breakers, PRECEDE the draft tie-breakers, or FOLLOW the draft tie-breakers. So I put it in the vote to follow the draft tie-breakers.