Foamcore repair by Surf Shops?

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Foamcore repair by Surf Shops?

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:38 am

I've got a broken foam core and I was wondering if a surf shop that repairs surf boards would be likely to repair my slalom board. Does anyone know anyone good
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:57 am

Karl,

If the foam core of your board is broken, the board is totalled. The foam core is in essence a "whole" component of the board. Once that component is fractured, there is no way to ever repair the board to a rideable condition.

You can glue it or reinforce it with more fibreglas, but as soon as the board flexes, the fracture will happen again and the board will sag out.

Sorry, man. I know it's sad to hear, but we've all been there. I've broken Icks and Turners and cried myself to sleep over the loss of a prime piece of skate, but that's just the breaks.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering why surfboards migh be repaired and skateboards can't, it's because surfboards don't flex. You can always wrap ten more layers of glass around a cracked core and get a board that will last til the end of the summer. Slalom skateboards aren't like that. They flex and bend and the foam core is the heart of how that works. Break the core and the board is gone.

Eric Brassard

Foam cor board

Post by Eric Brassard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 pm

I Wesley, is it possible to post a picture of inside strcture foam core board. and whit this picture i try to find something for this guy.

Rick from Québec

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:50 pm

BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Eric Brassard

Post by Eric Brassard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:25 pm

Thank`s for a picture i am working for you I will contact you later

Rick

Shawn King

it might be repairable

Post by Shawn King » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:33 pm

well we make the turners and have broken many in testing
you might be able to repair thet thing of yours but it will never be as strong as before
if you want us to repair it drop me a line
...................PEACE.................

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:03 pm

Karl, you know how sorry I´m about this.

You - of course - know it but just for the record here on ISSA:

I didn´t build the decks you broke but my former partner who is no longer part of wefunk skateboards.

I really don´t know: Did you get any replacement which still lasts? I know that another deck also broke.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 am

I'm not sad about this at all I knew that it was a prototype when I bought it, the board design was a little weak, but I still loved that board more than my last girl friend (she learned to understand after awhile :D ).

Check out these videos from Da Farm Series # 4 TS, http://www.slalomspot.com/video/karl/karl_ts2.mov http://www.slalomspot.com/video/karl/karl_ts.mov

1 cone, 5th place, not bad.

Meanwhile I did get my new board from Arne in November, it's fantastic, the first time I ever rode it through cones I put down faster times than on my other boards I've been riding for more than a year. Look for me on it this year ;).
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:24 am

Damn, you got fast. 8) (Compared to Cologne 2004 where I saw you riding the last time.))