Re: New Octane brand

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Re: New Octane brand

Post by Michael Stride » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:10 pm

We need a new category for 2009...Octane.

Image[/img]
Last edited by Michael Stride on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:10 pm

MMMMMMMMAMMMMMMA!

More angles please! Looks really supernice!!!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 pm

Cheers, and it does look good in the flesh.

Details are:
Lightweight.
Strong.
Concave.
Kicktail design.

It is still in development, hence a 2009 launch date. But it will be nice to add another high end, high performance brand into the mix. Prices.....competitve.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:06 pm

That last picture looks like you have stretched out some gum.

Really nice!!

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:14 pm

Will it feature the built-in rear wedge?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Yes.
and no!

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 pm

It kind of reminds me of the all black spaceship in The Hitchhiker's Guide... Just red... :)

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:01 pm

Looks lurvely...

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:12 am

looks like a dildo! :-) ;-)

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:47 pm

Ummmm. Was thinking more along the lines of lipstick Carsten!

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:48 am

Lipstick? Lipstick Racing? ipstick Racing? ickstick Racing? ickstix?

I knew that I know the design of the board! :-)

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:00 am

Anyone have any colour preferences?
We KNOW red is faster. But If I can choose 8 colours what should they be. Or do I copy Apple Nanos Ipods and rely on their millions of scientific consumer research.

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:25 am

white, brown, clear, yellow, orange are my favorites! ....and checkerboard!

Harvey Mills
Harvey
Harvey

Post by Harvey Mills » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:59 pm

any colour you like, as long as it's black.
All The Kit - Still Sh*t

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Pink it is then.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Bright yellow......pink of course........black......can you make them look like marble?

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:23 pm

What are they like torsionally? I heard from a friend they might be a bit twisty at the mo. Any idea on the price yet Mike?

Spike.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Spike. It was and is a prototype. Who was your friend? Or was it a friend of a frined, or the friend of a friend of a friend?

I remember when you asked about another deck, I told you what I felt and you repeated those comments to the manufacturer, without telling them the context of your enquiry. I felt that wasnt a very nice thing to do. You made it look as if I was saying their decks were no good. I dont forget things like that. You have not atteneded any races but in a year you have asked more questions than I think is healthy, and you havent bought any decks to compare 'torsional ridgity' to. WHEN the board is ready (and I do know what Im talking about) it will be for sale. Not before.

What anyone says to you is nothing but a first reaction. I have ridden it FAST. That is the important thing. No one else has ridden it except Rob Dukes.

I want these to have 'life' to them, at the moment the top end decks made of purely carbon and foam seem dead. Nice and stiff, but dead. The only difference to a £45 Skaterbuilt deck being weight. And what do people do with the high end decks...buy heavy high end trucks!

The next version will be better. Of course. Its will have snap, it will have flex, its may even have a small amount of twist, only what I consider reasonable and only for performance issues. Fact is this construction can be tuned. I think we have learned lesson from other constructions.

Price? Reasonable!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Im sorry Spike, but you must understand that I am happy to answer questions about colour, about hopeful price points but NOT on performance issues.

I know what I want from a deck, at the moment I love the Pavels, the Pirnack being far and away the best board I have ridden. If you want a performace deck buy one of those. Do it today! It truly has 'life' to it and I would love to be able to emulate that.

The Octane deck will be high performance. I will make sure of it.

I am fed up with people chipping in with perfomance comments when they haven t ridden it, and especially as its an early prototype.

if you dont trust me to get a good board on the market please support another company.

Spike Taylor

Calm down Micheal!

Post by Spike Taylor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:18 am

Ooops! I didn't mean any harm or to diss your deck. As for my source, I don't want to dob anyone in, if he was wrong, he was wrong. If he was right, you answered thats is a proto - no problem, but chill out mate!

As for some of your other comments, I think they are a little harsh. Didn't you say its about having fun and you don't have to be a competitive racer? So what if I don't come to your races, does that mean I have less of an opinion? And yes I ask questions, thats how I learn. Are non-racers NOT going to be allowed to have an opinion or buy your Octanesport board?
As for your :

"I remember when you asked about another deck, I told you what I felt and you repeated those comments to the manufacturer, without telling them the context of your enquiry. I felt that wasnt a very nice thing to do. You made it look as if I was saying their decks were no good. I dont forget things like that."

I was trying to find stuff out by asking people I respected (that list is one shorter now) and I took the queries I picked up further. I did exactly what you just asked me to do in a PM and told him where the info came from, your reply to me was attached, so how could I "make" it look as though you said his decks were no good?! Turns out your objections were for personal reasons NOT performance issues, that's not very professional.
You have to learn to take feedback when you put something out there, good or bad and yes you will get it from people who haven't ridden it yet.

Spike.

ps.I DO have a few high performance decks now and my German deck and my British deck don't feel dead to me (but what would I know, I'm not a racer in your eyes), thanks for asking, with at least one of them mounted with "heavy high-performance" trucks.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:48 pm

uhmmm
spike
did you ever skate with somebody,anybody in the uk who has met you in person?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Spike, it is about having fun.

Its not 'Fun' when you write about performance issues on a prototype deck, when at no point have I said it was ready. Thats why I say 'for 2009'.

The issue with the Gecko was not personal, they are nice decks, your enquiry was on delivery and whether you should wait. I gave an unbiased reply that in my opinion you would have to wait a while. I keep my reviews of gear UNBIASED and I hope you can undertsand that.

Anyway. I dont think you actually exist!

Now, if you can, tell me who is revieiwing a deck that they havent ridden. Could it perhaps be someone who IS biased???

Your opinions are of course valid, BUT wait until you have ridden one. Then decide. Heresay is not something I base my opinions of gear on.

also, what make German deck do you have that is only carbon and foam. Pavels have wood in them. Read what I said about construction. Pavels dont feel dead to me either. Far from.

This was my reply to you about decks ages ago, in case you forgot:

Gecko are nothing to do with the old one, they are a helmet manufacturer. I
wouldn't wait till spring personally. You could wait a long time.

Of the Pavels the PP Roadster is the biggest seller inthe UK, and the Civs
look extremely nice (both in stock at £95) The Cbark is fun, but I think
the Roadster and Civs are nicer allround.

For footage id trwal thoriugh you tube, I know if you put Michael Stride
you'll find a few clips. Try other names as well.

The BEST way to learn is to come along. Its not until you see in the flesh
how fast the guys go will you be able to judge yourself properly. Everyone
is keen to help newer racers, its that kind of sport. Dont listen to one
racer for all your advice, cherry pick. Some racers have more style, but I
like to see a bit of aggression and flair, I think you need to be a little
on the edge for true racing speed.
Regards, Michael Stride

You asekd about decks when the Geckos were not yet for sale. What you did is then tell Jeff that I had said you should NOT wait, and I stand by that. You wanted a deck that existed. One that would get you on the road to slalom. Waiting until spring when decks are available immediately is the best advice you could have got. Sorry you seem to think that reply is biased. Its not.

[/i]

Joe Iacovelli

Re: Calm down Micheal!

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Spike Taylor wrote:Ooops! I didn't mean any harm or to diss your deck.

TOO LATE

I was trying to find stuff out by asking people I respected (that list is one shorter now) and I took the queries I picked up further. I did exactly what you just asked me to do in a PM and told him where the info came from, your reply to me was attached, so how could I "make" it look as though you said his decks were no good?! Turns out your objections were for personal reasons NOT performance issues, that's not very professional.
You have to learn to take feedback when you put something out there, good or bad and yes you will get it from people who haven't ridden it yet.

SLALOM IS A VERY SMALL WORLD. TURNING AROUND AND SHARING SOMETHING WITH A VENDOR THAT WAS SHARED WITH YOU SEPERATELY IS JUST POOR FORM.

Spike.

ps.I DO have a few high performance decks now and my German deck and my British deck don't feel dead to me (but what would I know, I'm not a racer in your eyes), thanks for asking, with at least one of them mounted with "heavy high-performance" trucks.
SO BENNETTS FRONT AND BACK IS IT?

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:18 pm

It's a pretty board Mr. Stride. It should take to the classic Turner colour palet well.

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:30 pm

I didn't know it was a performance issue, just asked a bloody question. What is with you blokes I don't come to your races so I don't exist? Most of them 300 or 400 miles away and not easy to afford on a grant. I have skated with several UK skaters, mostly downhillers and lugers who are more chilled. Maybe Ill stay here and stick to street skating, less bloody hassle.
I didn't say my German deck was carbon, its made of Bamboo.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:04 pm

I described 'dead' boards as being those made only from carbon fibre and foam. You said your decks dont feel dead. That implies that you did have a carbon foam deck.

So, what high performance german deck is bamboo?

I didnt know students got grants. I thought it was loans these day....

so, which lugers or downhillers have met you? Do you ACTUALLY exist?

Dont tar all the slalomers with the same brush, yes I am belligerent and proud of what I do. I am because I like what I do, and I do help and advise. What I dont like is when my advise is accused of being biased and i resent you saying that it is.

so, who said the deck was bendy and are they independent. or are they connected to a manufacturer? I think I know the answer. I repeat, it was a prototype. I felt confident enough to have it set up as my race board fro the biggest hill we have raced on this year. I think that should tell you all you need to know performance wise. OK I'll admit on that score I AM biased.

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 pm

Newcastle are playin West Brom, I'm off! Oh, and as for skate friends you might know, check out my Facebook.
Good luck with your board, I'll tell Kaliber not to be offended.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Harvey Mills wrote:any colour you like, as long as it's black.
Yeah Baby, once you go black... ;)

Martin.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Will there be some new trucks to go with the board?

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 pm

robert gaisek wrote:Will there be some new trucks to go with the board?
Yes, but I heard from a friend that they get wheelbite.

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Joe Iacovelli wrote:
robert gaisek wrote:Will there be some new trucks to go with the board?
Yes, but I heard from a friend that they get wheelbite.
You did too, huh?

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:40 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I did prepare for punnishment but no one took the chance.

Will there will be an Octane-truck as well.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:41 pm

If I ever produce a truck I will name it "BITE ME".

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 pm

PLEASE,out of respect, no comments from Park City, Hove .....or anywhere really Martin.

You have some cheek you really do.

I do not need to tell you how I feel because you KNOW.

And I do not need to ask how you feel. Again because I KNOW. And nothing you say can change my feeling of compassion for your loss.

Now leave it at that. Coming in on this thread shows a distinct lack of judgement on your part. Insulting me on one forum does not give you the right to come in on this thread and have a another go. Take your winking smiley and sponsor list on your own decks thread. ta!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:06 pm

An Octane truck.

mmmmm. actually I did investigate getting the PVDs made again as I really really like them. That was a while back. But what with GOGs doing such a great job at present it would be difficult to justify it.

I do note with interest the explosion of custom downhill trucks , and love my Kahalanis from Sweden. No bearings in them, and utilise regular kingpins and bushings. It did set my mind thinking.

What Id like to do first is try to get a nice deck made, at a good price, in the G&S vein, ie a nice looking board, and repeatable manufacture process. The idea being to be able to go to a race with a rainbow wad of decks (no black in a rainbow!) and a lovely feeling deck available 'off the shelf'. No, probably not as high end or custom as some boards, but in between a wood deck and a high end deck. I feel their is a gap in the market there.

But Id love a deck youd be proud to have under your arm and one that can, and will win a race or two. One that looks good.And

Steve Rhodes

Post by Steve Rhodes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:49 am

Michael Stride wrote:Anyone have any colour preferences?
We KNOW red is faster. But If I can choose 8 colours what should they be. Or do I copy Apple Nanos Ipods and rely on their millions of scientific consumer research.
Cadbury's Purple, all day long.

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Michael Stride wrote:PLEASE,out of respect, no comments from Park City, Hove .....or anywhere really Martin.

You have some cheek you really do.

I do not need to tell you how I feel because you KNOW.

And I do not need to ask how you feel. Again because I KNOW. And nothing you say can change my feeling of compassion for your loss.

Now leave it at that. Coming in on this thread shows a distinct lack of judgement on your part. Insulting me on one forum does not give you the right to come in on this thread and have a another go. Take your winking smiley and sponsor list on your own decks thread. ta!
Calm down Mate you'll make yourself ill, I think he was just making a joke to lighten the mood, I ca't see a dig at anyone, its a well known joke, personally i thought it was funny. You didn't have a go at the bloke who said it looked like a dildo fer chrissakes!
Now go have a beer everything will seem better.

Spike

ps. Toon Army won 2 - 1 last night, oh yeah!
FUN-is the bottom line!

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:10 pm

Spike, as you arnt part of the 'scene' due to geographical difficulties it would be wrong of me to expect you or others to fully understand why I do not welcome Martins comments, whether in jest or not. Especially not after his recent posts aimed specifically at me on NCDSA.

To be honest, as you havent answered whether the person you get your ' info' from has a link to another deck manufacturer and as you've already said my tips to you were biased Id rather you did the decent thing and kept your opinions openminded.

As I said I will not accept performance related comment form you, or others while it is prototype stage, and as for aesthetics as a graphic designer in the past I hope it will look good. I'm not in the least offended by Carsten description becuase frankly thats perfect becuase I will shove it up someones ar*e when I see them!!!

Now, having said that I have , often, sent high end decks to potential customers to have a good look see, as you really cant decide whether a deck is your cup of tea without standing on it, or trying a test board.

If you want to try one you may. But only when I feel they are capable of winning races under the feet of good riders.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:50 pm

Well.....regardless of all the shit that is thrown back and fourth, I think it is a beauty.
I´m looking forward to see it in real life soon and if possible in a shop in Sweden.

Good job.

Harvey Mills
Harvey
Harvey

Octane Board

Post by Harvey Mills » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:14 am

it is a cracking looking board Michael - nice one. There's definately something "Turner-esque" about the finish and those sexy rolled edges. Is it for TS or Hybrid / what will the wheelbase be?
All The Kit - Still Sh*t

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:43 pm

There will be multiple wheelbase patterns. Pre-drilled. Wheelbases being finalised, and the preliminary model will be a hybrid deck, beacuase feedback from many racers has been that what the UK call 'tight' is one thing, and hybrid models have been the bigger sellers over the year.

A good hybird model can do an awful lot, GS if need be, and tight if the occassion deserves it. Its much harder to have a tight setup that can do GS if that makes sense.

A compromise, nah, more a beginning, Id like to see a choice of lengths.

The construction is beefier than Turners of old, and utilise some clever tricks, the edges are strong and sharp on the top side.

The shape looks 'right' and whilst of course there could be arguments about optimum race shapes I am a firm beliver in that the aesthetics are very important too. That indefinable and unquantifiable performance advantage from having a slick looking board....kind of like a Ferrari..? But initial feelings are that the outline shape is spot on, the actual concave and a few other bits need work.

Its great to have something to work on during the cold weather months, and will complement something else in the works. Said too much!

Steve Rhodes

those rolled edges......

Post by Steve Rhodes » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 am

What with them being underneath (i never understood the Turners top rolled edges),

it made me think about 'downforce',

i know very well that the chances of myself going fast enough on one for it to come into play is pretty slim,

but others could.....

Anyone got a wind tunnel?
ALSO KNOWN AS MUNCHH........GET PUMPING!

HOMEMADES RULE!

HOW DO I ADD A PICTURE???????

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:18 am

A few more for testing.....Octane Orange..... and Limey Lemon!Image