TS/Hybrid deck for big guys

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Is my chixill deck good enough for TS/HS at a minimum wheelbase of 20"?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Yes- dude, you're a beginner. Just roll with it for now...
83%
No- obviously. Get something shorter!
17%

Total votes: 6

willy demis

TS/Hybrid deck for big guys

Post by willy demis » Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 pm

I just realized that my Chixill deck has wheelbases of 20", 21 1/4", and 22 1/2". How this fact escaped me this long is beyond me. I guess I assumed since I had a "slalom" board, then it must be ok for all the disciplines. That was silly. Clearly even 20" is not the best for TS, and it finally makes sense why I struggle so much getting around even moderate offsets.

So I guess I need to start looking for a TS/Hybrid deck. (Kinda sucks since GS scares the hell outta me.) I weigh 280lbs, and am not overly light on my feet. So when I try to pump, I am probably flexing the deck quite a bit. I assume this means that a carbon fiber or kevlar deck is probably not the best option for me.

I'd like to get something soon- in time for the St. Louis event. What do you guys recommend?

(JBH- how'd that super ridged CF deck you made hold up at the Sizzler? Still not recommend CF for us big dudes?)

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 pm

I voted that you get a ts board. Why? Clearly you are into it, wheelbase, wedging and the correct trucks turn TS, from frustrating to possible.

Get in touch this week if you want suggestions or tips. I'm sure one of my friends has good used deck for you too when you're ready to pounce.

Joe

Paul Graf

Post by Paul Graf » Sun May 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Your Chill deck will probably be OK for the St. Louis race. We usually don't set real tight course. It also may be possible to drill another set holes for a shorter wheelbase on your Chill deck.

Paul
Last edited by Paul Graf on Sun May 02, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Sun May 02, 2010 11:11 pm

I think I saw in JBH's post that it will be around 7' spacing. I've been practicing at that, and I can get around it just fine (though I'm so slow- haha!). But when I push a cone out with about a one foot offset, a can never get it- I always end up hitting it. This may well be technique.

Man, I can't wait for St. Louis. Hope you guys don't mind answering questions!!

Paul Graf

Post by Paul Graf » Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Don't worry about asking quetions that is what these forums are all about. I'm not sure if you noticed that I edited my last previous post. I added that you could drill another set of holes to get a shorter wheelbase.

Paul

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Mon May 03, 2010 12:21 am

I've thought about drilling another set of holes, but at the shortest setting as it is- the nose already sticks out 7". I guess my best bet is probably just to hold off and wait for the St. Louis jam and get some real-time advice.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon May 03, 2010 6:07 am

DIdn't read all the way to the bottom. If you're going to St Louis, ask around for who has what to sell, $35-50 for something with a 18" WB, an old Roe or PPS wood deck, set it up with a narrowed bennett and a rts rear, some 66mm wheels all properly wedged. Then its just practice, the other half of TS is just getting your head around it.

Joe

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Re: TS/Hybrid deck for big guys

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon May 03, 2010 6:43 am

willy demis wrote: So I guess I need to start looking for a TS/Hybrid deck. (Kinda sucks since GS scares the hell outta me.) I weigh 280lbs, and am not overly light on my feet. So when I try to pump, I am probably flexing the deck quite a bit. I assume this means that a carbon fiber or kevlar deck is probably not the best option for me.

I'd like to get something soon- in time for the St. Louis event. What do you guys recommend?

(JBH- how'd that super ridged CF deck you made hold up at the Sizzler? Still not recommend CF for us big dudes?)
Willy, as Paul wrote, a 20" wheelbase would probably work OK for our race, depending on your truck setup. As long as you've got a properly wedged RT-X or Bennett on the front, or a fancier truck with similar turning ability, you should have at least a fightin' chance.

When I last checked, about 10 days ago, the stiff carbon/foam deck we discussed had not yet been ridden. I e-mailed the owner again after reading your post. If I hear anything soon, I'll let you know. I don't think a foam/carbon board is necessarily out of the question for you, but on the other hand it's probably not essential either. As a bigger guy, you likely have plenty of strength to maneuver a laminated wood board better than, say, somebody who weighs 160. Meantime, Joe has some good suggestions. I think you've been riding an Axe of some sort, right? Depending on your foot size, you might consider a Fullbag as well. They sure work for Mig!

And, of course, we can talk more in STL, too...

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 am

Joe Iacovelli wrote:DIdn't read all the way to the bottom. If you're going to St Louis, ask around for who has what to sell, $35-50 for something with a 18" WB, an old Roe or PPS wood deck, set it up with a narrowed bennett and a rts rear, some 66mm wheels all properly wedged. Then its just practice, the other half of TS is just getting your head around it.

Joe
I'll definitely make sure to bring some extra cash with me- good suggestion!

Jonathan Harms wrote:As a bigger guy, you likely have plenty of strength to maneuver a laminated wood board better than, say, somebody who weighs 160. Meantime, Joe has some good suggestions. I think you've been riding an Axe of some sort, right? Depending on your foot size, you might consider a Fullbag as well. They sure work for Mig!

And, of course, we can talk more in STL, too...
Interesting. I always looked at CF boards as being better because they are lighter. This should mean that when you put the same amount of "pump force" into the board, it should react in a way greater than that of a wood board due to its reduced mass. I never really considered it as an alternative for lighter riders who physically can't put in the same force as a heavier rider. That is interesting indeed. Yes- Jonathan- we will definitely have to talk more!

Oh- and I am riding a chill board with a skennett up front and a seismic rear on a custom wedge.

Neil Orta

Post by Neil Orta » Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:When I last checked, about 10 days ago, the stiff carbon/foam deck we discussed had not yet been ridden
OK...Ok...OK I'll try to get off my A$$ and set the board up this weekend! LOL

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Ha ha! I was wondering if you might end up reading this! Honestly, I'm not trying to guilt-trip you. Just relaying information. :-)

Neil Orta

Post by Neil Orta » Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 pm

OK update, was not able to get the board done during that weekend, in the last ten days I have been able to get the grip tape on!!! Need to get in the garage and get the luge ready for Memorial Day so I should be able to spend time and get some trucks on the deck and see how she rides......maybe session this weekend.

Earl Cephas

Post by Earl Cephas » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:23 am

Being a little <ahem> gravitationally enhanced myself (235 or so when I am paying attention), can speak a little to the ability of Jonathan and Paul's work to support a load. Mine is solid and still light (and almost too pretty to ride) - no need to fear the foam. As far as wheelbase goes, 20" should be fine for most tight stuff you find (for me anyway - my feet are too big and are pretty much touching any shorter).

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:50 am

I learned a ton this weekend at the STL race. I would say, as pertinent to the topic:

1) I was shocked at the long wheel bases on some of the foamies like Pavel. Some of those are quite long!
2) Though some people can do ok with non-precision trucks, practically everyone worth anything are using Radikal or GOG trucks with great success.
3) Foot placement is incredibly important with the rear foot pointing forward in a downhill stance- NOT in a orthogonal freestyle stance as I was using.
4) Equally important is that the deck actually has surface area for your foot to stand on. My Chill (while nice) has such a small tail for my size 12's...
5) I rode a Keith Hollien signature series HS board on Sunday (thanks again Keith!), and it was simply unreal. My feet fit on the deck nicely and in the proper positions. It was incredibly responsive. I ended up purchasing one from Keith after the event.

---Edit
-Earl- thanks for the response. I've got you significantly beat at 280 lb, though ;)

Neil Orta

Post by Neil Orta » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 am

OK still haven't got it mounted but seeing Earls response I can attest to what he is saying, I have ridden Earl's board and was happy enough that I bought one. Jonathan would have to confirm but I think mine was made a bit stiffer for my weight which hovers in the 265-270 range.