One More Thing about the Phase III Splitfire

Split-Fire Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Gary Fluitt

Paul Howard

One More Thing about the Phase III Splitfire

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:51 pm

One more thing: There no stop nut on the pivot screw I found it to have a very slight amount of play so I went to the hardware store and found a thin-enough nut and installed it to keep the pivot screw in place. Solid.

OK- One more thing, I also got a grade 8 3/8" bolt to replace the stock Randall Kingpin and put it in so the hex head is in the baseplate with the threads and nut sticking out on the end(like all other trucks)

Then I cut a shim out of a RedBull can to wedge into the kingpin hole in the baseplate to remove all the loose "wiggle" out of the kingpin/kingpin hole interface. The length was chosen so that there would be no threads in the areas of stress and cut to length with a hacksaw and filed to a 45 degree bevel on the end to clean up the tip. Like a Rock.

OK- I'm a geek, it comes from being a bowmaker I guess. Despite all my tinkering, I'm not complaining about this truck, I love my Phase I and there's no truck I haven't altered yet that I ride a lot.

Hmm, OK, I think that's about it for now. I just need to go out and actually RIDE it when the rain stops. -Paul
I just dig slalom!