Gecko Superlight MD Limited Edition SL model - photos...

Gecko Slalom Boards

Moderator: Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Gecko Superlight MD Limited Edition SL model - photos...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:39 pm

The proto rode so well, it felt like 'home' from the first moment I rode it...Well, its my signature model design, so I guess it should!!!

Unbelievably light at 550 grams (the previous one I've been riding is 650), it makes the old Gecko feel heavy when you compare them. I have developed the shape via my Turner Eurofighter design and various customs built by Roe, with inspiration from Richy Carrasco and Paul Price mostly. I am super happy with the shape now with plenty of room for my back foot.

It had awesome acceleration and the torsional stiffness AND the superlight weight make it VERY RESPONSIVE. This is a feature of the nose shape too, resulting in a deck that is lively without feeling tippy when mounted with a normal slalom-width truck. It is perfect for anyone up to about 240lbs. This is the "Limited Edition" version, there will be a slightly heavier (still under 600g) "Standard" model even more beefed-up for our heavier brethren
Gecko were considering putting out an even lighter model with a new revolutionary core, but there seems to be little point at the moment because it would push the price up and not be a massive amount lighter....but they will one day! Pricewise it will be the same or just a fraction more than the rest of the foam cores out there, but we feel that it is worth it. This construction has been tested for the last 18 months, refined, and this is the final version.

There will be a limited production run hopefully with boards available for sale late January. We already have a very cool, yet discreet graphic for the deck too incorporating the signature sticker on the deck now.
I'm happy, its the best board I have EVER ridden...

Dimensions: 30" long, 8.75" at the widest part, 7.75" at the waist and a nice fat 8" at the tail. The board is drilled at 18 & 19" wheelbases.This is it with the deck taped.

It weighs in at 550 grams.

Here it is mounted before riding at London's Hyde Park. GOG's fitted with Khiro bushings and hardware,and Seismic Wheels fitted with Nitro bearings complete the set-up.The base will not be as you see it, the production version will be glossier (not quite the mirror finish of the top), more like the old Geckos, plus we are working on a little surprise too, to further set the board apart.

Is it a sign?

Top sheet shot...

Contact Jeff at Gecko, info@geckodecks.com if you are interested, he has already started a list of buyers! If you have any doubts about this board, just wait til you get one in your hands...and under your feet!
Last edited by Martin Drayton on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 pm

give me a price!

Spike Taylor

Got to have one!

Post by Spike Taylor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Whoaaaa! Looks RAD, think I'll wait til Jan, put me down for one too. Its the second most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Ask me girlfriend what the first is ;)
FUN-is the bottom line!

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

mine....

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:48 pm

lol sign me up for number one!!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: mine....

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Pelle Gustafsson wrote:lol sign me up for number one!!
Glad you like it Pelle! Send an e-mail to Jeff at Gecko, info@geckodecks.com and get him to take your name.
Don't leave it too long, you are pretty far already from being number 1 ,quite a few of the British boys are already on the list plus a couple of Americans, we are really pleased with the response.
Spike too, glad to have you onboard, we need a Northern prescence!
Last edited by Martin Drayton on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trish erickson

Biigger version?

Post by trish erickson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:19 am

Hey Martin,

I am loving my first generation TS Gecko. What about a hybrid/ GS version? I would love to get my hands on something like that. Put me on the list for that!

Hope to see ya soon here in the states. I can't wait to out on the snow and give snowboarding a try again this year.
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: Bigger version?

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:33 am

trish erickson wrote:Hey Martin,

I am loving my first generation TS Gecko. What about a hybrid/ GS version? I would love to get my hands on something like that. Put me on the list for that!

Hope to see ya soon here in the states. I can't wait to out on the snow and give snowboarding a try again this year.
Hi Trish,
I have already done a template for a Hybrid/GS model with a 20, 21 & 22" wheelbase to be a bit of a "quiver-killer", this way you can cover all disciplines (on either side of the Atlantic!) with 2 boards, but we have to do one thing at a time...patience, you know I will be pushing fo it!

Oh, one thing I forgot when talking about the features...Gecko put nylon inserts/plugs in their boards that they drill through for the mounting holes. This means no water ingress but also the ability to tighten your trucks down without worrying about pulling through the deck - pretty cool!

Hopefully catch up with you Trish before too long and then some serious training - brace yourself!

No, the poster is extra...

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 am

An extremely nice looking board!!

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:29 am

Looks lurvely, Martin! And the board looks pretty good, too... :-)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:33 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Casa Gecko! Hope you get everything you want from Santa....put a new Gecko deck on your list and if you are good, you'll get it in January!

Sk8 safe and may the New Year bring us more races, more good equipment and fun for all!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 am

Pelle, check your PM's.

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

;)

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:51 am

Thanx......

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Due to recent chats with other manufacturers, I'm definately in for one too! Sent you a private message Martin.

Spike.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Newcastle brown Ale...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks, welcome aboard Spike. Hopefully we'll get to skate together when you're ankles better!

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:52 pm

very good choice spike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trish erickson

gecko snowboard!

Post by trish erickson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Hey Martin,

I can take it a step further. How about a Gecko snowboard! Boarded yesteday. Had 4 ft. of fresh powder.....first tracks. I had to use a snorkel! Man, what a blast.

hope to see ya soon,

Utah trish
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Re: gecko snowboard!

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:36 pm

trish erickson wrote:Hey Martin,

I can take it a step further. How about a Gecko snowboard! Boarded yesteday. Had 4 ft. of fresh powder.....first tracks. I had to use a snorkel! Man, what a blast.

hope to see ya soon,

Utah trish
I'm super jealous Trish! This is the first full season I've missed doing since 1994 and the first season without snow since 1984....bummed :(
Good for you, make the most of it and get some turns in for Julie, Maya and me!
Love to Greg and the family, hopefully see you before the summer is out, just about to put in the second application..."Alien of Outstanding Ability", keep your fingers crossed!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:58 pm

robert gaisek wrote:An extremely nice looking board!!
Hey Robert, at the Gothenburg Indoor race, you can try one! Jeff will also have some for sale, drop him a line at jeff@geckodecks.com for more info!
Looking forward to meeting you there!

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Looking foreward to that! I also like to have some Gecko in the exhibition "SKATEBOARDS" at the Röhss Designmuseum next summer. Check your mailbox in a week or two. See you in Gothenburg.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:Looks lurvely, Martin! And the board looks pretty good, too... :-)
Thanks JBH and Paul Graf for your inspiration, you should see the finished results any day now...

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Demo boards to try...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:02 pm

News from Gecko's Head Honcho Jeff...

There should be 3 pre-production Decks (as opposed to prototypes for testing) at the Cadwell Race. At least one of them will be set up for anyone to take out for a spin.
The demo board will be mounted with a "Skennet" front and an RT-S rear, to give a fairer approximation of what most people are using and to allow you to better assess the deck.I'll have one mounted with GOG's too.
The finished product will be cosmetically "prettier", but it will give you a flavour of the boards.

The full-blown production version will be unveiled at the Gothenburg Indoor Comp. One of these production decks will be sent as a prize to a rider of Jeff's choice,for either "Highest placed unsponsored Am" or "Most improved rider". The former is more likely as the overseas Am's are more of an unknown quantity.A Certificate will be awarded on the day to that effect.
There are some new improved features, not on the original proto that those at Cadwell will see first, so I won't spoil the surprise. Just suffice to say, one of them is pretty unique on a production board.
See you there, photos here in a few days...

Martin Drayton
Team Gecko.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:03 am

Martin - I want to order a deck - printed your instrusctions on how to do so from the other thread here. Doubling up with a post - don't want to miss out...an I too late?

-Rick
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:37 am

Rick Floyd wrote:Martin - I want to order a deck - printed your instrusctions on how to do so from the other thread here. Doubling up with a post - don't want to miss out...an I too late?

-Rick
Thats great Rick,
I called the office and you are still good. Just follow the instructions and either e-mail today or call on Monday, remember the time difference! I think from the East Coast we are 5 hours ahead.
Yours will be one of a few in that neck of the woods!
Enjoy....It'll feel like a super nimble yet stable Alpine board!

Martin.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 pm

MMMMM...I LIKE super nimbe, stable, alpine boards!!

Thanks for the info Martin. Will do.

Thr Gecko seems like the most "form follows function" design out there right now - and the form ain't half bad neither! ;-)
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:21 pm

Here's more info and photos of the Gecko decks,Article on Silverfish.
I ride fast boards, slowly.

Doug Kadzban

Re: Bigger version?

Post by Doug Kadzban » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:12 pm

Martin Drayton wrote:
No, the poster is extra...
i like that mini there...how much would that cost?
I like my women like I like my trucks:
TALL, loose, and squeaky!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:48 am

Hi Doug, drop Gecko a line at info@geckodecks.com I think they still have some. If you go to the current website, http://www.geckodecks.com there is a link to the old site where you can see details of the deck.

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Can you please bring the girl to Gothenburg? Please?

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

I should have told her....sorry!

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Damn! I forgot to tell her about it....She is always muttering something about looking for a nice Scandinavian man to spend a wild weekend with...Apparently she really likes slightly older men too, something about 'more experience'.
Well, maybe next time?

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:50 pm

i want her too... after the board... ;)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Pelle Gustafsson wrote:i want her too... after the board... ;)
At least you have your priorities right!!!!

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

yes

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:18 pm

you dont finde a girl whith the shape like a gecko,and you will never ride a girl like you ride this bord.... ever :)

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Happy Birthday Martin

Post by Paul Price » Mon May 05, 2008 11:12 am

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW SIGNATURE MODEL BOARD MARTIN!

I have of course ordered one for my collection.

And Happy Birthday to my best buddy Martin Drayton today 5th May, we've been skateboarding and snowboarding together for a long time, its been a blast.

Cheers to you Martin.

Keep on truckin!!!

Robert Gaisek
Robo
Robo

Post by Robert Gaisek » Mon May 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Happy Birthday Martin!

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed May 07, 2008 2:16 am

Happy Belated !!!
A Gentleman's gentleman for certain!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Thanks!

Post by Martin Drayton » Wed May 07, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys....Old slalomers never die, they just roll a little slower!

Martin