back to the oldschool

Wefunk Slalom Boards

Moderator: Alex Luxat

Alex Luxat

back to the oldschool

Post by Alex Luxat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:49 pm

after experimenting with precious wood veneers like rosewood (palisander) and zebrawood (zebrano) i really dig those at the moment.
inspired by the powerful and elegant aesthetics of 50´s wooden speedboats i´ll call them after european lakes and yachting resorts.

i just clearpainted the first two new shapes:

- the "Lac Léman", a 88 cm tailkicker now with less camber but with a really mellow concave in the front and in the tail.
4 ply ash veneer, different glasses, final thin rosewood veneer

- the "Lago Maggiore", a 78 cm hybrid slalom shape also with slight concave in the front.
4 ply ash veneer, different glasses, glass and rosewood stringer beneath a final thin glass layer.
(this one will be very difficult to reproduce since i found ash and rosewood with matching nearly straight grain.)

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:51 pm

Pretty!!!

Like I can't imagine Sandra Bullock's naked a$$ looking any better than that
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:34 pm

You made me drool all over my keyboard.
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:06 pm

Thanks for the props guys!

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:35 pm

beautiful boards.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Post by Sam Gordon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:19 pm

Decks look great Alex! Think you ought to put one together with triple chrome outlet vents and ultra polished footstops a la Riva:

http://www.riva-world.com

By the way, did you photograph those decks with wet varnish by chance?

Sam

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:04 pm

Sam Gordon wrote:Decks look great Alex! Think you ought to put one together with triple chrome outlet vents and ultra polished footstops a la Riva:

http://www.riva-world.com

By the way, did you photograph those decks with wet varnish by chance?

Sam

yes, i did. but believe me they are as shiny dry.

i took the pic at an angle cause the reflection of the flash was too bright.

they are not even polished yet.
the grain of the rosewood comes out nicer and shinier with the kicktail deck cause there it is the final layer whereas it is behind a glass layer with the hybridslalom deck.

i´ll make some daylight shots tomorrow after polishing.

of course they are far from such perfection:

yeah, i know i wouldn´t be bored with 60 and some millions in my account. :)

btw: i found some reddish dark walnut veneer.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:36 pm

how about me showing you the way to get these suckers superglossy without using any laquers at all,not even polishing the decks afterwards?
you are kindly invited for a laminating session,if you want.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Poser!

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Ted Hall

Post by Ted Hall » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:35 am

Those are really beautiful decks, man! Your should be very pleased. I dig that old hardwood powerboat aesthetic, those things are awesome. Keep after it, brah! I love when something functional becomse so beautiful it becomse a work of art. I'm a fan of your stuff, and in fact I own one of your decks and absolutely love it, rides like magic.

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:33 am

Ted Hall wrote:Those are really beautiful decks, man! Your should be very pleased. I dig that old hardwood powerboat aesthetic, those things are awesome. Keep after it, brah! I love when something functional becomse so beautiful it becomse a work of art. I'm a fan of your stuff, and in fact I own one of your decks and absolutely love it, rides like magic.
Thanks Ted!
Which deck do you have? A Foamy? Bought at this Colorado All Sports shop or at Dan Gessmer directly? Glad that you like it!

cheers
alex

Ted Hall

Post by Ted Hall » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:36 am

Alex Luxat wrote:
Ted Hall wrote:Those are really beautiful decks, man! Your should be very pleased. I dig that old hardwood powerboat aesthetic, those things are awesome. Keep after it, brah! I love when something functional becomse so beautiful it becomse a work of art. I'm a fan of your stuff, and in fact I own one of your decks and absolutely love it, rides like magic.
Thanks Ted!
Which deck do you have? A Foamy? Bought at this Colorado All Sports shop or at Dan Gessmer directly? Glad that you like it!

cheers
alex
Hey Alex -- I have your 33" foamy -- super light weight with medium flex, just the right snap for me. Sweetest deck I've ever ridden, floats like a dream. I got it from Bola at All Boards Sports, although I know Dan Gessmer has a few of your decks, too.

Hey, let me ask you a question: My 16-year-old son smacked the nose up, ran it into a curb. The front is a tiny bit frayed, slightly delaminated. It's not a big ding, but I want to seal it up. How do you suggest I repair it? Some kind of resin or glue? And is there some edge protection I could get for the front & rear to protect it from future dings?

Many thanks --- Ted

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:00 am

Ted Hall wrote: Hey Alex -- I have your 33" foamy -- super light weight with medium flex, just the right snap for me. Sweetest deck I've ever ridden, floats like a dream. I got it from Bola at All Boards Sports, although I know Dan Gessmer has a few of your decks, too.

Hey, let me ask you a question: My 16-year-old son smacked the nose up, ran it into a curb. The front is a tiny bit frayed, slightly delaminated. It's not a big ding, but I want to seal it up. How do you suggest I repair it? Some kind of resin or glue? And is there some edge protection I could get for the front & rear to protect it from future dings?

Many thanks --- Ted
Hey Ted,

sure you can re-laminate the nosetip:
Use 2 component "5 minute epoxy" or any epoxy based fast curing 2 component glue you can get at a home depot or any hardware store.
Usually they are easy to mix 1:1 binder:hardener.
Glue the nose (eventually using a syringe).
Put cling film / plastic wrap on it as an anti adhesive and clamp beween wood blocks/boards.
That should do it.
You can then sand it after 12h or so.

You can get edge protection from either a shop that deals in custom-car supply or one that is specialized in rubber (like hoses, foam, etc.).
In germany it is called "edge protection", it´s like rubber coated metal clips in a ribbon and you can shorten it with pliers. It´s normally used like if you cut a sunroof in your car and so.
It comes for different thicknesses. Get a thicker one for 2-4 mm edges.

You just push it on and maybe gently hammer it into place.
It really clings to the deck if there is griptape.
I would suggest using a few drops of superglue if you want to make sure that you don´t lose it.

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Timber!!!!!

Post by Sam Gordon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:40 am

Alex, this post follows the design theme rather than being skate-related.

Many years ago (1991) I was a van driver/ roving journalist for a magazine called the Thames Chronicle. It covered river life and lasted less than twelve issues. One of the events down at Henley that we covered was the Thames Traditional Boat rally. Being only aware of the rather smart slippper launches as elegant river transport, I was astonished to see a great diversity of beautifully finished craft, from well-appointed skiffs to steam-powered canoes. Some elegant, some bizarre! Check this:

http://www.tradboatrally.com/gallery5.html

Ted Hall

Post by Ted Hall » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:06 am

Alex Luxat wrote:
Ted Hall wrote: Hey Alex -- I have your 33" foamy -- super light weight with medium flex, just the right snap for me. Sweetest deck I've ever ridden, floats like a dream. I got it from Bola at All Boards Sports, although I know Dan Gessmer has a few of your decks, too.

Many thanks --- Ted
Hey Ted,

sure you can re-laminate the nosetip:
Use 2 component "5 minute epoxy" or any epoxy based fast curing 2 component glue you can get at a home depot or any hardware store.
Usually they are easy to mix 1:1 binder:hardener.
Glue the nose (eventually using a syringe).
Put cling film / plastic wrap on it as an anti adhesive and clamp beween wood blocks/boards.
That should do it.
You can then sand it after 12h or so.

You can get edge protection from either a shop that deals in custom-car supply or one that is specialized in rubber (like hoses, foam, etc.).
In germany it is called "edge protection", it´s like rubber coated metal clips in a ribbon and you can shorten it with pliers. It´s normally used like if you cut a sunroof in your car and so.
It comes for different thicknesses. Get a thicker one for 2-4 mm edges.

You just push it on and maybe gently hammer it into place.
It really clings to the deck if there is griptape.
I would suggest using a few drops of superglue if you want to make sure that you don´t lose it.
Thanks for the excellent advice, Alex, and very thorough repair instrucitons, I appreciate it! I'll do as you suggested, I'm sure that'll take care of it, and I'll look for the edge protection. Many thanks --- Ted

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:38 am

Ted Hall wrote: Thanks for the excellent advice, Alex, and very thorough repair instrucitons, I appreciate it! I'll do as you suggested, I'm sure that'll take care of it, and I'll look for the edge protection. Many thanks --- Ted
Glad I could help.

Sam Gordon wrote:Alex, this post follows the design theme rather than being skate-related.

Many years ago (1991) I was a van driver/ roving journalist for a magazine called the Thames Chronicle. It covered river life and lasted less than twelve issues. One of the events down at Henley that we covered was the Thames Traditional Boat rally. Being only aware of the rather smart slippper launches as elegant river transport, I was astonished to see a great diversity of beautifully finished craft, from well-appointed skiffs to steam-powered canoes. Some elegant, some bizarre! Check this:

http://www.tradboatrally.com/gallery5.html
Wow, there are really some amazing boats on this rally.
I dig this setup:

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

nose guards

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Hey Ted, since youre in the states, just go to the auto supply shop and buy some door edge guards. They come in black, white and chrome. Slotted rubber strips with silicone adhesive in the middle......cut it to the length you want, cut a "v" at the center point, so it folds back without bunching up and just press it on....sticks well and comes off if you ever have to remove it. And since there's no metal strip, it wont damage the paint.
Here's a pic of one of my old Turners with one.

Ted Hall

Post by Ted Hall » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:13 am

Hey thanks for the suggestion, Christopher, that sounds like an excellent solution. And I really dig your Turner, very sweet board.

Alex, I did as you suggested with the epoxy, and it worked so well you can barely tell it ever got dinged -- perfect repair job, looks clean and feels incredibly strong. Thanks again for the excellent suggestions, I really appreciate your help. We had a warm day last weekend, and I took my Wefunk out for a cruise -- such a sweet ride, you are a master, amigo! Many thanks.