Wefunk Slalom Boards

Moderator: Alex Luxat

Alex Luxat

wefunk TS foamcore protos

Post by Alex Luxat » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:45 am

these are our new protos for tight slalom:

the specs are:
size: 750 x 215 mm / 29.5" x 8.5"
truckbase: 470, 490 mm / 18.5", 19.3" (inner holes)
8mm (0.3") airex foamcore, inforcements for trucks
hard flex
weight 600g (1.3 lb) (heavier than the gs -> additional torsion layers)
lightblue-metallic (blue dyed resin / silver texalium)

this is the s-camber foam proto designed by my partner Arne:

Last edited by Alex Luxat on Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Walters

Post by Alex Walters » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:34 pm

Those are some really nice looking boards. I've seen photos of many wefunks and they all look so amazing.

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Wefunk Koln 2004

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:47 pm

Alex and Arne are very good product designers and problem solvers. I had been impressed by the handsome deck shapes and designs from the website www.wefunk.de , but being a comparatively new company, the boards had yet to make an appearance in the European slalom races such as Paris or Greuningen (I may yet be corrected on this).

Koln was a good opportunity for a closer look.

Image Image Image Image

As you can see from the rider in the third image, I was not alone.

Even from a jobbing Am as myself, Alex was keen to glean what one would look for in a deck, and why. Typically I ride a Roe S-Camber with Radikal trucks. I happened to mention that I liked the wider tail with the S-Camber shape in order to cover the bases of foot placement error, but not so wide as to cause oversteer. A forgiving, yet still purposeful shape, if you like.

On the Saturday Arne's S-Cambers were prototypes on a stand. By Sunday, in time for the TS, one deck (above) had been built up ready to race. It was as yet untried.

As fate had it, Alex was drawn against me for the qualifying; he in the left hand, more slippery track, myself on the traction-loaded right-hand-side.
A parallel start ensued with Alex in my peripheral view. After around cone twelve I heard a loud German curse as my fellow competitor blew out of the course.

New board, new setup. Not surprising.

We were soon called again for the second run, tracks reversed. Again a comparable start, but Alex had obviously adjusted his trucks in the interim and now was charging down the right hand course. He crossed the line just a fraction ahead of me, but the times might not so relate because he caught an extra couple of cones on the way down.

That he could feel so comfortable and ride so aggressively on a new deck with untried setup speaks volumes for these boards. That they can be custom made to one's own specs adds to their attraction.

It is very healthy and exciting to see European companies such as Airflow, Indiana, Kaliber, Ettsexett and Wefunk producing decks that are comparable to the best of American product.

Choice has become that little bit more difficult. Good work, gents!
Last edited by Sam Gordon on Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:15 am

Alex, I loved the foam core blue one I tried, I plan to order one eventually. Never have a ridden such a light right. Doesn't need to be pulled through gates.

I love the woody dan gave me I am hauling ass on it, if I had this for the race I would have been a good 5 places up.

Nice work guys.

Hey Sam, hows everything?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:17 pm

Alex is a board building GENIUS!!!

And a great guy as well!

How's the little one doin', Alex?
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:31 pm

thanks for all the compliments on our work.

@ Sam: yeah, i know it was not sooo wise to ride a new setup at the race. but it made not a big difference cause i hadn´t had time to train TS the weeks before the race.
racing with you was fun and a pleasure.
i hoped to continue this in antibes but my family and business issues take more of my attention at the moment.

@ Karl: i´m really glad that you like the deck Donald gave to you.
we should try to find a way how to get you a s-camber foamy without making the shipment a huge part of the bill.

@ Ron: thanks! and thanks for asking: Sven is doing very fine.
he weighs 9kg now and he is ready to smile and laugh anytime when he is awake.

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

Koln

Post by Sam Gordon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:35 pm

Alex, racing both you and Donald was exciting and close. I was certainly made to work hard, too blooming hard for me! Everyone in Koln made me feel very welcome, from Andi picking me up at the airport, to Uwe looking after the UK crew thereafter.

I was also most impressed that Karl's beer-induced slalom technique improved once he stopped using a board (he certainly had wobbly shoes on Saturday evening); only one of your excellent products could possibly change all that! I might catch up with the lad at Morro... if my liver can take it.

It's very good to hear that Team Luxat is doing well. Best wishes to all.

One word as regards the new TS information. It may be of benefit to the American audience if you put the deck measurements and wheelbase in inches as well as mm so that each board can be directly comparable to an American counterpart.

Remember: The Wefunk boards perform as good as they look!

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:57 am

@ Sam: thanks for the hint: i added measurements in inches.

just wanted to show this pic:
left to right: my sisters hybrid/GS and TS boards, my TS board

we now got our grippins and they really rock. 84/81a for the rough cologne roads is just right for a fast and grippy ride. (could gone harder but i prefer a smooth ride).

yesterday we rode the ESC GS course (which is kinda tight) and i felt better on my short deck with the longer wheelbase than on my GS with the short wheelbase. i think the grippins (instead of avalons) had a part in this also.

Noah Koski

Post by Noah Koski » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:14 am

nice decks those are realy awsome i want one
SLALOM!
"Pain is temporary..........Glory is forever"

Ben Himovitz

THAT WOOD DECK LOOOKS SWEET

Post by Ben Himovitz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:44 am

that wood deck in the post above looks pretty cool. would you make another or just e-mail me a template for that shape? himotomas@hotmail.com thanks mate

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:05 pm

hey ben,
sure i would build you another one. (do you mean the one with the natural look or the black one?)
i put up general info about our pricing here:
viewtopic.php?p=23485#23485

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:02 am

I just set this up...

This is the lightest/ smoothest pumping deck I have ever ridden or seen. Nice Job guys!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Alex Luxat

Post by Alex Luxat » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:23 am

very sweet setup Karl!
the only thing i noticed when i was riding the other one was that it needs plenty of wedge in the rear. i had the fat 11° g-truck wedge in rear and could have used even a touch more.
but i suppose that´s a question of personal taste on how much steering you like on the rear truck.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:34 am

I just came to realize the brillance of this deck, I put avalons on it. While it may seem like nothing what stuck me as interesting is that it's an s-camber. I don't know about the new roe s-cambers but on my airflow it's hard to get avalons with out getting wheel bite. The way the wefunk foam cuts away allows you to put bigger wheels on. Still having fun!
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW