Wheelbase measurement

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri May 30, 2003 9:55 pm

I was looking for a slalom board with a wheelbase a little bit smaller than what I currently have and I just realized that I'm not 100% sure how you measure the wheelbase on a board. Is there any agreed standard on this?

I just assumed wheelbase was from center of back truck axel to center of front truck axel. I.e. from center of back wheel to center of front wheel.

So when you look at boards only and they specify wheelbase, how is that measured? Is it from the back front hole to the front front hole on the board where the trucks go? Or can you only truly measure it with the trucks mounted?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri May 30, 2003 10:13 pm

Corky, I think it’s measured inner hole-to-inner hole, but with trucks with offset axles and PVDs, it’s better to measure axle-to-axle length.

For TS you might need 17-18 inch inner-inner or aprox 20-21 axle to axle. I used 18.5 inch axle-to-axle a couple of times on super TS (5 ft) and it worked just fine.

Good luck with that new board. Make sure it’s not 9 inches wide. They are into that kind of stuff.

Vlad.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat May 31, 2003 3:18 pm

Innerhole to innerhole it seems to be. You are absolutley right Vlad. But I think the term is then missused. That should be called Truckbase. And from axle to axle it should be called wheelbase. By the way Chicken sent me a great photo showing the thing. I'll put it up here soon.

It just reminded me of my very old idea of adding a slalom skateboarder dictionnary section to this forum. There we could explain all these funny terms we use in our slalom skateboard world. For example wheelbase, criddling, sandbagging, flex, camber, Vlad cone a.s.o.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat May 31, 2003 8:04 pm

Here is an example of how to measure wheelbase on a deck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hans Koraeus on 2003-05-31 14:07 ]</font>