PRIME Time

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

PRIME Time

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 pm

The 3rd Annual Wiggle War in Sun Prairie, WI has been designated PRIME by the ISSA. It's Saturday and Sunday, June 21 and 22. On Saturday morning we have dual lane tight slalom. On Saturday afternoon we have a downhill race. On Sunday we do giant slalom. There are full details over on the ncdsa sign-up site.

ALL of your $20 entry fee goes to support the Colonial Club. It's a senior citizen center in Sun Prairie that is very deserving of your support. See: www.colonialclub.org

What you will get - besides of 2 days of fun racing - is a t-shirt, free refreshments at the slalom race (fruit, bagels or muffins, juice), and a bar-b-que Saturday evening. Ya can't beat that for $20. 2 people can't go to a movie and get some popcorn for $20.

Seriously. This is the 3rd year and we always have a really good race with a load of really good people. If you haven't already (you know who you are), get over to the ncdsa site and sign up!
Gravity is a terrible thing to waste.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Tom's right - fun and the price cannot be beat. The man is a saint and he has a wonderful family - everyone feels welcome in his home.

Also get this; I came in second place behind Oles in 2006, imagine that...

If I can come in second place then anyone can!

LAVIN
LAVIN

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Steve's right too - I am a nice guy. =P

I forgot to mention: The downhill race is NOT part of the ISSA sanction. It's just another bit of fun we throw in.

Paul Graf

Re: PRIME Time

Post by Paul Graf » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Tom Mangelsdorf wrote:What you will get - besides of 2 days of fun racing - is a t-shirt, free refreshments at the slalom race (fruit, bagels or muffins, juice), and a bar-b-que Saturday evening.
Hey I'm down on the Muffins, So count me me in!! Actually you had me at Juice box. BTW I'm cranky in the morning until I had my Juice Box.

I going try like hell not to miss it this year.

Paul

Doug Kadzban

Post by Doug Kadzban » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 pm

got a layout set up for the slalom race? like, with spacing and offsets and stuff? also, what's the DH hill like?
I like my women like I like my trucks:
TALL, loose, and squeaky!

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:58 pm

Well ... The first 2 years, the Saturday morning event was straight, tight slalom. In 2006 it was single lane, 5.5' centers. In 2007 it was dual lane 6' centers. Not exactly straight because the road itself curves, but there were no offset cones, just following the gentle arc of the road.

I guess I'd like to change that and have the more challenging TS course with offsets, but like I said, the road curves and I think it would be hard to keep the side-by-side courses identical. You run once on each course per round, but still, know what I mean?

Last year we ran the GS and DH on the same hill. I feel like I should be able to quantify the grade as a xx% grade, but I can't. It comes downhill for about a half block, then mellows as it rounds a 90* bend, then drops away steeply for a block and finally bottoms out about another half block past that. It's a fun hill for the GS. Last year the police had the radar out and they were clocking us in the low 20's.

As far as the DH goes, it's more fun than serious. Bragging rights. Nobody wore leathers.

This year I want to move the GS to another hill in the area. Several blocks long and curvey. Not sure how long the cable is on the timing system though. I need to find that out before I trudge up-n-down the hill gathering signatures for the road closure permit.

Same thing with the DH race. There is another hill in the area that is faster and more technical. Since we do the DH in 4 man heats with the fastest two advancing to the next round, there is no timer so the length of that hill won't be an issue.

Doug Kadzban

Post by Doug Kadzban » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:00 pm

sweet, when is the entry fee due?

edit:
i'm somewhat wondering if i should lug my slide board along too...a little impromptu slide-off after the races?
I like my women like I like my trucks:
TALL, loose, and squeaky!

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:00 pm

You can pay at race day. The first year I tried to get people to pay up front, but I think only 1 or 2 people did. Last year I think one person did. So, pay when you come.

Yeah, we always have a little free time. There's time between the slalom and downhill events for people to get some lunch. Last year we all started gathering at the downhill location well before the race was due to start and there was much hill bombing and sliding. And smiling.

I still like people to get over the ncdsa site and sign up though so I have an idea of how many to expect. I hafta buy the foods for the bar-b-que.

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Little update - 2 of the Madison TV stations are covering it. WMTV - the NBC affiliate and the Madison CW station (I forgot their call letters). Woo-hoo! We're all gonna be TV stars. In Madison anyway.