Bearing stuck on 8 mm axle

Split-Fire Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Gary Fluitt

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Bearing stuck on 8 mm axle

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:30 am

i was mounting ousts to my new DS107 and one of the bearings got stuck in the middle of the axle, it's not going in or out, so I tried to put another bearing and it wouldn't pass the threaded part of the axle.

Are the ousts the problem or maybe this axle is a notch wider than 8mm?
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:20 am

I had the same problem with Pleasure Tools on my front splitfire (original model with the black crinkle finish).....both the bearing and a good spacer got jammed on it.....i just whapped them off with a hammer...probably not the best idea though...HUH!....thought it was just me...

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:59 pm

i had this problem the first day i got my hanger...ends up the speed ring got stuck in the threads, all you do is shake it a little and hit the wheel on something and the speed ring would come right out
No vestido para mi

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:14 pm

I wish that was all it was.....nope...nothing short of a hammer would get this thing off....just a small inconvenience for a nice truck

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:32 pm

If stock truck axles are never perfectly 8mm are bearings possibly smaller than 8mm?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:55 pm

Christopher Bara wrote:I wish that was all it was.....nope...nothing short of a hammer would get this thing off....just a small inconvenience for a nice truck
Yeah I had it really bad yesterday with a 107 splitfire. One person (140lbs) stood on the wheel and I pulled the board up to try and get the bearings off. I lifted my friend off the ground it was so tight. I ended up having to destroy 2 of my bearings while they were on the wheel just to remove them.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:34 pm

I had a similar problem with an Airflow OS truck, the outer bearing stuck on. i managed to lock 2 regulalr nuts together on the axle and wind the axle out of the hanger, enabling me to remove the wheel. then with the one bearing and axle, positioned the whole set ontop of a vice making sure the "inner race" was supported, then gave the axle a gently tap with a hammer....once the axle was removed i locctited it back into the hanger.

quick tip to stop it happening again, if you don't have acccess to a lathe, i would suggest using a battery drill ( so the rotation speed is LOW)

put on axle in the drill chuck, then gently squeeze the drill trigger so it doesn't wizz round at 9million RPM, then gently apply a bit of emery cloth looped over the Free end, do it for about a second or 2 at a time, and wipe off and test fit a bearing each time, this should just remove enough so the fit is still snugg without any "slop".

hope this helps

Paul K

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 pm

great idea!

one question: has anyone heard of the Split-Fire "D0" or "DO" 90mm hanger? thats what it says on mine and i have never heard of that model before. and for some reason i don't think the axle is 8mm, but i don't mind. i guess if it's slightly smaller than its fine because i won't be having the bearings problem. ;)

thanks
No vestido para mi

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:14 pm

Before you even mount your wheels, just put some oil or lube on the axle and you'll never get such problems!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks