Chi-town Shootout 05

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Chi-town Shootout 05

Post by Christopher Bara » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:09 pm

Hey Freak Bros......It looks like the eastcoast-midwest race schedule has some pretty big gaps in it past mid June.......any plans on you doing a shindig down on the lakefront again this summer?

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:11 pm

yes.we are planning a race tentitive july 9th,may push it back a week though.it will be part of 66's series.rick,when you come to chicago,route 66 starts here so you have to skate it.look for a park slalom friday pm and tight and hrbrid on saturday.i am working on a location,we will probably close down a street.if you talk to greg fadell,tell him to call me,i lost his number.i want to go to the feb pumpstation and want to see if he is planning on going.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:48 pm

july 22nd and 23rd.the 22nd an outlaw,discipline tbd.23rd tight and hybrid.we are considering these races to be the am championships of some sort.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Chi Town! Yeah baby! We are trying to work out a way for the DownHill Billies Crew to represent. Lenny and I are trying to figure out a way that we can all hook up and ride up together.

C Favero! Dude, we definitely want to show up for that gig!

We will watch for updates!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:40 am

Word!
HOSS

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:23 pm

"I want, I want ,I want!!!" soryy.. just being a spoiled brat!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:46 pm

dave,this will be fun.think part hoedown,part thowdown,all showdown chi-town style.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:24 am

where the f#@k are all you pussies.its almost summer.nobody has anything to post on the midwest?!?.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:45 am

Uh... Chris,
You callin me a pussy??? I gotchure pussy!!! Can't wait to visit you gents!!! The park looks loverly! If anybodys deck goes into the lake, I'll volunteer to have you hold me by the ankles and fetch it!!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:25 pm

The scenery looks great. I can't wait!!!
HOSS

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:52 pm

Dave and Lenny,
Maybe we can make the drive to Chi Town together... I could come up to Dave G's house one day and then we can leave the next morning picking you up on the way and we can share the gas...which is going to require a third mortgage!

What you think?
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:59 pm

hi,i just wanted to make sure you guys are awake.this is shaping up good.this should be a killer time here.we want everyone to have a greattime and have a chance to see some cool chicago sights,so that means no outlaw g/s friday.we want to organize a city cruise pub crawl freeride session that friday night.you know,skate the city,hit some bars ,ride the el,etc.what do you guys want?
Freak Bros. Racing

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:07 pm

hmmmm.....if the races start saturday morning, then we'll roll in Friday late afternoon...drink friday night....race...then drink saturday night (what time do you think we'll wrap up Saturday?)........
how bout's you have a "party central" at one of the pubs on Saturday, for handing out prizes and general festivities (and chow)......something like the way we all got together last time.....
and a pub crawl for friday....i'll have Nancy with me though, so a cityskate's out for me

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:02 am

Yo NCL and Dave G, that sounds awesome!! There's nothing quite like the raod trip experience with friends. I think Jenny's going to want to come as well (though we haven't talked about it for a while).
HOSS

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 am

chris b,that is essentially the plan.lenny p,pick a fight about a week bfore the race with your wife(like about a cat or your in-laws) and dont speak to her prior to leaving for chicago,its worked for me in the past.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Your plan sounds like a riot!! (in more ways than one). LOL
HOSS

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:02 pm

Ohhhhh.... This is gonna hurt!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:10 pm

Dave, you know Jenny. I didn't say I was going to take the advice. To quote Jim Croce "you don't tug on Superman's cape..." LOL
HOSS

Ben Buckles

Post by Ben Buckles » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi I'm new to slalom, but I ride in St. Louis with them daggers. Anywho I live in Springfielld, south of you guys on 55. I plan to be there. It sounds like alot of fun.

John Dillon

I'll try to round up some troops too....

Post by John Dillon » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:59 pm

I've never been to Chicago, but I've met plenty of cool Chicagoans who skate....I'd like to eat some REAL ribs....windskate thru the cones....surf some concrete waves...you know the deal...btw Ben....those Daggers are for real(v cool cats). I hope to be there too....will the Kill City Crew make it as well?

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:23 pm

John,

Kill City will be there or I'll shame them like the dogs they are....;-)

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:19 am

heh heh....i'll be there for sure...with my hot wifee in tow...........wouldnt miss it for the world.........Fadell is coming for sure........SOB's coming for sure........Rinaldi is 99%

John D, it's a great place to race.

and yes.....unless the world starts spinning backward....Oles will blow my doors off and shame me like the dog i am....

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:42 am

Chris,

I talked to the Freaks yesterday and it sounds like hella fun!!

Kara wants to make the trip over too. She'll be 6-7 weeks post major back surgery so we'll
be playing that by ear, but I'm betting she will be there....

So here's my plan... we get the gals to a shoe store just before us guys head out on the city skate tour/ pub crawl and SHAZAM they'll never know we left....Just a thought....

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:17 pm

I'm getting more stoked by the day!!!! It''l be a KILL/FREAK/DAGGERS/FUN/BILLIES good time (did I miss anyone?).
HOSS

John Dillon

Chi-town Shootout...

Post by John Dillon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:56 pm

It would be great to see you all there and I will work hard to get there myself...Oles looked fast at MSSS but w/a Chicago wind this summer....we might have to watch out, ChrisB! Looks like a Kill/Freak/Fun/DHB Summer Reunion is possible!!

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:26 pm

Tell ya what John....we had such a good time in Chicago last July, we did the 5 hour drive and did it again in August.....Great people, great sights, great weather, great pubs, ......

whether this is a big event or low key, it will be a great weekend

no better place to get together with your skatebrothers than in the middle of one of the greatest cities in the U.S. of A

John Dillon

Chicago!

Post by John Dillon » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:01 pm

I'll toast to that, ChrisB!

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue May 03, 2005 8:09 pm

Hey CFav...i'm looking at my Chi-city map...it only goes up to Lincoln Park...where on this map would i find Wilson?.....i'm looking for a decent hotel.....
Last year when we came in, i tried booking one a month in advance and almost everything decent was sold out. If folks are coming in from out of state, they have to get reservations in pretty soon.
Do you have any new updates?

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue May 03, 2005 9:26 pm

chris ,you will want to book down town as the uptown area is mostly residential.there are some sro hotels,but full of prostitutes and junkies live in them.the hill is right next to the park,i will post pics of the hill and bowl this week.wilson ave is a 10 min beautiful drive up n. lsd to wilson.the park is a shoreline park on lake michigan so bring your beach gear.we can bbq there ,whatever,just no beer.the cops ticket and confiscate there.so be under cover.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue May 03, 2005 10:18 pm

Thanks Chris...i'll start shopping around.
Are you going to post on the NCDSA Calendar or that Contests Forum here on SS.com?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue May 03, 2005 10:31 pm

OK. I just read this thread from top to bottom. WHERE IN CHICAGO is this race? I think I read somewhere or heard someone say it was a diifferent lake-front park than Oak Street Beach.

Could I prevail upon someone to get a specific location?

Thank you so very much,

Cordially yours,

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue May 03, 2005 10:35 pm

Northside of town along the lakefront........pretty odd the first time you see it...big skyscrapers on the left side of the road...beach volleyball, beautiful parks and blue water on the right...
it's a great place

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue May 03, 2005 11:34 pm

officially,the race is at wilson ave and LSD.this is all part of chicago's lake front.this road is right next to wilson skatepark.the official event is sat july 23rd,with a rain date of july 24th.the hill is like washington st(maybe a little steeper,but same length)is 4 lanes with a median curb and the asphalt is butter.the sched for the day goes like this.9.00 to 11.00ish tight slalom jam format.12 to 1lunch which we will try to provide.we will use the finishes from the tight jam to bracket the hybrid and run till that finshes around 4?this race is designed to be amatuer only so,we will bracket everyone.if there are 36 racers 1 seed will face 36 seed and so on.if a pro wants to come we could use your help,but the racing is really just for the AMs.this race is in the center of the country,so i hope most of the AMs can make it as there will be a planeticket,entry fee and room for the worlds on the line here most likely.around 5 ish the bowl contest starts.this race should have a good crowd and lots of crossover.the name of the event is "The Chicago Shootout".we are diong this with the chicago park district and local sponsors,but please help spread the word,we need some schwag.Stillboardin.com stepped up last year,but this years event will be bigger, and we need some help.lookin forward to a great event.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue May 03, 2005 11:43 pm

Thanks, Chris,

That puts everything in perspective.
I probably won't be there, but couldn't pass up the chance to bust your balls :-)

(Seriously, as usual, I'll probably know July 20th if I can head out for a race in illinois on the 23rd. Thanks for the followup.)

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue May 03, 2005 11:46 pm

that sounds well thought out...(but then again, you knew that)...
I talked to several pro's last weekend about what was going on this year and almost every one of them brought up Chicago...they just didnt know much about it or where to sign up
Your town's is a pretty big draw .....

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed May 04, 2005 2:32 am

well,what i mean if pros want to come by all means,i am kicking up the event a notch and dont see any significant prize money,but we could run a prorace.if there are say like 6 pros,we will run that separate than the ams.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu May 05, 2005 7:52 pm

Chicago hotels can be pricey, and they're all over the city. If you're coming into town and are not familiar with the lakeshore area, the best, close place to find a number of hotels is in the Navy Pier Area. You'll get a variety of different price ranges from 125 to 400 a night.

The hotel with the best bang for the buck, per the travel agents at my office, is the Swissotel. Near Navy Pier. If you have a AAA Membership and book thru AAA, the price is 324.00/two people, for two weekend nights, including all taxes and surcharges. That's under 150.00 a night straight up.

Just a suggestion.
Many others to chose from as well.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri May 06, 2005 1:03 am

Hotel Allegro Chicago.
Smaller rooms, but a cool 1920's hotel.
comes to 246.00 for two days including taxes and surcharge if you go thru AAA travel.
10 bucks more/night for a premier room with two queensize beds

(hotel taxes total 15% in downtown chicago)

If you shop around and cant find a price you can work with, and you have a AAA membership, call this number:
Lynn Grzech: 1-800-551-4311. She can give special rates for Chicago, way below the posted rates
Last edited by Christopher Bara on Fri May 06, 2005 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Fri May 06, 2005 2:50 am

C-Fav will there be start ramps or will it be push start. The Texas Outlaws are planning on heading down to Chicago for your race. Your amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Sat May 07, 2005 4:51 am

start ramps eddy.try the super 8 on michigan ave and ontario.go to the city of chicago site ubder tourism,they post a lot of specials there.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun May 08, 2005 8:34 am

Look forward to racing in Chicago. And racing that C-Nova character. The Texas Outlaws will be there in full force, I am hoping to come in much leaner and faster. I will not be packing as much meat as last year. Will be sporting my mullet. Counting the days. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Scott Ward

Post by Scott Ward » Wed May 25, 2005 4:13 am

Chris Favero,
E-mail me. I've got a sponsor who is interested in providing product for you.

Scott@stillboardin.com

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:12 am

Just a little over a month and a half away. Whether or not my lovely wife will be joining me is now up in the air due to finding out that we're gonna have a baby (stoked to be a future proud papa!!!!!!). Hey DHB what are your travel plans? As the old Irsh saying goes, "two shorten the road."
HOSS