THURSDAY NIGHT SESSIONS-Starting 25th May 2006-All welcome!

Slalom Skateboarding in Utah and surrounding states

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Martin Drayton

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

THURSDAY NIGHT SESSIONS-Starting 25th May 2006-All welcome!

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu May 25, 2006 5:11 am

This Thursday will be the 1st of our regular evening sessions. Normally there is someone there from 6pm onwards.
Just for this week i will be there from 5pm as I have to leave early (Its our 2nd Anniversary and part of my present is getting to skate that evening at all!-Julie's idea, I wasn't going to skate at all!)

The sessions will be at the Eagle Pointe Hill - our home from home... For directions call 435-513-1280.

See ya there!

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

IMPORTANT! POSSIBLE CHANGE OF VENUE?

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:13 am

This week we had another cool session, and the develpoer passed by again, wishing us well and actually sweeping the road HOWEVER they have started excavation work on 2 of the lots. One is up where we park, so not a problem. The other is half way down on the right, so there is some periodic earth spillage.
Also some of their vehicles seem to be leaking oil on the road...this is bad. I had to be pretty creative with course-setting to avoid all the oil spills!

So what do we do UPC? Should we keep going for now and scout new spots in the meantime? Do we fancy a little break and try some flatland again?-This would be good for pumping skills and newbies. The spot I have found is one of the many car parks at the new Redstone Complex at Kimball Junction...butter smooth pavement....What do you guys think?

trish erickson

pump, pump, pump!

Post by trish erickson » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:04 am

Yep, I for one need to work on my pumping skills. Just pick the place Martin and I'm sure we will be there.
ts

miKe M

Post by miKe M » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:18 pm

so do we have any thoughts on a possible new venue? are we still looking for hills in the park city area, or should we expand the search a little further? i'm sure there are plenty of canyon roads surrounding park city that would lend to slaloming....

what about that first small town/ development you see as you turn off I-80 on the way to heber? any developments there we could poach for a while, or are we trying to keep it near a city to lend easy to newcomers?

i'm 89% sure i'll be up there thursday.

kevin- i'm sorry you didn't hook up with us saturday. should i paypal you the money, or will you make a drive down here thursday night?

laters,

Mike

Jared Quilter

Post by Jared Quilter » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:47 pm

My vote is to try a flat parking lot in the Kimball Junction area for a few weeks. This will give beginners a chance to tune their skills, then as the summer progresses move to hills.

trish erickson

parking lot cone fest

Post by trish erickson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Welcome Jared!

I agree, lets shoot for the Junction this Thursday. Lets set up a long course as well. I have been checking out the videos for the Nationals and Mnt. Hood. I need to push a longer course if I hope to finish the courses!

Trish
ts

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Flatland...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:24 am

OK guys,
lets try the Parking lot nearest to the new Zion's bank at Redstone (Kimball Junction). When you turn onto the 224 off the I-80, take the 1st left onto the Frontage Road (1st right is towards MacDonalds). I think its called New main St.
Go across the 4 way junction, you'll see Zions on your left and the car park on the right. our back-up location is a long car park just past the bank in front of a row of new pretty uninhabited houses.
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr= ... name=&qty=
IF YOU CAN'T FIND EITHER VENUE CALL ME ON 435-513-1280 WHEN YOU GET TO THE JUNCTION and I'll talk you in...

Chris Peddecord

Post by Chris Peddecord » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:13 am

Pictures are up on the 'fish at this link:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... post383469

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

How worthwhile? PRICELESS!

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:19 am

Firstly thanks to Kevin for trekking all that way AND bringing his timing gear. I think everyone learnt a lot about their set-ups, wheel speed related to size, wheelbases and what goes fast opposed to what feels fast...I know I did!

It was cool to see so many people out at a really worthwhile session, but unexpected benefits are already coming from the get together...
1) The General Manager of the Newpark Complex says not only are they building an 80,000 sq.ft. lot for retail, a hotel and housing, BUT HE WANTS US TO SKATE THERE!!!!!!! He would like to sponsor races as he thinks we are the sort of cool event that will generate interest and steal some of the original Main Street's thunder!
2) The head of Skullcandy http://www.skullcandy.com/ was watching and said as a local company that they want to get involved too with individual and race sponsorship. I had a meeting with him today and he is as good as his word! How big is the company? They are making all the in helmet entertainment for BURTON & GIRO! That big enough for you?

Those of us that were there at the very end were talking about this years comp... Hmmmm

TO BE CONTINUED UNDER "A BIG RACE IN PARK CITY '06"....
viewtopic.php?t=3152

Kevin Hornibrook

Thursday slalom session.

Post by Kevin Hornibrook » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:33 pm

I've been out of the UPC loop for a while due to a relapse of the pnuemonia that I've had for the last six weeks.
I feel good enough to skate a bit now, and next thursday (7/13), Bob and I will be coming down to skate with the UPC crew.
Hopefully, we'll be back at the hill by then, but if folks want to ride the Redstone flats, that would be O.K. too.
With any luck, the timing system is being repaired at Brower, and it will be ready for action by the 13th.
PEACE,
Kevin Hornibrook

Bob Harper

Post by Bob Harper » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Added to Kevins coment think about UPC shirts. It sounds like Mike has the connection, if not I do for shure @ $7.00 per shirt any thing 2x and up is a dollar or two extra. We need to get on it qwick so they can be done in time for Nationals. I'll call Mike and find out what he knows and and post it under UPC shirts.
Later
[/u]

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Redstone...I guess!

Post by Martin Drayton » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:52 am

Hi Kevin & Bob,

Ran into a whole bunch of people, locals and visitors, who are headed to Redstone this Thursday...if thats OK? If I get a chance, I will swing by the Hill before then to see what state it is in (gravel & oil last time). You are right though, we DEFINATELY need to hit some hills in preparation for the Nationals!

Kevin Hornibrook

Post by Kevin Hornibrook » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:45 pm

Howdy folks,
Bob and I won't be able to make it down tonight, but we are planning on trying to train on a hill up here in Cache valley sometime this weekend.
If anybody wants to ride with us, give me a call or e-mail and we can set a time to meet for a session.
See you soon,
Kevin (435) 753-1739

trish erickson

logan session

Post by trish erickson » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:09 am

Hey Kevin,

I have your cones and I am willing to bring them to Logan on sunday. If anyone wants to go to Logan, give me a shout. They have a killer hill that is really nice.
ts

Kevin Hornibrook

Post by Kevin Hornibrook » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:26 am

Howdy,
Any luck locating a nice hill for Thursdays UPC session?
We are planning on a weekend session up here in Cache valley, my tendonitis seems to
have subsided, and Bob is really stoked to ride.
There is a huge chip-seal program up here this summer , but we still have a few hills that
are unscathed.
Today I set a course on a nice steep hill where speed check slides were obligatory,
kinda fun, but very hard on the rear wheels, and the lower back muscles.
Later skaters,
Kevin

trish erickson

no session for me tonight

Post by trish erickson » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:39 pm

Hey UPcr's,

It's Agust 3 and I won't be skating tonight. There is a Farmers Market in Heber tonight and they are having a local band playing tonight. I really want to go so I am skipping tonight. I am making up for it by driving to Logan on Saturday. Bob, and Kevin are going to set a course on a really cool hill. I will miss you all but I will eat some corn for ya!

see ya next week....unless you take the trek and go to Logan with me!
ts

Curt Chapman

Thursday Session

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Hey Y'all

Just wanted to check in and thank everyone for lettin' me come attempt to chase cones with ya.

Thanks to everyone (especially Jared and Tiff) for letting me leach gear to ride. Now that I'm addicted, I'll be buying my own ASAP.

So what's everyones opinion on wheel size for a newb like me just starting out wiggling?
66 or 70mm?

I figure some trackers, One of Jared and Tiff's custom decks, zig-zags.....

See you soon again hopefully......

Jared Quilter

Post by Jared Quilter » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Skully,

Sounds like you are addicted to the summer carve. Go big on the wheels, alpine guys love speed. The zig-zags are sweet. Be sure to get some risers and wedges when you get trucks. See you next time you make it up.

- Jared

Curt Chapman

Thursday

Post by Curt Chapman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 am

Anyone Skating this Thurs?

Curt Chapman

Thurs Nights (again)

Post by Curt Chapman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:07 pm

So are we done with the weekly get-togethers now that the race is done, and the snow is about to fly?

I still wanna skate.....

trish erickson

thursday nights

Post by trish erickson » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 pm

Hey all,

Just got a call from Martin. He can't skate tonight but I can swing by and pick up his cones and be at the lot between 430-500. If anybody wants to skate, come on out. My number is 435-671-1117.

Trish
ts

Curt Chapman

Thursdays, or any day.

Post by Curt Chapman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:24 pm

Looks like I missed everyone last night. I showed up late though...

I've finally broken down and purchased my own cones, (I don't have to keep stealing Martins now), so if anyone is ever interested in some cone chasing in the valley let me know.

I know of a few spots with new pavement, and good looking hills in South Jordan and Herriman, if anyone would like to make the trip out West sometime....

Or if anyone knows of some spots in West Valley for a quick lunch-time session, let me know also.