Template

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Template

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:34 pm

What does one use to make a template. Material wise. I want to send a template with a certain shape of a board that I want made. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:05 pm

Do you have access to a drawing program? I use the adobe illustrator. give me a call if you need some help with it.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 am

Eddy,
Best would be to use masonite. If just a one time deal just get the 1/8" stuff that is tempered on one side only. This is what is used for surfboard templates.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Masonite is cool. Especially if it's for a drawing template.

If you want to make a template for use with a router, plexiglass is best, aluminum is good too, 3/4" plywood is next best and much more affordable. Masonite for a router is fine too, but you gotta be careful with it when you store it to avoid chipping it.
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:05 am

That a good point Ron. Even though I never had problems when I was making surfboards, I had a few masonite ones that lasted many years no problem. But I can see what you mean.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:34 pm

Thank you , Sir!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:47 pm

For my custom Icks, I outputted my design at 100% on large format printer paper. I included all actual dimensions and camber specs. Rick told me he had no problem translating it to foam and glas.

Eddy, get a computer with Corel Draw, Illustrator or some such program, setup your "CUSTOM PAGE" to a size a couple of inches bigger than the actual board. (Such as, a page that's 38" x 12" for a 36" x 10" board design. That's an extra inch all the way around.) Then draw your board. Save it to disc and take it to:

a) a quality blue print shop
b) a sign shop
c) a commercial print shop

Any of these will probably be running a large-format Hewlett Packard or Roland printer. Output for a sheet that size will run you between $5 and $15, depending on the quality of paper. Or send the disc to Frank Henn. I have a feeling that if he's doing high quality Giclees then he's got just such a printer. I'm assuming Frank has a roll of paper. If he's doing lots of Giclees then maybe all he has in stock is rolled print canvas. Won't know until you ask.

Then roll up the output and stick it in a mailing tube and send to whom it may concern.

Frank Henn

Post by Frank Henn » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:05 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote: a) a quality blue print shop
b) a sign shop
c) a commercial print shop
Or send the disc to Frank Henn. I have a feeling that if he's doing high quality Giclees then he's got just such a printer. I'm assuming Frank has a roll of paper. If he's doing lots of Giclees then maybe all he has in stock is rolled print canvas. Won't know until you ask.
I can do all that but, I send mine off to a friend that runs out blueprints and blackline prints. Its usually alot cheaper as its just a black and white print on cheap paper. I can get it done here for you for a couple bucks for running around and shipping.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Frank,

I outputted mine on that real heavy matte-coated paper that H-P sells. It's almost like photo print paper but 100 feet on a 36"-wide roll. It's actually match print paper for four-color proof work.

I did it that way because let's not forget that some glasser or shaper is going to be working with it in the shop. If he spills something on it or accidentally drops a razor blade, it won't go down the drain in several pieces. Plus, with that heavier material Rick was able to cut out the template, poke holes where he needed it and so on and it still held up to the abuse of translating it to a real board.

I guess what I'm suggesting is something that's a compromise between a plexiglass template and 60 lb offset that's too light to hold up to a beating.