Where are the Midwesterners going next year?

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Where are the Midwesterners going next year?

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:17 am

Will there be a race in Columbus?
Will St Louis keep up the tradition?
Will Chicagos race be in the burbs or downtown?

Who are the mystery girls?

Who's going to Denver? Pump Station? Indian School? The Farm? Hood?The Dixie? (will the dixie BE the worlds?)

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:27 pm

i have been saying,next year,i just want to got to four or five big races,but want to put together a regional series.who is in?cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:17 pm

I think we finally have enough skaters out here to do a regional series....

For races, i'm in for the Buckeye (if there is one), Denver, the Dixie, probably Hood,....not too sure about Cali, depends on the location......but something regional would be cool...Chicago, St Lou, Columbus......there's others too...........good idea

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:46 pm

I don't have the funds to travel a lot, so I would love to have more races here in the Midwest. I can go to St Louis. I hope they're having their Memorial Day race. Chicago is easy to get to. I think we oughta get Dave Larson to host one up in Minneapolis. Seems like he's doing a great job launching the scene up there. The Sun Prairie race is still on for June. Love to have y'all here. I could even do Detroit, maybe Ohio. Like I said though, with my available vacation time and travel funds, I may have to choose one bewtween St Louis, Detroit, or Ohio.

All I know is that I want to race MORE this coming year than I did last year.
Gravity is a terrible thing to waste.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:27 pm

Mollica's hill in Columbo is beautiful....go to www.photobucket.com and type in my book name in the upper right KCRCHRISB .....check out the Buckeye02 2006 photobook...when you see it, you'll know what i mean....Chicago downtown is great....not the steepest hill, but hands down the best innercity skatesite you can imagine...it's just great to be downtown in Chicago...period...
St Louis is a great weekend...it's more than just a race, its a whole community thing...that's the only race i've ever flown to by myself...nobody else could make it from here, but i wouldnt miss it.....(and Chainsaw has a very cool spread) ....the whole vibe is just 100% skateboarder.

As for Detroit, i dont really see it, unfortunately.....we have a great hill at the campus north of the city...actually a few great hills there....but outside of sundays when schools closed, i just dont see i happening....too much opposition....There is one good spot north of downtown in Rochester....not sure if we can pull it off, but it's something we've tossed around...

In any event...there are definitely places for races within driving distance for ya Tom......no doubt about it

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:45 am

well,look at the start,chicago,wisconsin,minnesota,st lou,columbus and maybe detroit,sounds like a 5 to six month series to me.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Minnesota could participate, I'd need to see if Pops, Ted and Matt would be interested as well. What about timing gear? We don't have any.

Does the Chi team have one or two? CB?

Francios

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:13 pm

We've got a Trakmate with strips for two lanes..........Chiguys have one too....the Timer wouldnt be a problem....neither would cones

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:06 am

i could go two ways on this.one,permited races,there are a couple out there already ie:st lou,sun prairie,the rest could be outlaw.we ran outlaw this summer,no bust(but nearly struck by lightning).park slalom could be added to this too.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:54 am

Maybe this church parking lot I skate all the time .They love me for some reason, always super friendly .The more I think about it the more I think it could work.Chris which one did ya pick the Monti or the Punch? Later Dave
not so only,lonely,slalom sk8ter

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:38 pm

dave,i am so sorry,i forgot to say thanks,that was so cool of you,we are actually saving them for the drive down to dixie,in your honor!of course i'm gonna take the punch.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:39 pm

btw,in terms of spots,if you need to go outlaw,thats cool,i am sure detroit,minn/st paul are like chicago.if you just skate nobody cares,but the minute you seek permission,forget it.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Yes the Punch is the best really.That one is called the Punch Punch,wierd.But the Monti is a close 2nd.Go get em in N.C.. Dave

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:12 pm

Church;s are actually great places to skate....you know when there's going to be traffic and you know when they'll be cleared out...usually peaceful and quiet....a good place for a no hassle skate.....might be good for a pre-race-outlaw....but parkinglots arent really the best place for an actual race....tough time getting a good draw of people out to a parking lot....we'd need some kind of decent graded hill.... good thought though

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:29 pm

Yes you are correct sir.

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:56 am

Well I just got back from a quick session at "The Church". Dark 5:30 here and probably the last day over 40.Said goodbye to the maintenance guy,he said "why don't you guys put on a demo for the kids next year"?I said O.K..This has a nice incline to flat and a opposing incline so you can hit a uphill that curves left around the church. You can get 40- 45 cones in a hybrid single or 40 in dual tight.You could actually have one racer start on the left incline ,one on the right, and pass each other going in opposite directions.I did take my meds today.Later Dave

Steve Pederson
Steve
Steve

Post by Steve Pederson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:03 am

:-)
Last edited by Steve Pederson on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:44 am

looks good.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing

Anthony Yacobelli

Post by Anthony Yacobelli » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:47 pm

Yo Bara, what about the saginaw derby hill???
Anthony

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 pm

aw those guys fucked me around too much.....i got ahold of the "manager" who wanted to know more about what we do....i sent him pics...he had to bring it before a committee, which i expected...they approved it (which i actually DIDNT expect)....but there was a fee involved...about 300.00 as i remember...which isnt bad, but that doesnt include insurance, which i could secure, but it's another cost....passing that on to the skaters in a regional event that doesnt attract 70-100 skaters will get costly......shit, i just wanted permission to get up there and ride it a few times!.....

anyway, is Saginaw possible?.....yep.......but it will take some work...if it was closer to home it'd be easier, but taking an hour hike on the freeway everytime i wanted to check something out it a bit stiff..............and in a nutshell, i'm too lazy to do all that.....

That really is a rad hill though......not sure what the pavement is like top-to-bottom....we have to jump that fence and take a closer look at it

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 am

thats where we could help.get th insurance through ASSA,300 is not a lot to shell out compared to street closure cost,make the entry 40 bucks and with 30 guys,the nut is covered.nova and i could run the timing,bracketing.think about it.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:56 am

hmmmm.......lets toss this around with Nova and Fadell as well friday night before we get too stoned to think....

Anthony Yacobelli

Post by Anthony Yacobelli » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:18 pm

whenever you can/want to go check the saginasty hill lemme know
Anthony