Beginner/ Intermediate slalom board

Slalom Skateboard Decks forum

Moderator: Marion Karr

Hunter Singleton

Beginner/ Intermediate slalom board

Post by Hunter Singleton » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:59 pm

I have been looking at a Indiana Big Cheif, Comet slalom (crusier?), Fluid "mummy", or G&S fibreflex. Which do you recomend, or tell me of a better one for under $90! I would buy a used board also, if you have one!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:24 pm

Hunter,

I can't speak from experience because I haven't ridden one, but I can mention that the Roe Performance Series is in your price range. These are Fibreglas/Wood laminates with composite inserts (Kevlar? Carbon? I'm not sure.)

I saw these boards at Da' Farm in August and can tell you Gareth is making a decent product with this line. Also, don't forget about the Bahne Black Hill boards. They ship both as decks and I believe you can also get a good price on a complete (Trackers and Cadillac wheels.)

If you're new to slalom, I would suggest, though, that you keep one thing in mind: slalom boards are not "one size fits all." If you're looking for a flex board, remember to consider your WEIGHT and your RIDING STYLE when picking a board, especially a USED BOARD. If you're heavy and buy a soft flex, it'll sag to the ground. If you're a light (under 160 pounds) and you buy a stiff flex, it'll feel like oak. The problem with getting a used board is there's no real way to determine the flex characteristics until you've already made the buy. Someone will say, "oh, it's a great medium flex board." Unfortunately you're buying it from someone who weighs 75 pounds more than you and what "medium" for them is "hard as a rock" for you!

I guess the best way to sum this up is to suggest that you ask LOTS OF QUESTIONS before coming up with the bucks. That's the best way to avoid being disappointed with your purchase. Whether it's from a manufacturer direct or from someone in the buy/sell/trade forum, if you make sure of what you're getting before you get it, then you'll avoid a lot of problems later.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:35 pm

Hunter,
Out of the decks you mention above, if you decide you want a Fibreflex contact Debbie Saili to put an order in NOW, because she mentioned here recently that she was making a batch.

From Fibreflex the Attila slalom deck (GSLite), Freerider slalom , and Mallard slalom shape are all good full outlined slalom decks. When Fibreflex has made slalom shapes in the past year most sell to those who've pre-ordered, so you probably wont find one in the shops or online. And then they are sold out till the next batch.

Another deck in that price range that you might consider is the Roe PS (performance series). A laminated wood deck of thin ply’s sandwiched in glass/carbon fiber. This is similar contruction to a Fibreflex, but the Fibreflex's use "BowTuff" instead of glass on both sides of the deck.
====================
Wesley, you posted at the same time and also mentioned the Roe's :-)