Gecko Superlight Ordering information.

Gecko Slalom Boards

Moderator: Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Gecko Superlight Ordering information.

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 pm

You are probably reading this because you have an interest in the new Gecko Superlight Board.
To be honest we have been a little staggered, but not completely surprised by the response. This was always planned to be a Limited Edition production run and we are now aware that some people may end up missing out.
To try to avoid this happening and making it as fair as possible if you would like to order a deck, please do the following as soon as possible:

1. Phone with your Credit Card details to +44 (0) 1288 355988 (from the US 011-44-1288-355988) and make a deposit in the sum of 10 pounds sterling.
2. Give us your full address details (send an e-mail to jeff@geckoheadgear.com) and tell us your weight.
3. Sit back and wait for between 3-4 weeks (Jeff is away for 2 weeks, hence the delay). You will be notified when the balance is due.
4. Receive your board (it will feel like an empty box), mount, ride and then just try to wipe the smile off your face!

I forgot, the boards also come gripped with the gnarliest grip tape we could source free for those who order as above, its even grippier than the pool-specific stuff and will eat clothing, so be careful when you pick it up!
The decks will retail for:
-$260 in the US,
-175 Euros plus VAT = 206 Euros,
-130 Pounds Sterling plus VAT = 152.75 pounds or
-1,912 Swaziland Emalangeni!
Basically if you are outside of the EU or have a VAT-registered business you are exempt from the nuisance tax!
Those who contacted us and expressed an interest before the Press Release of a few days ago, don't worry you guys are at the head of the list and may be receiving your boards very soon!

Welcome aboard!

Martin Drayton.

Last edited by Martin Drayton on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

board

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:22 pm

can i make a deposit whit paypal? or give you it in gotenburg?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

No worries Pelle...

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:30 pm

I think Jeff will have one for you that he is bringing to G'Burg as you were one of the first few to order a few months ago, so bring the full amount and you'll be riding it on the Saturday and racing on it on the Sunday!

Take care,
Martin.

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

:)

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Perfekt!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Incentives...Mmmmm.

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Jeff is currently away on holiday but has been in contact by text and came up with an idea... About half of the run is now spoken for, but for those who are purchasing one of the numbered 'Special Edition' run of decks (I can almost see how that will look on Ebay in 10 years right alongside the PVD's!) we have concocted an incentive.

Those who order now will get:
- Priority for the forthcoming Limited Edition Hybrid/GS model.
- And a 10% discount on that next model.

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:04 pm

I was about to ask about one of these decks with a 21" wheelbase but you just answered my question with that Hybrid/GS announcement.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Hybrid/GS....

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Gary Saenz wrote:I was about to ask about one of these decks with a 21" wheelbase but you just answered my question with that Hybrid/GS announcement.
Hi Gary,
The design is OFF the drawing board but a little away from being built and tested. We won't start building until the slalom boards are all gone.
It will be approximately 33" x 9", with a 20, 21 & 22" w/b to make it a Hybrid/GS quiver killer and will again be uber light ....and just a little easy on the eye!
You'll just have to be a little patient though...Jeff is a perfectionist!

The little lizard is going worldwide too! Its gaining momentum...firm orders from the UK, Sweden, Finland and the USA plus enquiries from the Southern hemisphere...cool!
Last edited by Martin Drayton on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

jeff

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:52 pm

hi is not only perfectionist! he is the BEST! you dont finde better boards...

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

*BIG news!!!!!!!* ...order by 24th March.

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:36 pm

As some of you may know, Jeff wasn't completely happy with a couple of things on the pre-production version that he knew he could change. To make these alterations would basically leave him with three options, as they would cost him more to build them and therefore force the price up:

1.Cut his losses and stop production-(The advice from his Accountant).
2.Keep the boards as they are, knowing that he could have made them even better (being a perfectionist...unlikely).
3.Go for broke and build possibly the finest slalom board ever seen and hope that people are willing to pay for an extremely high quality deck that he feels sets a new benchmark as regards finish, quality and performance in composite boards.

After several days of soul-searching and ignoring advice from his financial advisors...he is going for option 3 (phew!!!!).
Now, before everyone moans "What! More money!", he is doing the right thing and honouring the orders already placed AT THE ORIGINAL PRICE for a board that will be even better than the 8 pre-production/demo boards.

Furthermore, ANY order placed BEFORE 24TH MARCH 2008, will be at the old price ie. $260 in the US, 175 Euros plus VAT = 206 Euros, £130 Sterling plus VAT = £152.75
- so if you were thinking about it, get on the case! This price is held till the 24th March so it would have been available at that price for at least a month.

After that day it will move to the normal price of £160 plus any appropriate taxes and exchange rates.In the US, as you don't pay VAT they will be approx $320.
This is his Statement that went out to those who had already ordered:

“Due to the unprecedented response and demand for these decks we have decided to re structure our build program to deliver in the quantity and quality that you deserve. We are re-tooling so we can produce in a greater volume with even greater quality and unfortunately that creates a delay. We envisage starting producing decks using the new system from the first week in April and decks will be dispatched in sequence according to the date you ordered. We apologise for the delay and we are keen to get you to see and ride these new decks asap.

What changes are happening to the deck?
- Looking at carbon inserts, not nylon - even tougher AND lighter!
- The mounting holes will be formed at the time of manufacture NOT drilled afterwards, therefore maintaining a precision in slalom deck manufacture.
- The graphic will be under the topskin, not a sticker on top.
- The unique "Carbon Edge Wrap" (which delivers the power and torsional stiffness) will be smoother (this is under the grip, so you might not have seen it anyway.
- The finish on the top and bottom will be even better and flaw-free.

In a nutshell it will be perfect...As a thank you for your patience all existing orders will qualify for a 10% discount on the Hybrid/GS model which will be released later in the season.

Thank you for your patience and once again apologies for the delay we are confident that you will feel that it was worth the wait…………………”

Jeff Sacreé
GeckoDecks

Now, with more CAD modelling, a new mold etc., this will, as Jeff says,cause a slight delay, but the decks will start to be delivered at the beginning of April and will be made at the rate of one per day thereafter, going out in the order that they were ordered in.

Personally, I think a brave decision and the right one. I feel like its all my fault...all I wanted to do was order a custom deck ;)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

2 weeks left...

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am

Martin Drayton wrote: Furthermore, ANY order placed BEFORE 24TH MARCH 2008, will be at the old price ie. $260 in the US, 175 Euros plus VAT = 206 Euros, £130 Sterling plus VAT = £152.75
- so if you were thinking about it, get on the case! This price is held till the 24th March so it would have been available at that price for at least a month.

Just under two weeks to go...Jeff says thanks to those who have now also ordered. We will be forming a "Club" for Gecko owners, so that they are kept in the loop as things progress.
They will receive up-to-date info on new releases before anyone else with the opportunity to purchase at special rates as a thank you for being one of the 'early adoptors'. Limited Edition T-shirt deals, requests for input on future models/features, a chance to post their pics in action with their Geckos and a chance to test out future decks early...just thinking up a name for it, as the initials for Gecko Owners Club wouldn't go down well...;)

Martin.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 am

Thin Lizzard?

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

;)

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 pm

robert gaisek wrote:Thin Lizzard?
That will be a perfekt name!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

A rose, sorry, lizard by any other name...

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm

robert gaisek wrote:Thin Lizzard?
Hmmm...Like it! How about "Lounge Lizards"?

Toby Warg

Post by Toby Warg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Gecko Owners Group? ;)

What about The Dragons? (Thinking of Komodo Dragons).

justin collins

Post by justin collins » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 pm

hey martin,
do can you post some side shots of the superlight board? Thanks,
Justin
ride with the kings
http://www.sk8kings.com/

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Profile shots...

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm

No problem...These pics are deliberately huge so that you can really see the detail as you can't see one in the flesh Justin.
Here you can see that the rail is wrapped in carbon, its not just a hard edge cut....a result of the Carbon Edge Wrap Technology. Not only does this make the board torsionally stiffer in its carbon frame, but very resistant to edge damage...gone are the days of "Turner Anguish" as you board gets dropped on its rail or heads towards the kerb!

In this shot you can see the subtle contours of the deck. Note: this is standard grip tape on the PROTO, not the shoe-eating version optional on the production boards. All other pics are the pre-production model "003", my ride!

Here is a nose profile shot...

Same for the tail...

Hope this helps,

Martin.

ps. And remember as the post higher up says....The Production boards will be even better!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Martin - can you confirm my order has been received through the contact form on the Gecko website?

I'm pumped about the final tweaks...and as for the wait, I'm still on snow until April 15th anyway.

Has Jeff ever considered making racing snowboards???
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Gecko Snowboards.

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:58 pm

You're good Rick, don't worry!
As for snowboards....Hmmmm...Lets get him to build some GS/Hybrid decks first, maybe a few DH boards and some Longboards....then, if he has any money left, I say "Hell Yeah!"

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks Martin.

Gecko snowboards...oh yeah....the money thing. :-(

Can't wait to see the HY/GS!
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Gecko Superlight Offer ends at midnight!

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:53 am

Hi Guys,

The special introductory offer on the Gecko's ends at midnight, so if you were thinking of getting one, it makes sense to do it before the price goes up (to a more realistic price for what it is...)!
http://www.geckodecks.com/ordering-info.php
Happy Easter!

Take care,

Martin.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:50 pm

Guys I rode and competed on the Gecko deck you sent to Pete and the Texas Outlaws this last weekend for the Cold Fusion Sizzler 3.

Pete showed me the demo deck you sent him. I rode it for 30 seconds then entered the TS on it. I finished 5th place overall in the open class. Not bad huh for feet on deck first time in a competitive environment…in my condition anyway (I was aiming for third place but alas no steam left in the motor)! Imagine what a skater in shape and 25 years younger could do.

Send my deck – Hurry please!!! Viva Gecko!!
LAVIN

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Hmm!

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:27 am

That's pretty impresive Steve. For both you and Gecko. Maybe even just a guy in shape. :) I'll have to find one to try.

Probably still not enough tail raise for me but it sure does look sweet, EH!
Many Happy Pumps!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

From the Seaside with love...

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm

A little postcard from the Seaside...
Photo by Bish.

Martin.

Miguel Marco

Re: Hmm!

Post by Miguel Marco » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Claude Regnier wrote:Probably still not enough tail raise for me but it sure does look sweet, EH!
Dude, you're a freak... ;) :D

Boards look absolutly amazing Martin! :)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:16 am

Miguel Marco wrote: Boards look absolutly amazing Martin! :)
Thanks Mig, high praise indeed coming from you! The photo was the closest we could get to a Dogtown-type Pier shot ;)
Hopefully you'll see one in the flesh before too long, Rick Floyd has one coming , plus our new US Team rider should be showing up at some East Coast races this summer...

Martin.

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Martin Drayton wrote: Hopefully you'll see one in the flesh before too long, Rick Floyd has one coming , plus our new US Team rider should be showing up at some East Coast races this summer...

Martin.
Great, that means I might get to see one in the flesh. Any hints on who this racer is?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Gary Saenz wrote:
Martin Drayton wrote: Hopefully you'll see one in the flesh before too long, Rick Floyd has one coming , plus our new US Team rider should be showing up at some East Coast races this summer...

Martin.
Great, that means I might get to see one in the flesh. Any hints on who this racer is?
Lets just say he is no stranger to the podium...He's an Am, and most of those above him in the rankings last year are now Pro...
Plus we look to be signing a top Brit Am too who is charging up the rankings...news soon!

Martin

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Paris!

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:18 am

So Martin, any chance you coming to Paris?

Freak, Freak? Well, well, blah, blah, blah, it takes one to know one :) :) :) So there, nana nana na naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I ought to put you over my knee, oh nevermind :)

C-U when I get back from Europe Mig!
Many Happy Pumps!

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 am

Martin Drayton wrote:Lets just say he is no stranger to the podium...He's an Am, and most of those above him in the rankings last year are now Pro...
Well, it's either The Duque or Karl. They're the only americans in the top 10 who haven't turned Pro, I think... :D

Miguel Marco

Re: Paris!

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:24 am

Claude Regnier wrote:C-U when I get back from Europe Mig!
Cool!!! We may be having an outlaw at the Fortress on April 26th, followed by the premiere of the Krispy Hill Racing Team 2007 season DVD.

Miguel Marco

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:26 am

Martin Drayton wrote:Hopefully you'll see one in the flesh before too long, Rick Floyd has one coming , plus our new US Team rider should be showing up at some East Coast races this summer...
If Rick has one, then I'll be seeing it often this summer... :D

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

April 26th

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:38 am

I will be in COSSLAND!
Many Happy Pumps!

Miguel Marco

Re: April 26th

Post by Miguel Marco » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:56 am

Claude Regnier wrote:I will be in COSSLAND!
Well... I'd rather be there too! :D

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 am

Miguel Marco wrote:
Martin Drayton wrote:Lets just say he is no stranger to the podium...He's an Am, and most of those above him in the rankings last year are now Pro...
Well, it's either The Duque or Karl. They're the only americans in the top 10 who haven't turned Pro, I think... :D
You'll know pretty soon....As the Fly said..."Be afraid, be very afraid"...Well, someone has to challenge the Fullbag attempt at World Domination ;) !
Claude Regnier wrote:So Martin, any chance you coming to Paris?

Freak, Freak? Well, well, blah, blah, blah, it takes one to know one :) :) :) So there, nana nana na naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I ought to put you over my knee, oh nevermind :)

C-U when I get back from Europe Mig!
Sadly no chance, as the Green card stuff is getting near its completion (after 5 years) we will need all our pennies for flights, Lawyer fees, house selling fees etc. In addition I almost lost my Father recently, so we are trying to squeeze a family trip to Trinidad before too long.

I was actually talking to Paul Price last night about it, and I haven't raced there since the Euros in '80! REALLY wish I could be there...

Martin.

ps.Sorry about the 'Fro....and the shorts!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Good Luck!

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:20 pm

Martin sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure all the other stuff is adding up to large $$$.

You still have lots of time. You'll make it back to Paris for a race don't worry be happy :) Hope you get a chance to visit your dad before too long.

Maybe I'll see you stateside at some point later this year. As Mb and I are planing for next years party trip we are looking into those nice hills and roads recently posted in the UT thread.

Talk soon and Good Luck to everyone.

Don't worry Mig, you'll be traveling to races that I will be at home missing :(
Many Happy Pumps!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Prices...

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Funny how we think stuff was so much cheaper 'back in the day'....
From another forum on this site:

Doug Fox wrote:
Hey Wes or anybody else. Just out of curiosity, What was the retail cost for a Turner from Bobby or skate/surf shop back in the 70's?
$80 for a CutAway and $100 for a Full Nose.

According to the online inflation calculator (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/) that is $270.08 and $338.50 today compared to 1978.

I never saw (or paid) another advertised price between 1978 and 1982.

I am not 'comparing' the Gecko to the Holy Grail that is Turner, but it does put cost into perspective...

Martin.