Welcome Peter Metzger to CHIxILL

CHIxILL Slalom Skateboards

Moderators: Chris Favero, Chris Novatny

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Welcome Peter Metzger to CHIxILL

Post by Stephen Lavin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:07 am

Please join me in welcoming a noob (I say that with much love BTW) slalom skater and college student to the ranks of the ISSA and midwest skate scene. I will be taking Pete two decks and some cones this weekend so he can start getting ready for the '09 season and he could use a ride to Texas for the Sizzler if anyone is sliding past or near South Bend on the way (maybe you Kill City Boys??).

Pete is no stranger to longboard skating but slalom is new to him and I think he's hooked.

Welcome Pete!
LAVIN

Larry Schild

Post by Larry Schild » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:02 am

I've chatted with Peter, and I think I can get him down to the Sizzler with me.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Larry that would be cool. Southwest flights are $107 one-way currently just FYI. I'm sure we can find him transportation once there and a room to sleep in...

Peter is practicing with a CHIxILL Midnight Special and an AXE 1 I dropped off for him. I think he will have a blast if we can get him down there.

LAVIN
LAVIN

Larry Schild

Post by Larry Schild » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 am

Tell me about the Midnight Special.
I'm picking one up and I think it's gonna rock!
How different is it from the Sled?

I'm a 40 year old virgin, but I figures with Peter to split the gas and maybe a room, we'll do alight. I'm figuring about $160 in gas total. Not too bad.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:45 am

Larry,

the Midnite Special is slightly concave and cambered... I foam wedged the rails and cut a wedge kicktail for it and loved it!!

The Sled Zep is as full shaped in front as the Special with a trimmer tail
and has a rather aggressive "warp" style kicktail... this was a dream deck of mine and
Cfav made it happen!!

Both shapes are pretty light as far as wood decks go. The formica bottom ply giving good snap to either design... (I'm 190lbs) also, all three Formica skinned ChiXill decks I have are as straight as can be after 3 winters in the garage...... I know, SHAME ON ME!!

Feel free to PM if you want some more info....

Tod

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 am

Nobody better than Tod to layup and explain the sled. Tod's concept of the sled off the midnight special I think worked really well. You see Tod had this board once... well a Roe S-camber that he liked a whole lot, he let me ride it once... Tod can explain better but I think that Roe was too small but it had the low rear higher front that begged the rider to drive from the rear. Tod knew how to work that shape as a rider.

Anyway I think Tod way improved on both designs the MS and that Roe (maybe not in materials but in 3 dimensions) then threw in a little of that tail and truck magic that was/is working so well. The tail helps you plant the foot to drive more from the back. What came out was the Sled Zep. Although I like the MS much I prefer the Sled for Hybrid and GS. Tod is a very technical skater and I know I am making this sound simple but sure he agonized over just how he wanted it.

I drilled my MS back another 1/2" in the tail and went a full 1" forward in the front. What's nice about the wood is you can do this w/o much worry for structure and strength. The MS is more all-around long board and the Sled a bit more specialized. We got the MS going very fast in Texas for 33" and it is a serious deck. Chris picked a real good ply combo with formica that keeps the board light with just the right flex I think anyway.

Anyway, hope we helped a bit with your question :)

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=4885

LAVIN
Last edited by Stephen Lavin on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAVIN

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:59 am

It's a piece of wood, right?

I'm just askin' . . .

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 am

Killjoy... ;P
LAVIN

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:It's a piece of wood, right?

I'm just askin' . . .
How apropos from an Ick owner. Have another sip of single malt and a cigar.... :-)

How ya been ???

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Well allll right Peter - see what a little bit of Slalom skateboard networking will do for ya!

Nice job SL - I'm stoked I sent him your way and he got such top-of-the-line treatment!

Jack S. - if you happen to read this...this guy (Peter) got stoked on slalom when he read the Nats article on TSJ, contacted me, and I sent him to his local slalom crowd...very nice!

Rip it up Peter - hope to see you at the Sizzler!!

-RF
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Larry Schild

Post by Larry Schild » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:39 am

Hahaha, the board that I picked up is actually a Sled Zep.
It didn't have the graphic on it, but now I see with the S camber, it is the Sled.
It's awesome!

Nice job guys!!!

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:29 am

Glad you like it Larry!
do you have it set up yet??

Larry Schild

Post by Larry Schild » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:50 am

Skennett Front, "skandal-ish" rear, 66mm zigs.
I gotta get some more wedges, but this thing is SWEET!

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:33 am

Yup, That'll work!!
Get rid of the rugs and skate the hardwood... :-)

Peter Metzger

Post by Peter Metzger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:49 am

Shoot fellas, I haven't kept up on this site since I signed up and just now came across this thread. Thanks for all the (manly and heterosexual!) love, guys!!

I've mostly been riding the AXE I deck you brought over and my buddy Daniel has been riding the CHIxILL, which I've only been on a few times. Once we have some longer bolts on the CHIxILL it will be a better setup and I'll probably ride it more, haha... I'm on spring break right now and have the AXE home with me along with the cones Steve loaned to me. The AXE I is currently set up with the same truck/bushing combo it came with, but I have 72mm 75a sector 9 top shelf wheels in the front and 66mm 78a zigs in the back. I like it pretty well but I still think my favorite setup so far may have been the Pink seven-oh's in the front with lime 70mm zigs in the back. we'll see...

I'm planning to be at the Chicago Cone Crusher on March 21, I guess it will be a good first race for me and kind of a warm-up before the Texas Sizzler. I'm a little nervous about that one but it'll probably be ok.
I'm new here.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 am

Yeah Peter,

Glad you joined in on your hi-jacked thread :-)

Have no worries about Texas, they're a great bunch of hosts
and will be glad to show you some (manly and heterosexual!) love I'm sure...
hehehe

later, T.O.

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:17 am

LOL...just beware of the Mexicans and Canadians...they are "different"!! ;-)

Peter - just as a general rule...harder wheels in front for speed / softer in rear for grip when pumping. And if you mix sizes, put the smaller wheels in front because they will turn faster/easier - and don't forget to adjust risers so the deck is near level.

-Rick
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 am

And never wear a brown belt with black pants.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Rick Floyd wrote:And if you mix sizes, put the smaller wheels in front because they will turn faster/easier - and don't forget to adjust risers so the deck is near level.

-Rick
Rick is right about the international peeps and the hard wheels front/soft rear. I have to respectfully sneeze on the small wheel front stuff if mixing sizes. It's time's like these you find the old guys don't no jack (this includes me...).

Richy gave me a hint on a course once that made a difference; using all Zigs same size at all 4 corners I put a softer zig toe-side and a harder front heel. Did exact opposite in the rear and it helped me in a tight course.

Larger front wheels (and in mm's under 5 to 3mm diff front to back) will give you speed and mass (greater momentum) in a course that is not too tight IMO. Keep in mind it's an opinion like Rick's. What works for some does not always work for others... The idea here is those larger front wheels will "pull through" the smaller ones and you will still achieve front wheel speeds over all. I am typically more concern with "bringing in the rear" (I don't want to hear any dumb jokes on that quote now) using smaller wheels and maybe even a narrower truck than the front.

Also..., yeah I'm not done..., sometimes with a slightly lower geometry in the rear you can drive or dig in better. You can achieve a lower rear w/o regard for wheel size obviously, just mentioning that also. The Sled Zep deck works best this way I think.

To each his own and BTW, Rick has been faster than me lately but that will be changing this season ;)

LAVIN
LAVIN

Larry Schild

Post by Larry Schild » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:07 am

So Tod, are you going to come to the race in Batavia on March 21st and show me how I'm supposed to use one of these?

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:28 am

Sure, but be forewarned of the bar bill...

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Stephen Lavin wrote:To each his own and BTW, Rick has been faster than me lately but that will be changing this season ;)

LAVIN
So...you are leaving Masters for Open class...Bring it on Gecko boy! :-p)

I'm on all Fullbags this year BTW...the Gecko is around for flatter tight courses until it sells.

In Southern Canada we put the small wheels on front because they cut through the snow better.

-RF

Peter Metzger

Post by Peter Metzger » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 pm

I've liked the way it felt with larger front wheels as compared to all even wheels, but haven't tried a larger-back-wheels setup yet, probably will today/tomorrow. After that I want to settle into a setup if possible so I can get used to it before the Chicago/Batavia race on Saturday.

I'm planning to ride the AXE I that Steve brought me in that race, it looks like my friend Daniel will be able to make it and he'll be riding the CHIxILL Midnight Special. We haven't settled on the best setup yet but it'll be an RTx/s combo, probably with his 70mm Lime Zigs in the front and a pair of my 72mm 75a S9 'top shelf' wheels in the rear. I may run the same wheel setup on mine, but we'll see.

Thanks for all the support guys, I'm looking forward to meeting more of you in Chicago and/or Texas!
I'm new here.

Larry Schild

Post by Larry Schild » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:39 am

Tod Oles wrote:Sure, but be forewarned of the bar bill...
We changed the venue two blocks south.
Instead of ending up at a park, there's a liquor store at the bottom.
:-)

Peter Metzger

Post by Peter Metzger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:52 am

Hey everyone,

I just sent in the sanctioning application for the event I'm hosting in the fall... it will involve more than slalom but as far as you all are concerned it's a long-format single lane HS race with some 50-cone TS goodness thrown in as a bonus.

Watch for more info to start emerging on the internets soon, and mark your calendars for Mishawaka, IN on September 26, 2009. I'll be there on a chiXill, will you?

-peter
I'm new here.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Cool, I'll be in need of a road trip by then... keep us posted

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Peter,

Could I trouble you to snap a few pics of your proposed venue?

I don't want to be a pill but I've seen Indiana. Ice skating rinks have more grade than what I saw. Does it get "hillier" near the lake?

I'm not saying I'll be there because the end of September is a long way away. But maybe the proper photographic inducement will get me thinking about it?

Thanks.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 am

One other thing . . .

Just how deep is the snow that late in September?

Peter Metzger

Post by Peter Metzger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 am

Hey all,

I apologize for not seeing your messages earlier, I actually forgot I dropped a note about the race in this thread!

http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=439

Pictures aren't available at the moment as I've been in Washington all summer. However, I'm flying home tomorrow and will try to get pictures up on Tuesday. I should also have a flyer together pretty soon as I'll have access to Photoshop once I get back to school.

I admit, there's not much elevation change around here but it is hillier than my hometown in northwest ohio :) The TS will be basically flat, the long-format HS will be on a modest hill, but still a hill. When I straight-bomb it it's probably a "20mph" hill but if you're pumping down it you could maybe pull a little more speed out of it?

The weather should be decent still - snow doesn't usually show up until mid-late October at the very earliest. The weather is highly variable in late September but I would expect something in the 60's Fahrenheit.

If you have any questions, post them up here or shoot me an email - metzger.peter (at) gmail.com

Thanks,
Peter
I'm new here.