Be a SUPERSTAR in Wisconsin, June 17, 2006

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Be a SUPERSTAR in Wisconsin, June 17, 2006

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Mon May 01, 2006 4:04 am

Here’s your chance to be a super-star! Sun Prairie is a medium-sized town in south-central Wisconsin. There are skateboarders here, but they are mostly middle schoolers and high schoolers that mostly just attempt to do kickflips on popsicle stick boards with tiny little rock-hard white wheels. I am the lone slalom skater in Sun Prairie. Working through a local organization I have scheduled a skateboard slalom race on June 17, 2006.

This town is completely ignorant of what slalom skateboarding is. A few days ago I received a phone call from the local paper to interview me about the race. I had to start by telling them what slalom racing is. I don’t expect the locals that show up for the race to be very good. That’s where you come in. I already have been in touch with some experienced slalom racers from other parts of Wisconsin and from Minnesota and Illinois. They have agreed to come. I think that when the locals here see what real slalom racing looks like, they will get bit by the slaler bug just like all of us, and we will get the slalom scene started in south-central Wisconsin.

You experienced racers will be like Gods on your unusual boards, large wheels, wedged risers, and so on. It will be a chance to really spread the stoke and inspire and enlighten; to show a whole town-full of country folk something they have never seen before. You may even end up signing autographs!

Here’s the rest of the good stuff – the race is being sponsored by a local senior citizen center – The Colonial Club. Your $15 entry fee will get you a t-shirt, free refreshments after the race, and the rest of the money will go to the senior center to help them continue their good work in this town. The top three finishers in each division will get medals on ribbons – kinda like Olympic medals.

Here’s the only draw-back: being that it’s the first time they have ever tried this, they are reluctant to go too big. The only stretch of road they would reserve for us is the road right outside the senior center itself. It’s nearly flat … just a slight incline. We know that experienced racers could pump forever on a course like that, but like I said before, I want to get the locals excited about this too. So we will have a short (12 cones, no offsets) dual course. For the 14-18 year olds and the 19 and over division, the cones will be 6.5’ and for the 13 and under division we’ll have just 8 cones 9’ apart or maybe 9 cones 8’ apart.

Please, please, pleeeeease – I need you experienced racers to come and support this one. The people at Colonial Club said that if it goes well this year, we can surely do this year after year. And if there is sufficient interest this year, they will work with me on getting a real slalom race going on a real hill next year. I know the race itself this year is kind of lame and you may be thinking to wait and see what happens next year. But if I don’t get enough participants this year, there won’t be a next year. So please help me out this year. Be a pioneer. Plant the seed. Next year we can reap big rewards.

There are some really great hills in Sun Prairie, so bring your longboards too and after the race we can all go on a tour of the hills in the area.

Contact me via e-mail at mangeto@dwd.state.wi.us and I can get you a registration form

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Tom.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 01, 2006 11:41 am

Tom,

Can you make a post in the contest calendar topic too?
That'll have it registered for World Ranking points.

Thanks!

/Jani

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:07 am

tomaso,wassup.the freak bros are ready,the timer is ready.lets nail down a couple of details.give me an email at chiillskateboards.com.later.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Buckeye Open

Post by Kenny Mollica » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:45 am

Tom-

Why dont you come on down to the Buckeye and check out a race before you throw your race? Meet the community and check out the best.

See you there?

Kenny Mollica

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:42 am

Love to man. I'm so desparate for some slalom action that I decided to have my own race, try to get things going here in south-central wisconsin. Of course what I'd really like is for someone else to have a race so I could skate. I know they happen in Chicago - I want to get down to one of those next time I get the chance. cfav et al are coming to my humble little wisconsin race this weekend. I hope to get more plugged in then.

Maybe I'll see you too one of these days ...

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Tom, I'm bringing two new skaters to slalom up with me - my mini posse. One's a very good street skater and ramp lover the other's just a lover :) (he's got his own posse)

Do you need for them to do anything? I'm coming up with the CHIxILL pack. Cheers,
SL
LAVIN

Tom Mangelsdorf
Mangels
Mangels

Post by Tom Mangelsdorf » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:28 am

Cool. Excellent. The contest rules say knee and elbow pads and a helmet. Obviously they should bring a skarteboard, but even that can be provided. Chris F said they will bring some demo boards and Dave L from Minneapolis said he has 3 slalom boards. I don't care how good he is, I bet he can't ride all 3 at once! Just come and add fuel to the fire. It's gonna be SO MUCH FUN. The more people we get, the more fun it'll be.

Thanks so much for coming up to support it. Honestly - I think we are going to have more out-of-town and out-of-state people than we will locals. Sun Prairie is a very stubborn town; very resistent to change, know what I mean? Hopefully they will see all you good people out there rippin it up and having a ball and they will catch on.

This is not 100% fer sure, but one of the Madison TV stations said they might come out and shoot some video for the news.

See ya Saturday!

Tom.

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Pleasent Prairie

Post by Stephen Lavin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:59 am

Tom, good job today running your first event - we had much fun. The event today was all grassroots and it was great to see some young contestants. Today was Maxx Lavin's first ever slalom race and he cannot stop talking about the back hills we group bombed. Of course he has Oles as a new idol.

Thanks also for opening your home up to the unruly bunch - we may not look too bad but I'm sure we smelled a bit :)

Next year?? Thanks again,
SL
LAVIN

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Steak!!!

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Tom,

I too thank you and your family for having us in your home...the steak was awesome!!

What a great day watching some young skaters catch the stoke!
I'll be back without fail if you decide to pull this off again, Great job!!

Bryce here was all tricked out and ready to rock...

Stephen, Thanks for toting me around......Glad I made a good impression.
Maxx is a great guy. It'll be fun watching him improve!!
It looks like he's got a good friend in Troy. See you guys next week!!

Dave Larson

Post by Dave Larson » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:41 pm

Bryce and Kyle rocked.Tom thanks, your family is so cool and made us all feel welcome.Cfav Cnova nice seein ya again hope to see you in July,I love ya man.Tod Oles is my new Idol.S Camber.Steve you have such a cool syle and U fast.Good luck to you guys in Ohio.Tom remember 5.5. Later Dave
not so only,lonely,slalom sk8ter

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:54 pm

good times is sun prairie.Tom,thanks you to your family also,all pitched in to run this race.this was the kind of race,where big things could come down the road.tom organized the race with the town and lots of parents brought their kids out to race,which meant active spectators also.the kids had a ton of fun which meant the parents were way stoked.tom also had support from local shops and companies that were very happy to be involved.some of the locals raced and are hooked.there was a plethora of boards to ride,everyone opened up their quiver and every racer had a setup which was suited to them.the swag was distributed via raffle and some local kids are riding new decks today.
the bbq rocked but the hill session was the highlight.this area has many great hills and with great first impression made with the race,maybe some of the hills could open up as possible race venues.Tom,i meant what i said,you do a race on one of those hills,i help promote and run it.
the Equine timer worked flawlessly and was a snap to set up.in true freak bros fashion,we forgot the tripods for the eye beams,so we taped them to the tops of cones and it worked perfect.once again,kudos to the inventor of duct tape.
my last highlight was watching my boys ride.during the hill session,ben(13) disappeared,as we were walking up a hill,we see ben screaming down a steep fast road,needing to make a corner and avoid a landscaping trailer to make it.he committed and stuck it.after i started breathing again,i had to congratulate him for his guts,but give him the typical father schtick using better judgement next time.but i gotta tell you,he stepped it up.
another road trip in the can,cfav
CHIxILL on tour 06
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:35 am

I couldn't help myself. Check the mpg of Lavin Jr., first ever race, check the finish... and the QuickSilver 90Kg deck.

Classic in the Lavin style (except he's wearing socks). BTW, he never knew his dad could skate until February of this year - hmmm, what a surprise. hehe :)

http://www.ballpicks.com/slavin/MaxxQuickSilver.MPG

Future CHIxILL Pack..
LAVIN