2008 ISSA Rules Update -- Section 4 (Race Description)

general rules, special-tight-giant rules

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Robert Thiele

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

2008 ISSA Rules Update -- Section 4 (Race Description)

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:08 am

Put Comments on Section 4 here.

You may view the draft rules here in 3 forms:

As a WORD document: http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... -DRAFT.doc

As a PDF document:http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... FT-0_2.pdf

As a Webpage:http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... -DRAFT.htm
4. Slalom Race Description
4.1. Single-Lane
Single-lane slalom races are run 1-racer at a time. Two runs are made by each racer. The final placings of the racers are determined by taking the single best time from each racer.

4.2. Dual-Lane
Dual-lane slalom races consist of two identical (either parallel or mirrored) courses. Two racers run at the same time. The race is split into a Qualifying round and a Head-to-Head round.

· Qualifying: The racers take one run on each course.

· The qualifying position is determined by taking the single best time from either course.

· Head-to-Head racing: The racers are seeded into brackets and take one run in each course, with their opponent in the other course.

· The winner of the round is determined by taking the sum of both runs.

· The loser of the round is eliminated from further competition.

· Rounds are taken until the final 2 racers face off for the 1st place round.

4.3. Start
The start consists of a starting platform (ramp) elevated above the surface of the course. The racer stands on the start platform with his feet on the skateboard and upon signal from the race official, propels down the platform and onto the race course. A signaling device determines when the racer has started.

4.4. Cones and Course
Cones are placed on the course surface to indicate the turn points for the racer. The cones shall be negotiated in left/right sequence down the course. Cone spacing and placement depends on the type of course (see Section 9). The object of the race is to successfully pass each turn point in the fastest time.

The course direction at the 1st cone shall be marked to indicate the entry direction into the course.

Once the course is set, the course officials shall mark a cone-circle around each cone to determine placement of the cones after each run, and to determine cone displacements during a run.

Cone specification:

· Base diameter: 140 mm

· Cone height: 250 mm

· Material: Plastic

· Construction: Hollow (light weight)

4.5. Finish
The finish consists of a line perpendicular to the course and no closer than 2m from the final cone. The finish shall provide a signal to the timing equipment to stop the timing when the racer passes the finish line.
OFFICIAL VOTE FOR THIS SECTION 4 (Race Description)

The quoted text box above is the "draft proposal". In this area, we capture all of the requested changes in the form of a vote. Then the section will be changed as dictated by the outcome of the vote.

Please make comments as to whether the voting completely encompasses all alternatives, and without bias. The expected date of this vote will be Nov 15-Nov30

Vote Question #4.1
Shall the cone specification be changed to include the following items?:
Base Diameter 140mm +/- 20mm
Height: 230mm +/- 30mm
Base Flange: Not allowed
No openings in side-wall of cone.

A) YES
B) NO
Last edited by Pat Chewning on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:36 am

I am a bit confused by the cone specifications.

4.4. Cones and Course

If i measure a Seismic cone I get;

· Base diameter: 135 mm

· Cone height: 228 mm

GARY GLASSER

Post by GARY GLASSER » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:32 pm

In 4.3: Its said that we use a start ramp, there are races that a start ramp (several feet off the ground) are not used. Will the rules reflect starting on the ground?
I am the slowest COSS slalom racer..Lucky for you!

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

No ramp-start races.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 pm

GARY GLASSER wrote:In 4.3: Its said that we use a start ramp, there are races that a start ramp (several feet off the ground) are not used. Will the rules reflect starting on the ground?[/i][/b]
The rules should not reflect starting on the ground. If a race organizer wished to start a race on the ground, then this deviation from the rules must be clearly identified in the sanctioning document, and will be taken into account when assigning the status of the race (MAJOR, MAIN, PRIME, BASIC, PLAIN).

The goal is to have one set of rules for the "professional" highest-level competition, with deviations from that one set of rules allowable. The magnitude and number of deviations will affect the contest status.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

SUGGESTED CHANGE: Cone specifications

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Toby Warg wrote:I am a bit confused by the cone specifications.

4.4. Cones and Course

If i measure a Seismic cone I get;

· Base diameter: 135 mm

· Cone height: 228 mm
My suggestion is to change the wording as:

BASE DIAMETER: 140mm +/- 20mm
Cone height: 230mm +/- 30mm

(Minor change from original proposal)
Last edited by Pat Chewning on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GARY GLASSER

Re: No ramp-start races.

Post by GARY GLASSER » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:
GARY GLASSER wrote:In 4.3: Its said that we use a start ramp, there are races that a start ramp (several feet off the ground) are not used. Will the rules reflect starting on the ground?[/i][/b]
The rules should not reflect starting on the ground. If a race organizer wished to start a race on the ground, then this deviation from the rules must be clearly identified in the sanctioning document, and will be taken into account when assigning the status of the race (MAJOR, MAIN, PRIME, BASIC, PLAIN).

The goal is to have one set of rules for the "professional" highest-level competition, with deviations from that one set of rules allowable. The magnitude and number of deviations will affect the contest status.
My concern was for the races on ginormous hills with no flat/crown to put a ramp on safely. I think there was one recently with such a hill.
I am the slowest COSS slalom racer..Lucky for you!

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

This comment from Lenny Poage

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:50 pm

"4.3. Start
The start consists of a starting platform (ramp) elevated above the surface of the course. The racer stands on the start platform with his feet on the skateboard and upon signal from the race official, propels down the platform and onto the race course. A signaling device determines when the racer has started."
Just a point of clarification. Do I interpret this correctly that kick start races are no longer going to be sanctioned?

This comment from Lenny was mis-placed in Section 10 comments, but really belongs here -- Pat See answers above in regard to allowing deviations from the rules. See also section 11 describing the method for declaring deviations from the rules.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:12 am

Yeah. My bad. I just noticed that myself (that's what I get for just skimming along while doing other things. :-) )and deleted the post. My bad.
HOSS

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:39 am

Why not use the "almost ISSA World Record rules" See the cone penalty section. For you who have been on this forum for a while might remember the good old cone discussion we once had many years ago. I think these cone measurements took into account several different cone types that we knew of at that time. And that we thought was ok.
Here is a topic from the good old days trying to set up official 100 cone rules so that we could have official World Record attempts.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... &start=100

It seems like the last version with the latest ideas with the current slalom scene looked something like this:

100 cone rules ver 1.3
-------------------------------------------
1. Course
100 straight "full sized" cones, timed from the middle of first cone to the middle of the last cone.

2. Cone penalty
Cone penalty 0.1 sek for each "cone hit". (Cone limit to be discussed. 11 cones and more is a DQ?)

- "Full sized" = Minimum base diameter 12,5 cm / 5" and minimum hight 20,5 cm / 8".
- "Cone hit" = Fallen cone or outside base circle.

3. Official World record titles
- Fastest run (time with cone penalties)
- Fastest clean run (time with no cones displaced)

4. Official results/events
Results from a 100-cone discipline on a minimum Prime status event. 2 competition runs for each racer. Best time counts (including cone penalty of course).

-------------------------------------------

Blaze into a 100 cone straight course with whatever start you like, on any hill, with any slope, with any surface, with any wind, with any cone spacing in any temperature and adjust your time with penalties. The smallest adjusted time wins.

Do it with your friends and you have an unofficial record. Do it at an official event and you might just break the official world record.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Cone size specification.

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:49 am

Hans Koraeus wrote:Why not use the "almost ISSA World Record rules" See the cone penalty section. For you who have been on this forum for a while might remember the good old cone discussion we once had many years ago. I think these cone measurements took into account several different cone types that we knew of at that time. And that we thought was ok.
There is no maximum cone size in your proposal. I don't think we want to allow cones that are taller than the racers.....

I suggest we go with the standard cone size, plus or minus some reasonable amount...

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:21 pm

My suggestion are:

--Cone specs should provide a range, so that different brands might be used and that the potential unavailability of our beloved Turner cones doesn't require a new standard in the future.

--Cone specs should mandate the absence of flanged bases. If slalomer are prone to argue over the definition of flange (ha!) then, no more than 1/8"/3.2mm. That would accomodate "cheer cones" but eliminate square-based units.

--Cone specs should mandate solid-wall cones, to eliminate the deadly soccer/ventilated cones known to grab a wheel.

These ideas are not for existing organizers that already own/access a ready supply of "perfect" cones, but for new events or persons seeking to start up.
I ride fast boards, slowly.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Polypropylene, polyethelyne or polywannacracker?

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:00 pm

Cone specifications have been all lumped into one vote (see the 1st post in this topic).

I think this is un-controversial and helps define a "good enough" cone spec.

Let me know if you want changes in the way the vote is worded or structured.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:48 pm

As we generally use the Seismic cones as the standard today, wouldn't it be good that the reference measurements in the voting topic should be exactly those of a Seismic cone and then add the +/- something?

That would also help us remember the exact size of a standard cone.

And, maybe we should investigate the market and see if the allowance is enough for any other commercially available and sometimes used cones. I'm thinking about the Airflow cones and some soon to be released ones (I won't make the announcement here until we know if the news is out yet). And we should also ask the Brazilians for example if they have some standard cones that they want authorized as well.

/Jani

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Airflow Cones

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:27 pm

The specifications of the Airflow Cones is as follows:

height: 25cm
bottom diameter: 15cm

They're no longer produced in the near future but there are riders out there who still use them for practice.

I think they can be used if no "standard Seismic cones" are available for a race.

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks